Dobbs to the Vikings

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My opinion...and it's what I said yesterday. No way you have Murray backing up a 5th round rookie making his NFL debut...and if Murray is healthy enough to be backup, he's healthy enough to start.
FWIW, I don't think it's about health, I think it's about knowledge and fitness. Murray has only repped this week's game plan (maybe). When the gameplan goes sideways, Petzing and Tune can fall back on reps and plays they'd run in training camp and over the past eight weeks.

Murray can't do that. The Browns (Petzing's last stop) just showed how you can leave a franchise QB on the sideline when he's healthy enough to be a backup.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
My opinion...and it's what I said yesterday. No way you have Murray backing up a 5th round rookie making his NFL debut...and if Murray is healthy enough to be backup, he's healthy enough to start.
An imo would be helpful :)

OmahaCardsFan

Veteran
Reaction score
So we get Dobbs for half the season as a bridge and basically trade down from a back of the 5th (eagles) to a mid or early 6th (Vikings). The 7th we got from the browns cancels out. And we beat the cowboys. Plus for the most of it all at least the games or half the games were watchable. Turns out it isn’t that bad imho.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So we get Dobbs for half the season as a bridge and basically trade down from a back of the 5th (eagles) to a mid or early 6th (Vikings). The 7th we got from the browns cancels out. And we beat the cowboys. Plus for the most of it all at least the games or half the games were watchable. Turns out it isn’t that bad imho.
I agree, I said in another thread, winning the Dallas game was reason enough to give up a 5th round pick. At least we got something back. I don't think Tune could have beat Dallas.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Is it possible that on top of watching the tape, Gannon also read the locker room, regarding Dobbs and decided that teammates were losing faith in him as well?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree, I said in another thread, winning the Dallas game was reason enough to give up a 5th round pick. At least we got something back. I don't think Tune could have beat Dallas.
Beating the Cowboys is the equivalence to 3 wins & we don't get penalized in the draft for the additional wins lol.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Is it possible that on top of watching the tape, Gannon also read the locker room, regarding Dobbs and decided that teammates were losing faith in him as well?
It's possible, but it seems very unlikely that the locker room has more faith in Clayton Tune.

We probably would have heard about it by now.

It's very possible that Kyler is back this week. We'll see tomorrow.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. We had already traded Dobbs when JG made the announcement that Dobbs wasn't starting. Trades are made 24 hours before they're actually announced.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's possible, but it seems very unlikely that the locker room has more faith in Clayton Tune.

We probably would have heard about it by now.

It's very possible that Kyler is back this week. We'll see tomorrow.
No. We had already traded Dobbs when JG made the announcement that Dobbs wasn't starting. Trades are made 24 hours before they're actually announced.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Generally, how does MIN's offensive line and offensive skill position compare to ours? Way better or a little better? It's a moot point, but it will still be interesting to see how well Dobbs plays with that group (if he actually plays).

Also, I think he's due a little appreciation from Cardinal fans. He came into a pretty tough situation and for a minute, had it going. He clearly gave it everything he had, and put his body on the line during a couple of those QB runs. He beat the reviled dallas cowboys.

In the all-time Cardinal QB rankings, I'd put him a step below Drew Stanton, Matt Leinart and Josh McCown, but a step above Sam Bradford, Josh Rosen, and Derek Anderson. Two steps above Max Hall, Ryan Lindley and Tom Tupa.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So all said and done.. we traded a 5th round pick for a 6th round pick.. am I wrong?

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think any coach loses a locker room for not starting a 3rd string QB over a 2nd string QB for one or two weeks until the almost ready-to-return big-money QB is there. Especially not in a coach's first year, where they are playing hard.

One could say we traded for a guy and then traded him away for less and that's a loss.

But we also got half a year of starts, aren't seen as an embarrassment to the league (we're scrappy), and Monti neutered most of the sunk cost from an asset that had little to no future use to us. We made up our minds we weren't going to re-sign him and got some value for him.

Kudos to Monti for moving on before he simply left for another team or found his way to NASA. I do thank him for coming in quick and doing halfway decent for a few games.

Also, this has to be a big reminder to players, Monti and Gannon aren't playing around... do your job or you can be the QB starting and be gone. Leki Fotu has to have some incriminating pictures.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO day 3 draft picks are a crap shoot. They are usually back ups and few really become starters. So I could care less about the compensation. Dobbs was an adequate starter who led us to beat the Cowboys which is a big deal. It is now Murray time either this week or the next. Wish Dobbs the best as he is a true professional. As a season ticket holder he at least was a lot more exciting than watching Josh Rosen.