Dumbest thing an announcer has said this pre season

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is a lot of bad stuff out there .... some of the trends irritate me

people don't have injuries anymore ... they have knees, ankles, elbows, hamstrings, etc

also, can we please for the love of all that is good drop "in this league" from all NFL discussions ...... that grates on me to no end

yeah, the 'this league' thing just kills me too. Doesn't sound like it's going to end any time soon though.

jerseyred

Rookie
Reaction score
Bad announcing is why I watch most FB games with the audio turned down (I don't need some idiot misintepreting what I just saw with my own eyes).

That said - I really like Gruden and look forward to how Parcells does in the booth.

You are 100% right and being a jersey guy like yourself ill bet you miss listning to marty glikman caol the cardinal giants games he was the best

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
people don't have injuries anymore ... they have knees, ankles, elbows, hamstrings, etc

Dave Wannstedt...when he was the HC for the Bears, used to always say things like "he'll be out for today's practice...he's got a head..."

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
My favorite was definitely when an announcer kept mis-pronouncing Aeneas Williams. He started out just calling him Williams, next it was A-knee-see-us, then A-nay-us, but never the correct pronunciation. Heck I am unsure he even called him the same name twice.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
Our local guy calling the Eagles-Browns game last night tried to unsuccessfully recover from a screw up after a Browns reciever dropped a ball on third down. Something like "And Haggarty can't make the stop.... of the ball going through his hands."

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't in a game but Schlereth was reviewing Cam Newton's game the other day and going on and on about how he isn't too worried about him because when he has a clean pocket and plenty of time to throw, he looks good.
Then they shouldn't worry about me, either. I look pretty good when I have no pressure & plenty of time, lol.

OK this one is the worst!
The first Panthers game the announcer said that Cam will benefit behimd a veteran in Derek Anderson who is a solid QB and a very accurate passer!
I don't believe you. :D

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
wasn't this preseason, but the worst announcer ever was Brian Billick last year. He didn't know ANY of our players....stumbled through the entire broadcast. The co host kept telling Brian the names after he botched everyones names.
Max Hall he called him something wrong 6 times.

That game took the cake as far as bad announcing.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
wasn't this preseason, but the worst announcer ever was Brian Billick last year. He didn't know ANY of our players....stumbled through the entire broadcast. The co host kept telling Brian the names after he botched everyones names.
Max Hall he called him something wrong 6 times.

That game took the cake as far as bad announcing.

Yeah, but I thought it was kinda endearing, ala Harry Caray. Billick knew his football, but not the names. I thought it might be a lack of prep, but then he called our QB Kurt Leinart, so then I thought he was just a rambling football savant.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Billick is horrible with names but of all the announcers, he does not take sides (guess it is hard when you do not know the names LOL) and say what you will...Billick knows football better than most of the people pretending they do when calling a game, I enjoy his broadcasting. The butchering of names for entertainment value and the football knowledge which is very insightful. I like Byron Bulluck a lot

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Billick is horrible with names but of all the announcers, he does not take sides (guess it is hard when you do not know the names LOL) and say what you will...Billick knows football better than most of the people pretending they do when calling a game, I enjoy his broadcasting. The butchering of names for entertainment value and the football knowledge which is very insightful. I like Byron Bulluck a lot

Me too, all the way down to butchering his name in return.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the score tied 3 -3, the SD announcer gave us this gem: "So a pair of field goals has been the difference here in the desert".

This same announcer, on several occasions has opted to first say something using the initials or the acronym and then proceeds to give us the unabbreviated version. You can get away with that once but if you feel the need to give us the long form every time, there's no reason to give us the short version first.

Steve

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I like it today when our announcing staff started to talk about wr who are not divas and called Andre Johnson of Houston Ray Johnson before talking about Fitzgerald...how can you not get Andre Johnson's name right?