Do the Lakers scare you

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers have the some matchup problem with the Suns as last year.

:confused:

Uh, it was last year that we pushed the Suns to 7 games when most of you were clamoring for a sweep. It was last year that we Lakers fans talked about liking the Lakers/Suns matchup for the very same reasons you just put as a positive for the Suns. Kobe enjoys being chained to a philosophy that wins games, whatever it may need to be.

What concerns me is not that the Suns like to run and that would hurt us (it always does) but that they have improved in the half-court set this season. When the playoffs come, and the half court set dominates it comes down to execution. It is a fantastic matchup.

Our matchup problems with the Suns come only when we try to go small ball with your team and run with them (as we did in every regular season game last year with the Suns). When we slow tempo and make it half-court, I like the matchups.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers have the some matchup problem with the Suns as last year. They have to maintain supreme confidence in a slow-paced game, and Kobe doesn't enjoy being chained to a scheme like that. They like to run a bit now, but they can't yet run with the Suns -- not enough horses.

The Lakers could certainly make life miserable for the Suns, but I don't think they have enough half-court execution to do what they'd need to do to beat the Suns in a playoff series.

I think your right. Kobe is at his best in a running game but I can't say the same for the rest of the team. However, Kobe and Odom are a dangerous combination no matter how it is packaged.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Sure. They have a first ballot HOF player in his prime and first ballot HOF coach who seems to be rejuvenated. That along with the Staples homecourt advantage is good enough to probably win a couple against the Suns (D'Antoni was absolutely schooled by Jackson in the playoffs last year) and if the ball bouces their way after that it could be a series. The Suns are the better team though and should win barring something weird happening.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
:confused:

Uh, it was last year that we pushed the Suns to 7 games when most of you were clamoring for a sweep. It was last year that we Lakers fans talked about liking the Lakers/Suns matchup for the very same reasons you just put as a positive for the Suns.

Yes, and it was last year that the series would have been over much more quickly if not for an egregious sequence of horribly blown calls. I hope you aren't counting on getting that same degree of fluke help from the officiating again. Replay last year's series with the identical squads, and the Suns would win much more handily.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know that's your fallback. You've obviously missed my point.

It's not a fallback, it is a fact of life. You play through the calls, good and bad. And I disagree with your point...it is highly likely that Tim Thomas doesn't make that shot and the series is over.

Replay it again with the same squads and the Lakers still have a fantastic gameplan and Phil outcoaches D'Antoni. You want to throw variables out there, maybe Smush doesn't choke in three straight games this time.

The Suns fans underestimated the Lakers based on the style of the regular season matchups where the Lakers countered with small ball lineups and got beat. Countless times I posted that the playoff gameplan would be different, and the times we employed it in the regular season it was successful against the Suns. The series was what it was not because the Suns were "off" but because they were matched up against a successful gameplan designed specifically to take them out, and it was executed well for a majority of the series. It came close. Both teams learned from it and if you notice the way the Lakers are playing this year they are showing that they learned from the experience.

The only way replaying it would lead to a significant change for the Suns would be if the Suns got to keep the memories of what happened, and the Lakers didn't. It's a silly argument.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers don't scare me as much as the Staples Center does.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's not a fallback, it is a fact of life. You play through the calls, good and bad. And I disagree with your point...it is highly likely that Tim Thomas doesn't make that shot and the series is over.

Replay it again with the same squads and the Lakers still have a fantastic gameplan and Phil outcoaches D'Antoni. You want to throw variables out there, maybe Smush doesn't choke in three straight games this time.

The Suns fans underestimated the Lakers based on the style of the regular season matchups where the Lakers countered with small ball lineups and got beat. Countless times I posted that the playoff gameplan would be different, and the times we employed it in the regular season it was successful against the Suns. The series was what it was not because the Suns were "off" but because they were matched up against a successful gameplan designed specifically to take them out, and it was executed well for a majority of the series. It came close. Both teams learned from it and if you notice the way the Lakers are playing this year they are showing that they learned from the experience.

The only way replaying it would lead to a significant change for the Suns would be if the Suns got to keep the memories of what happened, and the Lakers didn't. It's a silly argument.

So if the Suns were the beneficiary of incredibly biased officiating against the Lakers that allowed the Suns to win games that they really didn't deserve to win then you'd be fine with that because the Suns players won the ballgames?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's not a fallback, it is a fact of life. You play through the calls, good and bad.

Yes, but you're trying to use last year's series as an indication of what might happen in the future. Another fact of life is that you don't get the same breaks all the time.

Isn't it equally silly to point to last year's artificially close series and attempt to draw any conclusions from it?

This year's teams are different and the circumstances are different. In my opinion, one way in which the circumstances are different is that the Lakers are unlikely to be gifted a game on an outrageous officiating gaffe. You think that's not relevant. Okay, have it your way. But the bottom line is that the circumstances this year will be different, so you might as well let go of your past almost-glory.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Players also lose them. Unless you're the Lakers.

You must be registered for see images

Ahhh, home officiating at its best. One does wonder how they could have missed that one.

Trust me, the Suns will be the one playing mad next time around.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, okay. The players are the reason you lost. Sheesh.

They are. What's the surprise? Smush had three of his worst games in the last three losses. Everyone shot poorly. Tim Thomas got a wide open look at a three to save the series. Players make plays. :shrug:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if the Suns were the beneficiary of incredibly biased officiating against the Lakers that allowed the Suns to win games that they really didn't deserve to win then you'd be fine with that because the Suns players won the ballgames?

When did this happen? Fairytale land?

Sacramento just called and they have some openings for fans. Send them that post and they'll be all over bringing you on board.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
It's not a fallback, it is a fact of life. You play through the calls, good and bad.

Yes, but you're trying to use last year's series as an indication of what might happen in the future. Another fact of life is that you don't get the same breaks all the time.

Isn't it equally silly to point to last year's artificially close series and attempt to draw any conclusions from it?

This year's teams are different and the circumstances are different. In my opinion, one way in which the circumstances are different is that the Lakers are unlikely to be gifted a game on an outrageous officiating gaffe. You think that's not relevant. Okay, have it your way. But the bottom line is that the circumstances this year will be different, so you might as well let go of your past almost-glory.

So the PHX/Lakers series was "artificially close", yet one bad call resulted in the series going to 7 games?

:biglaugh:

Moving thread to Smack Shack in 3...2...1...

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Some of the worst fans in basketball are those who have experienced great years in the past. They only view the world as they once saw it. Very difficult to convince them of anything. If the Suns are fortunate to win the West and never play the Lakers you can only imagine what they will say. For me bring on the Lakers and Mavs as any championship without them in our wake will always be questioned.

The Laker fans just don't get it. A-M-A-R-E is the spelling and we beat you without him. We are no where near the team we were last year for better or worse. I'm so looking forward to the next regular season game with the Lakers. It is time to turn the page.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I really don't understand how you can be so smart and yet so stubborn. Officiating mistakes take place throughout a game...you had one near the end that makes you think it is more important. It's not. In the first game, Tim Thomas fouled Kobe late in the game where we would have cut it to two, and admitted the foul. No call. It happens. Dwyayayayane Wade won the Finals on a phantom call.

That doesn't change the fact that the Lakers came in with a damn good gameplan, and that if played again the gameplan would have been the same. It wasn't "artificially close." It was close.

And I'm not comparing it to anything to determine future success. When someone posted that matchups would be "the same problem" this year for the Lakers, I pointed out that matchups weren't a problem last year. The only time the Lakers have matchup problems are when Phil inserts a small ball lineup against the suns (and that was last year...I think the Lakers have improved there just as the suns have improved in the half-court set).

Continue to try and read things into my posts that I don't suggest.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of the worst fans in basketball are those who have experienced great years in the past. They only view the world as they once saw it. Very difficult to convince them of anything. If the Suns are fortunate to win the West and never play the Lakers you can only imagine what they will say. For me bring on the Lakers and Mavs as any championship without them in our wake will always be questioned.

The Laker fans just don't get it. A-M-A-R-E is the spelling and we beat you without him. We are no where near the team we were last year for better or worse. I'm so looking forward to the next regular season game with the Lakers. It is time to turn the page.

Go ahead and get ready to laugh, because every time I've said this you have in the past. I like the Lakers matchup with the Suns better WITH Amare than without. WITH Amare it is more of a traditional game. Without, the Suns play an incredibly weird style of ball that is all over the court. You are a better team with Amare, but I like the matchup of the Lakers vs. Suns better with him in there. Plus, it forces Phil not to go to small ball to counter the style of play (where we used to suck) and keeps us in a bigger game (where we matchup better).

And I can be ridiculous too: Some of the worst fans in basketball are the fans of teams who have never won a title. They are bitter and whine all time. Look at Sacramento, ultimate example.

However, I think the Suns fans (for the most part) are far better than that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Go ahead and get ready to laugh, because every time I've said this you have in the past. I like the Lakers matchup with the Suns better WITH Amare than without. WITH Amare it is more of a traditional game. Without, the Suns play an incredibly weird style of ball that is all over the court. You are a better team with Amare, but I like the matchup of the Lakers vs. Suns better with him in there. Plus, it forces Phil not to go to small ball to counter the style of play (where we used to suck) and keeps us in a bigger game (where we matchup better).

And I can be ridiculous too: Some of the worst fans in basketball are the fans of teams who have never won a title. They are bitter and whine all time. Look at Sacramento, ultimate example.

However, I think the Suns fans (for the most part) are far better than that.

We beat you when our only real weapon last year was outside shooting. Now, we have outside shooting AND an inside presence, and you think you'll do better against the Suns. I commend you for sticking with your team, but if you go big (say with Kwame), we'll still run you out of the gym because athletically, Amare is like a small forward.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
The Amare factor will be enough to have Kwame Brown crapping his pants by Game 2. Suprised no one really mentioned anything about the absence of Amare last year (unless I overlooked it).

- The horrible officiating started in Game 1 when Luke Walton dismantled Tim Thomas. The tone was set right then and there.

- The Lakers can't hang with PHX, as long as they don't fall into Phil's trap. Hell, he'd likely throw a 2-3 zone at PHX right off the bat... just to screw with their minds.

If PHX can just play the ball they're accustomed to... which is opposing their will against anyone who wants to run with them... then I don't see any team beating them 4 out of 7 times.

That being said, it's a lonnnnng way to April. The core needs to stay injury-free. I don't want to hear any woulda-coulda-shoulda's this year.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Ddogg

First of all you think you have more of a chance with Amare playing? You can't be serious.

Second of all, that blatand bad calls in game 2 were the ONLY reason the Lakers didn't go down 0-2 and made it this series. If you try to dispute that call when Walton fouled Nash and stepped out of bounds I can't help you..

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We beat you when our only real weapon last year was outside shooting. Now, we have outside shooting AND an inside presence, and you think you'll do better against the Suns. I commend you for sticking with your team, but if you go big (say with Kwame), we'll still run you out of the gym because athletically, Amare is like a small forward.

You have summed it up perfectly. Yes, I completely believe that. You may have been one-dimensional last year but flawlessly so. It was a difficult guard because the ball was flying all over (except the post). You now play a more traditional offense, and though you do it very well it isn't as confusing or mindnumbing as the offense you ran last year. I'm more afraid of that type of team than your current one. You are the same in record and scoring, but different in execution. I prefer the current difference, as an opponent.

But you won't run anything us out of anywhere. You have to control the tempo to do that, and the gameplan will not allow it. Caveat here, this is in regards to playoff strategy only; Phil does whatever he wants in the regular season and will probably try to smallball the Suns in the reg season for playoff experience if/when it is needed if we meet post season.

We don't meet for months in the regular season, so its moot right now. And I don't expect us to beat you in the regular season either (we'll probably split). But if we meet in the playoffs, it will be a war.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ddogg

First of all you think you have more of a chance with Amare playing? You can't be serious.

Yes, and I've outlined why. You all underestimate how difficult it was to guard that Suns team last year which ran an offense that could be called "chicken with its head cut off" and ran it perfectly.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan