Do we really need another center?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Couldn't we just go in the season with something like that?

C Voskuhl (26) / Lampe (12) / Stoudemire (10)
F Stoudemire (28) / Cabarkapa (12) / Marion( 8)
F Marion (30) / Johnson (18)
G Johnson (18) / Richardson (30)
G Nash (30) / Barbosa (18)

Amare 38minutes
Marion 38minutes
JJ 36 minutes
Q 30 minutes
Nash 30 minutes

Out of rotation: Jacobsen, Vroman and Eisley

Some veteran minimum center or really cheap center like Scott Williams as insurance for a few games maybe...

If Lampe really devellops a lot in the offseason he would play more of course.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I doubt that Lampe is able to play 12 effective minutes at C, nor Cabarkapa 12 at PF.

And I don't want to see Marion at PF for eight minutes per game.

The Suns will play way too much small ball for my liking if they don't add another center.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Lampe has the size and bulk to play center. He should be a lot stronger next season. If he is Amare would get less minutes at the 5, Marion less at the 4, Barbosa less at the 1.

Maybe sign Big Jake for the minimum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Actually if the cap goes up we might have some capspace left.

Nash 8.8M$ if the 6yrs/66M$ are correct. Q 6.5M$

6.5, 7.15, 7.8, 8.45, 9.1, 9.75= 6yrs/47.5M$.

So it is probably about 6.7M$ starting for Q.

Bryan said we had 16.3M$ caproom. Q+Nash is 15.5M$.

According to hoopshype that puts us at 43.500.001$. If the cap is at 46M$ we might be able to get McDyess or Ostertag with 2.5M$.

The 2.5M$ would actually be enough to get close enough for a Chandler for JJ and Chicago pick swap.
If we only have 1M$ caproom left we would throw in Casey to make it work.

Last edited:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Yes we do need another Center OR two.

Size has more impact inside than outside skillz. I am excited about the news of Q, but we will still get beat like a drum inside if we dont do somthing about the center position.

I love how the Suns organization will ALLWAYS make a move to try and improve. But I am really baffeled why they feel a PG is SOOOO much more important that a center.

I think PG is important, but the 4 & 5 are the biggest impact.

loudandobnoxious

7 yrds olld
Reaction score
Marion couldn't play 2 minutes at PF let alone 8. The question should really be: Do we need another shooting guard?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the Suns going after Q and I think it's the proper strategy. If you can't get a quality center in free agency, then surround the centers we do have with superior talent without taking away from our core players.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Suns would like to obtain a quality center but from what I'm seeing is still available at the center position... give me talent over just having another big body.

I'm sure we can get another average big body to fill the middle for a reasonable price. I do not want the Suns to overpay for a slug.

Think of the speed and excitement the current Suns players will bring to the table, especially if they get Q.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
We won 44 games with Big Jake, Jake and Scott Williams in 02/03.

Voshkul 04 > Voshkul 03
Lampe 04 > Williams 03
XXX > Big Jake 03

I mean even if we just added just Big Jake now our center position should be in better shape than the last 2 seasons.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Couldn't we just go in the season with something like that?

C Voskuhl (26) / Lampe (12) / Stoudemire (10)
F Stoudemire (28) / Cabarkapa (12) / Marion( 8)
F Marion (30) / Johnson (18)
G Johnson (18) / Richardson (30)
G Nash (30) / Barbosa (18)

Amare 38minutes
Marion 38minutes
JJ 36 minutes
Q 30 minutes
Nash 30 minutes

Out of rotation: Jacobsen, Vroman and Eisley

Some veteran minimum center or really cheap center like Scott Williams as insurance for a few games maybe...

If Lampe really devellops a lot in the offseason he would play more of course.

If we go with this linup for the large part of next season, we'll be returning to small ball, And I hated FJ because of small ball. Small Ball just doesnt cut it. There is no one in the middle to prevent people from going to the hole plus those players listed above arent exactly great defenders.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
loudandobnoxious said:
Marion couldn't play 2 minutes at PF let alone 8. The question should really be: Do we need another shooting guard?

Marion's been logging regular minutes at the pf spot for the last two years, and he's been performing pretty well.

The problem is that it has the tendency to break him down physically over time. You obviously don't watch the Suns play much.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Obviously adding a wing player will help the Suns cut down on the minutes played by Marion and JJ. (I would expect them to move JJ to the SF position with Richardson in the linup). Marion and Johnson both averaged over 40 minutes a game while Jacobsen averaged 23. Memphis showed that balancing minutes can be a useful way to ensure defensive intensity for 48 minutes.

One off the wall comment, this may be just to keep Q away from the Nuggets.

loudandobnoxious

7 yrds olld
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Marion's been logging regular minutes at the pf spot for the last two years, and he's been performing pretty well.

The problem is that it has the tendency to break him down physically over time. You obviously don't watch the Suns play much.
I have seen the Suns run a smaller lineup from time to time, but never for an extended period. I never saw anything productive come out of those stints, either.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
To answer your question YES we need another center.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Yes we do.

I guess it's time to start scratching around to see who's willing to sign for the veteran minimum.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
elindholm said:
The Suns will play way too much small ball for my liking if they don't add another center.

We're a small ball team. Don't fight it, take advantage of it. I'd rather be a small ball, energetic, quick team.

We are a small ball team, we're not a big dominating team. We have to face he facts and accept that.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Yes we do.

I guess it's time to start scratching around to see who's willing to sign for the veteran minimum.
Lets bring back Kuterovic. Anyone with me? come on you know you want to :)

sunsfn

Reaction score
Yes, the suns need another center, and they may get one by signing Scott Williams to the veteran salary for a year. (1,000.000.)

The talk about saving minutes for JJ & Marion by signing Richardson, I thought was accomplished when they signed Nash.

JJ can play 2g and sf occasionaly, Marion and Zarko will play sf, Nash will play point, Barbosa will play point and 2g occasionally. They also have Eisley in a pinch to play point. CJ can play 2g or sf also.

Richardson is a baffling thing to me and I agree we will see something else happen.

BUT, WE NEED A STARTING CENTER TO GO FURTHER IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!

Blount signed with Boston so now we can do a trade with Boston and Ainge can get himself Marion if he wants. Although I think he wants Blount more right now.

:shrug:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Scott Williams hasn't been able to play for three years now. He is a nice guy, but he's done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05