Dumbest thing an announcer has said this pre season

AZCARDSFANATIC

Veteran
Reaction score
I am astounded by how bad some of the TV bobbleheads are this pre season covering game. The screw up simple names, even of veterans. I was watching the Broncos vs. Buffalo and some idiot said that Orton and Lloyd are possibly the best QB/WR tandem in the league. I was stunned for about 10 seconds and then laughed for a minute. So what have you heard that made you giggle, cry or just have brain freeze trying to decipher it?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So what have you heard that made you giggle, cry or just have brain freeze trying to decipher it?

This was a long time ago and before I followed football that much, but I was watching a game once and some running back was having a good game and as the announcers were talking about him he broke a tackle and had a big play. One of the announcers excitedly said "he's no man of kryptonite". I'm guessing he was trying to call him superman but I was, and still am dumbfounded by that statement.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
actually (and this makes me think when our team stunk in the win/loss area but we had Boldin) Orton and Lloyd are ranked pretty high up there in this area. They were not winning games but these guys were putting up some insane numbers. Just saying that it is not that laughable.
Kyle Orton to Brandon Lloyd: 77 Rec, 1,448 Yards, 11 TDs

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I will add the worst blunder an announcer ever did and he did it time after time after time and game after game, though this has nothing to do with this preseason. Pat Summerall constantly calling the Cardinals ST.LOUIS long after they moved to Arizona. I hated that

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ugh i wish i could think of all the awful stuff they have said this preseason. The other day i know the guy on fox was calling the cardinals Arizona State. I also remember him talking about beanie saying his knee injury was two years ago not last year.

The thing that makes me the most angry is when they just assume things. They said before the GB game that patrick peterson is really coming on and same with schofield (this was before the game). They had absolutely no basis for saying that.

That article john clayton wrote about the cards had a bunch of wrong information in it as well.

Ive just come to learn that the only "experts" on the cardinals is us and maybe kent somers..

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Have to disagree. There is soooooooooo much stupid stuff said that it's impossible to just pick one thing.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
It wasn't in a game but Schlereth was reviewing Cam Newton's game the other day and going on and on about how he isn't too worried about him because when he has a clean pocket and plenty of time to throw, he looks good.

I realize these guys have to come up with SOMETHING to talk about but it's painfully clear that they are only entertaining themselves. These 5+ panels of experts and ex-players aren't even worth watching if you know just a tiny bit about football.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
The hands down winner is Joe Thiesman. While doing a promo for a college basketball game during a Monday night telecast he proclaimed:
" That UNLV team is so good, they shouldn't call them the Runnin' Rebels, they should call them the, the, ah..." then he studdered and stammered and panicked hilariously and came out with "The Faster-Than-Runnin' Rebels!" There was silence in the booth for what seemed like an eternity, which gave me and my roommates plenty of time to die of laughter.

This will never be topped in my book.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
OK this one is the worst!
The first Panthers game the announcer said that Cam will benefit behimd a veteran in Derek Anderson who is a solid QB and a very accurate passer!

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
A lot of times, regional announcers seem to not have ANY sense of where their particular teams or players fit into the national scheme.

One example, is when I was living in Denver...around '01 or '02 or so, the local sports radio guys were claiming that the Red Wings-Avalanche rivalry was the greatest in all sports. Red Wings-Avalanche. Greater than Yankees-Red Sox, Cowboys-Redskins, Ohio State-Michigan, et al.

Just crazy talk.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bad announcing is why I watch most FB games with the audio turned down (I don't need some idiot misintepreting what I just saw with my own eyes).

That said - I really like Gruden and look forward to how Parcells does in the booth.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The murdered names always crack me up during pre-season. But when it comes to over praising someone's athletic ability, nobody on the planet can touch Bill Walton.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The murdered names always crack me up during pre-season. But when it comes to over praising someone's athletic ability, nobody on the planet can touch Bill Walton.
When Frank Gifford used to forget a dude's first name, he always would refer to him as "Ron."

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah but that's quite a bit different. Walton used that exaggeration on purpose (humor, mostly). A lot of these announcers just simply don't know what they're talking about.

Steve

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The Green Bay announcers were introducing our startin lineup last game. When they got to the offensive line, they said that Levi Brown was a "great one." lol

And the Green Bay announcers are Kevin Harlan and Rich Gannon!!

Of course, he follows that up with 3 penalties. WTG! :sarcasm:

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Antron Rolle' is my favorite

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
During the Rams/Titans game the announcers kept calling Matt Hasselback "Tim" and they said that Marshall Faulk never got to play with Steven Jackson, Faulk was all, uhhh, yeah I did, for 2 seasons.

It wasn't this preseason but during the 09' Packer game, in the first half when we were kickin their ass, Aikman started rambling about how Kurt Warner isn't really that good, that he is purely a system QB and benefitted from the systems in AZ and Stl and that "things are a little different now with these guys who can really create bigger plays downfield."

A. That's total BS
B. Aikman showed that he is the biggest Cardinal hater in the world and will go as far as to suggest that Kurt Warner cant throw the ball down field...
C. Aikan is a toolbag.

Last edited:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I miss Mike Goldberg. Yeah, he was a UFC guy first, but I thought he always did admirable work for the 4 Cards preseason games each year.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
On the bright side even the dumbest thing said by an NFL announcer this preseason is not as dumb as anything Sutton/Grace say during EVERY Dbacks game. :)

"Kennedy paints the outside corner and that's strike 2 Mark Grace."
"Really Darren Sutton is it strike 2 already?"
"Yes Mark Grace it is strike 2 and thank you for asking."

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
The Green Bay announcers were introducing our startin lineup last game. When they got to the offensive line, they said that Levi Brown was a "great one." lol

And the Green Bay announcers are Kevin Harlan and Rich Gannon!!

Of course, he follows that up with 3 penalties. WTG! :sarcasm:

They also said that Garham Harrell was the best third string QB in the league.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nothing was worse than the college football announcer who started talking about Britney Spears in the last minutes of a crucial football game. I'd post it, but youtube is blocked at work.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Brian Billick's dyslexia, one game a couple of years ago every play (it seemed liked) he call the wrong side of the line. we'd have 5 yard gain and he'd say that's another 5 yard loss for the cards.....lol

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing was worse than the college football announcer who started talking about Britney Spears in the last minutes of a crucial football game. I'd post it, but youtube is blocked at work.

College football vs Britney Spears? What's so bad about that?:D

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
there is a lot of bad stuff out there .... some of the trends irritate me

people don't have injuries anymore ... they have knees, ankles, elbows, hamstrings, etc

also, can we please for the love of all that is good drop "in this league" from all NFL discussions ...... that grates on me to no end