Dolphins start negotiations with a potential #1 Pick.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
http://www.miamiherald.com/614/story/489210.html

They start negotiations with OT-Jake Long. Probably already a given that they would think about him as a #1 pick but will they have talks with anyone else? I think they start talks with at least one other player besides Long, who that will be is anyones guess right now.

How early did negotiations start with Bush and Williams when Houston had the #1 pick. Seems a lot earlier then usual.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.miamiherald.com/614/story/489210.html

They start negotiations with OT-Jake Long. Probably already a given that they would think about him as a #1 pick but will they have talks with anyone else? I think they start talks with at least one other player besides Long, who that will be is anyones guess right now.

How early did negotiations start with Bush and Williams when Houston had the #1 pick. Seems a lot earlier then usual.

I think they saw how long it took Russell to get signed and want to nip that in the bud.

OP
OP
joeshmo

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Also if they do negotiate with another player I dont think it will Matt Ryan. Ryan and Jake Long are both represented by Condon I think. Dolphins dont want that conflict of interest in their negotiations IMO.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also if they do negotiate with another player I dont think it will Matt Ryan. Ryan and Jake Long are both represented by Condon I think. Dolphins dont want that conflict of interest in their negotiations IMO.

I would agree with that. Glenn Dorsey? Chris Long?

Who else would they consider?

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
with no clear cut #1, if you were concerned about the price of the pick -- why wouldnt you go to Gholston and say "Here is a contract that is 5% better than last year's 4th player taken -- which if you dont go 1st, is probably as high as you will go"

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's also been reported that they will NOT draft Matt Ryan, so it looks like a Long it will be. I think it will be Jake, but they might start talking to Ryan too. Either way, it's no longshot to think 1 and 2 will both be Longs.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
I'd send a contract at the top 3 or 4 players i am looking at. No where near what Russel got last year and the first player to sign on the dotted line gets the first pick.

pogoowner

Reaction score
I really can't see them taking anyone other than Chris Long. If they pass on him, someone's getting a steal, because in my opinion he's easily the best player in the draft.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really can't see them taking anyone other than Chris Long. If they pass on him, someone's getting a steal, because in my opinion he's easily the best player in the draft.

Whoa. To my way of thinking, there has never been and never will be an "easily the best player in the draft" in any draft.

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Dolphins have no reason not to make their pick now. Maybe just wanted to test Long's market to see if they might want to trade down for obvious reasons.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
It's also been reported that they will NOT draft Matt Ryan, so it looks like a Long it will be. I think it will be Jake, but they might start talking to Ryan too. Either way, it's no longshot to think 1 and 2 will both be Longs.

I think that has been obvious for at long time. They drafted Beck early in the second round last year and signed MCCown this off-season.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think that has been obvious for at long time. They drafted Beck early in the second round last year and signed MCCown this off-season.

I imagine Parcells knows it is not a one year program to go from one win to the playoffs or even seven wins...therefore he will be addressing the most important part of the game AFTER a winning QB. My guess he will wind up with a Chris Simms while he builds both lines first. Parcells is well connected with the right people at the college level and although he will not go 7/7 look for them to have a good draft down the line.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryan Leaf is way better than that Manning kid!

Classic. I was one of those idiots who were certain Ryan Leaf was the far better prospect.

Remember the Mike Williams sloberers? David Terrell? Robert Gallery? And on and on, back through draft history.

Learned my lesson.

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Classic. I was one of those idiots who were certain Ryan Leaf was the far better prospect.

Remember the Mike Williams sloberers? David Terrell? Robert Gallery? And on and on, back through draft history.

Learned my lesson.
Yeah. My father in law is a hawkeye, he lives in Iowa City. He preached to me of Gallery, I was like the pics you might have seen in Sunday school. Little kids sitting around hearing the gospel.

(In my head) Gallery was the long haired monster that would save the o-line. Riding his Harley and makin some dough, well you know the rest of the story. psss. I wanted Ed Hartwell too.

Last edited:

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If he goes to Miami and Chris Long goes to St. Louis I think that the Cards will in for two unpleasant Sunday afternoons every year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he goes to Miami and Chris Long goes to St. Louis I think that the Cards will in for two unpleasant Sunday afternoons every year.

I think STL goes Dorsey to move Carrikker to the outside....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05