Votes: 20 38.5%

• Total voters

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Phoenix gets:
Brevin Knight
Cezary Trybanski
Robert Archibald (I believe that was it)

Memphis gets :
Big Jake
Bo Outlaw

Last edited:
OP
OP
arthurracoon

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
I don't. I hate this trade currently.

Bo was a locker room guy who cracked jokes, etc.

Bo was our hustle guy.

HE MADE OUR FULL COURT PRESS WORK!!!

We NEED Big Jake for Shaq!

Anyway...who are the guys we traded for? Never heard of them...

Was this a cap move?

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We need a wait and see choice, I Dont know enough about the polish guy to make an acurate judgement.:confused:

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
It was a decent trade. Maybe the Suns are trying to get trade bait to aquire a decent center (Tsakalitis was just god awful). But I dont get the motive of the deal. We have Marbury as our PG and Knight could go to SG but then Thatd disrupt Penny and Joe Johnson. I dont know though. But Bo was great and I loved watching him play. He was one of my favorite palyers in the NBA. I wish him luck throughout his career.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would have rather traded Bo for Brevin Knight straight up (or add in Archibald to make the numbers work). I really don't see Trybanski being any kind of upgrade over Jake. I don't even think it's a lateral move, more like a couple steps backwards.

Maybe the Suns knew something about Jake like his foot and back injuries were going to be cronic and they wanted to dump him now? Well the only upside is that Voshkul may get more time this year.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like it. It has nothing to do woth improving the team, and it didnt do anything to degrade the team. Sure, Bo was a hustle guy, an energy guy. But he didnt decide games for us. Tsakilidis might be a legit center comeday, he might not. Im betting on not, and have been since last season, but lets face it, the Suns didnt use him anyway. He's dead weight.

It was a positioning move for when the Org. believes it will legitimately contend and nothing more.

It saves us BIG money. and loses us little talent. It also supplies a legit backup point guard, so Barbosa can adjust to the NBA game for a season. Knight wont be here next year, Im sure.

I like it as a business move, and feel it has no real bearing on wins and losses, so thats a wash.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I just don't think $3.6 million is big money to an NBA franchise, particularly one that is in fairly good overall financial shape.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Yeah but if the Suns are over the tax in both seasons it will save them almost 10M$.

And if the Suns aren't over the luxury tax next season because of this trade it will save them even more and could still allow them to go shopping for a FA without losing much money.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I guess that's me as the only guy to LOVE this trade. The only part I regret at all is losing the hustle play of Bo Outlaw. He helped us win at least 5 games last year by turning momentum around with his crazy scrambling. Jake is just not giving us anything at the center position the last couple years. Maybe a change of scenery will help him get more focussed! I like the direction our cap is going when guys like Googs and Penny come off it coupled with the cap relief we got from this trade. If Brevin Knight is the back up point guard we are looking for, then I wonder if ANOTHER trade involving a guard, or guards on this team may not be on the way?? A message has been sent to all our guards by picking up Knight, with the exception of Starburry. Could a Penny trade be eminent. As far as a cap move, that seems logical. As far as value, I don't know who in the NBA would pick up Penny's salary. Face it, if Stoudamire is a big hit this year, we need cap space just to resign him! :)

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
I just don't think $3.6 million is big money to an NBA franchise, particularly one that is in fairly good overall financial shape.

Arent they losing ten plus mil a year right now? Sure its only 3. whatever, but double that right? I mean without that expense, we dont pay luxury tax on it. Am I not getting it?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I mean without that expense, we dont pay luxury tax on it. Am I not getting it?

The Suns' savings this season will be minimal with the trade.

You would double the amount in 2004-05 only if (a) there is a luxury tax, and (b) the entire amount is over the threshold. Those two things might turn out to be true, but I don't think it's especially likely.

The Suns were close to the (estimated) luxury-tax line for 2004-05 before the trade, no one can guess that far in the future whether the tax will kick in, and there was plenty of opportunity to make other, small cost-cutting deals.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it because we dumped Big Jake. Schutd's take that this is a lateral business move but a forward-thinking basketball positioning move makes sense to me.

We'll see.

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Big Jakes contract was minimal....2.4 mil is nothing. This trade may or may not bite them bad. To be honest....I am getting tired of all the hype they give these players and then dump them after a year or two. BTW...did I see that Stephen Jackson was not given a deal by the Spurs. That was about a month ago and then went on vacation. That guy saved their hides during the playoff.

I think the Spurs will blur into soft dissipating soft clouds this year......

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Originally posted by minercon
Big Jakes contract was minimal....2.4 mil is nothing. This trade may or may not bite them bad. To be honest....I am getting tired of all the hype they give these players and then dump them after a year or two. BTW...did I see that Stephen Jackson was not given a deal by the Spurs. That was about a month ago and then went on vacation. That guy saved their hides during the playoff.

I think the Spurs will blur into soft dissipating soft clouds this year......

Big Jakes contract was 2.4mil but was up next year. So we would have to over pay him next year anyways plus if we took a big contract this year but it comes off the books next year(Knight) then we save more money. Plus there still maybe some more trades out there.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think its a strange trade, I don't like it too much. Now the Suns have too many players in the back court as of now, I think there will be another move made soon.