Draft: Mike Mayock update on Texas Pro Day

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Joe Paterno grumbles something, stares at UT through his thick glasses, and scoffs. :D

LOL Joe "The Mummy" Paterno is still grumbling about the 1969 National Championship.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
McCoy is the only QB in the draft that I had a good feeling about throughout and was hoping we would draft him when he was projected to go in the 3rd round.

Won't happen now he will be picked between #20-#40 now I assume.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
There's that team from Columbus, Ohio that holds the record for most players drafted from 1 school in a single draft. And that was only a 7 round draft. 14 players in the 2004 draft.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
There's that team from Columbus, Ohio that holds the record for most players drafted from 1 school in a single draft. And that was only a 7 round draft. 14 players in the 2004 draft.

Texas had 12 players drafted in 1984 but that was a twelve round draft. What makes it unique is that three of those Texas players were taken by the Cardinals.

Doug Dawson, Johnny Walker and Rick McIvor who was the only former UT QB to actually take a snap at QB in the NFL between Bobby Layne in 1962 and Chris Simms in 2004!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Texas had 12 players drafted in 1984 but that was a twelve round draft. What makes it unique is that three of those Texas players were taken by the Cardinals.

Doug Dawson, Johnny Walker and Rick McIvor who was the only former UT QB to actually take a snap at QB in the NFL between Bobby Layne in 1962 and Chris Simms in 2004!

Wow, even Penn State had QBs take snaps in that time frame. Feel shame, UT, to come in 2nd to Penn State QUARTERBACKS! :D

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My take about UT players is that the high-round picks tend to disappoint by only being solid players instead of superstars (I also think that the Big XII is really overrated as a conference), but thier mid- and late-round guys end up contributing more than you thought they would (like Mr. Sendlein).

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My take about UT players is that the high-round picks tend to disappoint by only being solid players instead of superstars (I also think that the Big XII is really overrated as a conference), but thier mid- and late-round guys end up contributing more than you thought they would (like Mr. Sendlein).

Exactly. That has been the case for a long time and something I had brought up on the board years ago.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wow, even Penn State had QBs take snaps in that time frame. Feel shame, UT, to come in 2nd to Penn State QUARTERBACKS! :D

Darryl Royal was even more conservative than Papa Joe. He never saw a forward pass he didn't like.

The typical Texas QB from 1960-1990 was a tough kid who could run ok and lob an occasional pass. Usually about 5'11" 185lbs and had a family with connections.

Basically the same guy every year. From Duke Carlisle all the way to Peter Gardere.

The two former UT QBs who had the most success in the pros were an outfielder and a punter/DB. Adam Dunn and Bill Bradley. :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
LOL Joe "The Mummy" Paterno is still grumbling about the 1969 National Championship.
:mulli:
So am I! There was no better team in the country than that years Nittany Lions squad! If was a farce for Nixon to designate Texas as "the champion". Now as a result we have the stinking BCS crap...