Dwight Howard

BuddyFranklin

Registered
Reaction score
Forget Amare, this guy is the next big thing. He is AWESOME!

And he plays Defence and Rebounds.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to mention he is a great kid...just all around amazing dude with his game, his size and his values.

He was by far and away my favorite player in that draft and I hoped like nobody's business that the Lakers could have moved Shaq to Orlando so they could have drafted Dwight...

He's going to be a great, great one.

Nash

Reaction score
Damn Canadians! :mad:

crap! its only in the US that you spell it as defenSe, color etc. Rest of the world uses a C. i find myself correcting my typing all the time because defenCe is what I type automatically.

So the correction:
Damn the Rest of the World! :)

PS: anyway, why 'forget amare, dwight is better'? Its not like Dwight is coming to phx.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I like Dwight Howard, but Amare at 100% is better. Howard is perhaps a better defender and rebounder, though those are areas Amare was rapidly improving on pre injury, but Amares offensive game is so much more versatile. Howard is more of a traditional big man, Amare is an athletic freak. He can blow by any player on the court, or he can shoot a J. His offensive game is versatile and sick.

But yah, Amare, Bran and Howard are the bigs of the future. The future of the NBA is bright.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
I like Dwight Howard, but Amare at 100% is better. Howard is perhaps a better defender and rebounder, though those are areas Amare was rapidly improving on pre injury, but Amares offensive game is so much more versatile. Howard is more of a traditional big man, Amare is an athletic freak. He can blow by any player on the court, or he can shoot a J. His offensive game is versatile and sick.

But yah, Amare, Bran and Howard are the bigs of the future. The future of the NBA is bright.

I think Amare and Howard are the same player. When you watch tonights highlights of Howard it looks like the Amare of two years ago. Same type of explosive game offensively and amazing hops. The guy is a man child and is damn fun to watch. I'm just glad he is in the east and not going up against the Suns on a regular basis.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Amare of two years ago had a much better jumper than Howard. Amare is also quicker up and down the court, and much more muscular, Howard has more of a lean body.

Another guy I forgot to mention as one of the future big men of the league is Chris Bosh, he's a stud as well.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at Howard makes us remember what we had in Amare. No one is doubting Orlando for taking Howard over Okefor.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
Amare of two years ago had a much better jumper than Howard. Amare is also quicker up and down the court, and much more muscular, Howard has more of a lean body.

Another guy I forgot to mention as one of the future big men of the league is Chris Bosh, he's a stud as well.

I actually think Amare is leaner, and Howard is more muscular. Have you seen his arms and shoulders?

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I like Howard he is awsome to watch great shot blocker and pretty decent scorer but like one other poster i'm glad also hes in the east and not on the west.

Delmon Young

Rookie
Reaction score
Howard is reminiscent of a young Moses Malone. The great thing about him, though, is his work ethic. The kid wants to be the best, and won't stop until he is the best. Knowing some folks in the Orlando Magic organization, they said they've never seen someone as dedicated to basketball as Dwight Howard. He's only just begun to scratch the surface.

nowagimp

Reaction score
I actually think Amare is leaner, and Howard is more muscular. Have you seen his arms and shoulders?

This is true, and I really like Howard, but the pre-injury amare was the quickest PF to ever play in the NBA, with much better footwork and hands than Howard. When Howard burns Duncan and KG for 30+, like Amare did(as a rookie), I might start thinking of him as being in the same class as Amare(on offense). Both PJ and Big Ben couldnt guard the old amare on their best day, those guys are too slow, he'd posterize em for 30+ every night. I will concede that Howard is the better rebounder and defender, among the best. Now if the suns can get just 95% of Amare back, its gonna be fun to watch.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I love Dwight Howard. One of my favorite players. He's going to be what Amare was going to be except for a little worse on offense but a little better on defense(assuming Amare was going to improve on D when he hit his prime). I love watching him play. If only Amare didn't go down with that injury then those two would just battle it out for years. It would be awesome to see.

But I'm not giving up on Amare yet. He has looked pretty good. Better than expected at this point and eventually he may go back to his old ways.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Dwight Howard is totally overrated. You gotta be kidding me about him being what Amare should be, this guy isn't even as good as Amare offensively when Amare was a rookie. As of right now Howard is a healthy Marcus Camby but thats about it and not too bad, Camby is way more polished offensively as he can put the ball on the floor and shoot some and is a better shotblocker.

Emeka Okafor > Dwight Howard as of right now

Dwight is in his 3rd year now and averaging only 15ppg 13rpg 2bpg. Sure he is a great rebounder but that's about it.

Last edited:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Only 15/13/2....?

I dont know about him vs Amare, but those are great numbers...

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
How is Howard totally overrated when he hasn't made an all-star team yet? He's 21 and is going to be top 5 in blocks and rebounds this year, and is a legit athletic big man. How many of those are there in the league again? About five?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
How is Howard totally overrated when he hasn't made an all-star team yet? He's 21 and is going to be top 5 in blocks and rebounds this year, and is a legit athletic big man. How many of those are there in the league again? About five?

Doesn't matter about the allstar game, just his hype on the message boards and the media.

I can name at least 3 young athletic bigs that are better than Howard. Amare when healthy, Chris Bosh and Emeka Okafor.

2 blocks per game are also not going to get him in the top 5.

Okafor averages 18/12 and 3.5bpg in comparison. And those numbers are quickly rising because he had 2 bad games to start the season.

Howard has aboslutely no offensive skill, like Eddie Johnson wrote in one of his columns. Howard is too mechanical on offense. He is useless offensively when you throw a double team on him, if you don't he is still useless unless he get an easy shot close to the basket or garbage points off of offensive rebounds.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on what I saw during his rookie season, I thought Howard would be averaging 25 ppg by now.

Nash

Reaction score
I'm not getting into the debate of who among Emeka and Dwight will be better, but I can say for sure that the former is having a much better and a much more solid season.
He's on my fantasy team and check this line out from last night's game against NOK:

E.Okafor C 42:46 11-14 0-0 3-7 4 12 16 1 5 0 1 7 25

In short, thats 25 pts, 16 rbs, 7(!!) bs.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Doesn't matter about the allstar game, just his hype on the message boards and the media.

I can name at least 3 young athletic bigs that are better than Howard. Amare when healthy, Chris Bosh and Emeka Okafor.

2 blocks per game are also not going to get him in the top 5.

Okafor averages 18/12 and 3.5bpg in comparison. And those numbers are quickly rising because he had 2 bad games to start the season.

Howard has aboslutely no offensive skill, like Eddie Johnson wrote in one of his columns. Howard is too mechanical on offense. He is useless offensively when you throw a double team on him, if you don't he is still useless unless he get an easy shot close to the basket or garbage points off of offensive rebounds.

I think you overrate Okafor, he's just not that good. In 100 career games, he's averaged just 1.8 blocks, Marion numbers, 44% FG's which is much worse than most of the PF/C's in the NBA. The reason is that Okafor has very limited hops, he's an Oakley or Karl Malone without the outside shot. His FG's are low because he cant jump/shoot over guys in the post. Okafor shoots like 55% FT's, he really doesnt have much of a shooting touch.

With Howard, I agree that his offensive game is no where near Amares, even now(after memphis). Amare handles the ball really well for a big, can put it on the floor in the lane area, Howard is not nearly that skilled with ball handling. Amare is also a much better shooter than Howard. Howard is the best Defensive young big man in the NBA, but he needs alot of work on offense, and will probably never be on the same level as Amare offensively. Sure I'd like him to be a sun, are you kidding, but he's no Amare.

Nash

Reaction score
The reason is that Okafor has very limited hops, he's an Oakley or Karl Malone without the outside shot. His FG's are low because he cant jump/shoot over guys in the post. Okafor shoots like 55% FT's, he really doesnt have much of a shooting touch.

no kidding. Okafor is an earth bound creature -- he barely gets off the ground. Too bad there aren't any CHA games on TV, I really want to see how he's blocked so many shots this year. true he has a low blk shots avg over his career, but this year he's averaging 4 bpg.