Drew Henson - the future franchise QB of the Cards

Minix

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Yankee's deal for Aaron Boone signaled the end of Drew Henson's future as the heir apparent 3rd baseman for the NY Yankees. He has been a bust in their farm system as a baseball player and his days are numbered. George has given up on him.

Look for Henson to be back in football by the start of the 2004 season. Houston made a shrewd move by drafting him with a late round pick in this past draft. With David Carr their future, it was nothing more than a bargaining trade chip pick.

What does Houston need? A stud left tackle to protect Carr now that Boselli has retired. Know a team that has a quality LT that could be moved and then replaced by a stud guard already on the roster?

A year or two of Jeff Blake as he finishes out his career and then transition over to Henson.

Man, this is so easy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Minix I don't know you but I love you (-:

I have been touting Henson and hoping he quits baseball for years now. The second I heard about them getting Boone I figured Drew is going to football.

The one thing with Drew is by many accounts he's a bit of a primadonna and he really SCREWED over Michigan the way he left. I think he's a great talent and I'd love to see him as a Card but I don't think he'd play here.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Henson=Hype

until he proves he can be an NFL caliber QB he's nothing but a product of "the grass is always greener."

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
Henson=Hype

until he proves he can be an NFL caliber QB he's nothing but a product of "the grass is always greener."

Sure. I mean I'm not saying lets trade Shelton to them for Henson he's gotta be signed first and then maybe you try to make a move for him.

Again I don't think Drew Henson will ever play for the Cards, he'll give the Texans a list of about 4 teams he'd be willing to grace with his presence, if they can work it out I think he'll be a great NFL player. But there is a distinct chance he'll pull an Elway if he gets traded to a team he doesn't want to play for.

ANd of course any deal is contingent on working him out there's no guarantee his arm is what it was 3 years ago.

OP
OP
M

Minix

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Henson=Hype

But doesn't that apply to all prospects? Henson has shown some skills as an elite QB at a major college program. A lot of people said he would have been the #1 overall, ahead of Carr last year.

And the grass should be greener with that sliding field thing at the new place. So it seems to make sense.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh boy! Now we can have endless Drew Henson vs. Eli Manning debates (before we go out and draft a hotshot corner).

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
Oh boy! Now we can have endless Drew Henson vs. Eli Manning debates (before we go out and draft a hotshot corner).

I agree. They’d be taking a gamble on Henson or Manning when they should be taking a Gamble from Columbus.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. They’d be taking a gamble on Henson or Manning when they should be taking a Gamble from Columbus.
Supremo! :thumbup:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Minix
But doesn't that apply to all prospects?

Possibly, but I think the "myth" of Henson has grown in a lot of fan's minds--maybe even in a lot of scout's minds. I don't remember him as being almighty...good, but not great.

Do I think he could be good or even great in the NFL? I'm not discounting the possibility, but right now I'd rather have McCown next year then Henson. :eek:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RLakin

We don't have to DRAFT Drew, that's the advantage, we can trade for him AND still have a first round pick.

I like Gamble too, great talent.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possibly, but I think the "myth" of Henson has grown in a lot of fan's minds--maybe even in a lot of scout's minds. I don't remember him as being almighty...good, but not great.

Do I think he could be good or even great in the NFL? I'm not discounting the possibility, but right now I'd rather have McCown next year then Henson. :eek:

Henson was rated ahead of Carr. In fact SOME NFL people said he'd have been picked ahead of Vick had he come out that year.

Whether or not the arm is still THAT good is open for debate he has been away from the game.

But realize this, he was on the same team as Griese and Brady and everyone at Michigan, including them, conceded that Henson was the best QB prospect on the team by far. That's one of the reasons Griese and Brady weren't high picks, they just didn't look all that great compared to Henson.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Henson=Hype

Pariah:

Naah. Henson=Chad Hutchinson.

WC

Northern Card

All Star
Reaction score
So, we sign our starting LT to contract taking him into the best years of his career; replace him with a player who had difficulty with speed rushers on the right side last year - and then trade Shelton for a guy whose never played a down in this league... Yup! sounds like a plan... :rolleyes:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Northern Card
So, we sign our starting LT to contract taking him into the best years of his career; replace him with a player who had difficulty with speed rushers on the right side last year - and then trade Sheton for a guy whose never played a down in this league... Yup! sounds like a plan... :rolleyes:

actually I don't want to trade Shelton, I said that in my first post.

I would consider it if we knew we were going to have issues resigning LJ, which might actually happen if he's still mad from 5 years ago.

OP
OP
M

Minix

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So, we sign our starting LT to contract taking him into the best years of his career; replace him with a player who had difficulty with speed rushers on the right side last year - and then trade Shelton for a guy whose never played a down in this league... Yup! sounds like a plan... :rolleyes:

Would you trade Shelton for Carson Palmer right now?

OP
OP
M

Minix

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Are you saying Henson would have gone no. 1?

Henson would have gone #1 ahead of Carr and #1 ahead of M. Vick had he come out in either of those years. That's according to the draft experts, for whatever that's worth.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Henson is going to be moved to the OF.Bucky Dent (Columbus' manger) has been wanting to make that move for awhile.Now with a 3B entrenched in NY Dent won't have to fight the scouting director anymore.That being said,i would love to see him a Cardinal QB.He's the 2nd best QB in college that i have seen in years.Leftwich was the best.

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
jeff blake has a great arm and will be the cards qb for about 5 more years.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Originally posted by Minix
The Yankee's deal for Aaron Boone signaled the end of Drew Henson's future as the heir apparent 3rd baseman for the NY Yankees. He has been a bust in their farm system as a baseball player and his days are numbered. George has given up on him.

Look for Henson to be back in football by the start of the 2004 season. Houston made a shrewd move by drafting him with a late round pick in this past draft. With David Carr their future, it was nothing more than a bargaining trade chip pick.

What does Houston need? A stud left tackle to protect Carr now that Boselli has retired. Know a team that has a quality LT that could be moved and then replaced by a stud guard already on the roster?

A year or two of Jeff Blake as he finishes out his career and then transition over to Henson.

Man, this is so easy.

Actually if the Cards want Henson they may just have to wait til next years draft. Remember if Henson chooses not to sign a contract with Houston before next years draft he either goes back into the draft pool or he becomes an unrestricted free agent(not sure which, but am sure that Housotn only retains his rights for this year with that pick)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Drew Henson - the future franchise QB of the Cards

Originally posted by JasonKGME
Actually if the Cards want Henson they may just have to wait til next years draft. Remember if Henson chooses not to sign a contract with Houston before next years draft he either goes back into the draft pool or he becomes an unrestricted free agent(not sure which, but am sure that Housotn only retains his rights for this year with that pick)

If he doesn't sign he goes back to the draft. If he's undrafted, then he's a UFA. if he's drafted same situation he's in now.

I posted a rumor awhile back that apparently his plan was to convince teams to NOT draft him this year, had that happened he'd be a UFA right now and choose his team. Supposedly his agent was trying to get certified by the NFL(casey close a baseball agent) and his college coach tipped off NFL teams because he was still mad at Drew for telling him he was going to stay at Michigan. Sounds bad but basically they stopped recruiting Qb's that year because of it and then had to play a they had planned to redshirt, Navarre, because Henson bolted to the Yankees.

Carr was openly mad so I'm inclined to believe the rumors could be true that he tipped off NFL teams just so that Henson would get drafted and mess up his plan to be a UFA this year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you saying Henson would have gone no. 1?

Unlikely. he would have to announce months ago he was playing football and go through a lot of workouts to get into round 1, let alone ahead of Palmer.

I think he was much better than Palmer in college but he's sat so long there's a distinct "bust" factor now.

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Drew Henson - the future franchise QB of the Cards

Originally posted by Russ Smith
If he doesn't sign he goes back to the draft. If he's undrafted, then he's a UFA. if he's drafted same situation he's in now.

I posted a rumor awhile back that apparently his plan was to convince teams to NOT draft him this year, had that happened he'd be a UFA right now and choose his team. Supposedly his agent was trying to get certified by the NFL(casey close a baseball agent) and his college coach tipped off NFL teams because he was still mad at Drew for telling him he was going to stay at Michigan. Sounds bad but basically they stopped recruiting Qb's that year because of it and then had to play a they had planned to redshirt, Navarre, because Henson bolted to the Yankees.

Carr was openly mad so I'm inclined to believe the rumors could be true that he tipped off NFL teams just so that Henson would get drafted and mess up his plan to be a UFA this year.

Carr is one of the most lying sacks of dung in the College ranks. He is the HC at scUM. Lloyd is one of the biggest liars on the recruiting trail and his lies to recruits to get them to sign with UM are legendary. It is very typical of something he would do to dispatch of someone he no longer has use for. Henson was always up front with Michigan about his professional baseball desires. The only one misled was delusional Lloyd Carr.