Eagles | Interested in Bills' Henry? - merged thread

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Eagles | Interested in Bills' Henry?

Eagles | Interested in Bills' Henry? - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:56:50 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Philadelphia Eagles have shown interest in Buffalo Bills RB Travis Henry. The Bills have phoned the Eagles on more than one occasion, but Henry's interest in a new contract could kill a potential trade from coming about. While the Bills are looking for a second-round draft choice, they would probably take a third-round or even a fourth-rounder that could move up to a third-rounder based off of incentives.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
imaCafan said:
Eagles | Interested in Bills' Henry? - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:56:50 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Philadelphia Eagles have shown interest in Buffalo Bills RB Travis Henry. The Bills have phoned the Eagles on more than one occasion, but Henry's interest in a new contract could kill a potential trade from coming about. While the Bills are looking for a second-round draft choice, they would probably take a third-round or even a fourth-rounder that could move up to a third-rounder based off of incentives.

It says the Eagles are interested, yet it says its the Bills that have called the Eagles each time. Is this Glazer making the assumption that the Eagles are interested becuase the Bills called them, or becuase the Eagles said they are interested. Thats two different things.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
It says the Eagles are interested, yet it says its the Bills that have called the Eagles each time. Is this Glazer making the assumption that the Eagles are interested becuase the Bills called them, or becuase the Eagles said they are interested. Thats two different things.

Good point. Also, doesn't Henry want to be traded to someplace where he can start? I'm not sure he would get that opportunity with Westbrook in Philly. I guess Buffalo could accept any offer they want for him but is Philly ready to take on another unhappy player? They seem to have enough problems as it is.

We know he wants to come here.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Eagles eye RB Henry

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 2 hours ago

First the Eagles thought they had a deal with the Ravens regarding Corey Simon, until Simon's contract demands were too high. Now the Eagles have dabbled in the running back market.

The Bills have contacted the Eagles about a possible trade that would send RB Travis Henry to Philadelphia. (Rick Stewart / Getty Images)

FOXSports.com has learned that the Eagles have held talks with the Bills regarding a potential trade for RB Travis Henry. The Bills have phoned the Birds on more than one occasion and Philly appears to be interested. One of the obstacles for any team trying to trade for Henry, however, is his desire for a lucrative contract.

It's no secret the team wants to add a RB to go along with last year's stud Brian Westbrook, and Henry would be a great fit for any team looking for a solid workhorse and locker room guy. Buffalo asked for a second rounder but would probably take a third-rounder or even a fourth that would move up to a third if Henry met certain incentives.

In the end, Henry's contract terms will likely dictate if such a deal occurs or not. It certainly doesn't hurt to explore it either, does it?

If this is true, why are we being told that Shelton for Henry is not acceptable and that they want to exchange 2nd Rounders???? I say offer them our New England 3rd Round pick straight up and then trade Shelton to Miami for Surtain.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
masterphomeg said:
Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 2 hours ago

First the Eagles thought they had a deal with the Ravens regarding Corey Simon, until Simon's contract demands were too high. Now the Eagles have dabbled in the running back market.

The Bills have contacted the Eagles about a possible trade that would send RB Travis Henry to Philadelphia. (Rick Stewart / Getty Images)

FOXSports.com has learned that the Eagles have held talks with the Bills regarding a potential trade for RB Travis Henry. The Bills have phoned the Birds on more than one occasion and Philly appears to be interested. One of the obstacles for any team trying to trade for Henry, however, is his desire for a lucrative contract.

It's no secret the team wants to add a RB to go along with last year's stud Brian Westbrook, and Henry would be a great fit for any team looking for a solid workhorse and locker room guy. Buffalo asked for a second rounder but would probably take a third-rounder or even a fourth that would move up to a third if Henry met certain incentives.

In the end, Henry's contract terms will likely dictate if such a deal occurs or not. It certainly doesn't hurt to explore it either, does it?

If this is true, why are we being told that Shelton for Henry is not acceptable and that they want to exchange 2nd Rounders???? I say offer them our New England 3rd Round pick straight up and then trade Shelton to Miami for Surtain.

You're right.

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
So let me get this straight....here is what it says...

"FOXSports.com has learned that the Eagles have held talks with the Bills regarding a potential trade for RB Travis Henry. The Bills have phoned the Birds on more than one occasion and Philly appears to be interested. One of the obstacles for any team trying to trade for Henry, however, is his desire for a lucrative contract.

It's no secret the team wants to add a RB to go along with last year's stud Brian Westbrook, and Henry would be a great fit for any team looking for a solid workhorse and locker room guy. Buffalo asked for a second rounder but would probably take a third-rounder or even a fourth that would move up to a third if Henry met certain incentives."

Now....they would take a third rounder for henry....but with Arizona...they want a player and a swap of seconds....am I correct about this..?

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
Wow...I totally just made the EXACT same comments in the other thread about this before I saw this...haha, that was creepy

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
you guys wanna know why? it's b/c like a few of us have been saying from the start, obviously the league doesn't consider shelton the equivalent of a 2nd, or perhaps even a 3rd round pick. so the bills don't want just him. and denny has stated over and over again that he doesn't want to trade away any picks, so we won't offer the 3rd.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Mrh182 said:
So let me get this straight....here is what it says...

"FOXSports.com has learned that the Eagles have held talks with the Bills regarding a potential trade for RB Travis Henry. The Bills have phoned the Birds on more than one occasion and Philly appears to be interested. One of the obstacles for any team trying to trade for Henry, however, is his desire for a lucrative contract.

It's no secret the team wants to add a RB to go along with last year's stud Brian Westbrook, and Henry would be a great fit for any team looking for a solid workhorse and locker room guy. Buffalo asked for a second rounder but would probably take a third-rounder or even a fourth that would move up to a third if Henry met certain incentives."

Now....they would take a third rounder for henry....but with Arizona...they want a player and a swap of seconds....am I correct about this..?

which means they don't consider shelton the equivalent of a 2nd or even a 3rd round pick. and i, along with a select few around here, agree.

GreenCard

Reaction score
Phone rings-- It's the Bills again,who's turn to talk to them?TD is driving every team nuts.Everyone hates to answer the phone--Hey,Tom here,ready to trade Travis.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
honestly guys - think about this for a second. Edge and Alexander - arguably two of the 5 best running backs in the NFL are apparently slotted at a 2nd round value. Based on that - you think Shelton is worth the same - that he is in the class of Edge and Alexander in worth? Or even Surtain?

Give me a break - Shelton for Surtain is ludicrous from the Dolphins standpoint.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Depends on how much they want to get Surtain off their roster.

The best offer they have recieved is KC's 4th round pick. And considering that they have several holes along their O-line and it is a pretty weak draft class for T's. They could see Shelton as better value than a mid 4th round pick.

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
Yes...but aren't they more or less willing to take a 2nd rounder for Edge or Alexander because of the contract/bonus issue? I'm sure they aren't giving them up based on talent

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Redsz said:
Depends on how much they want to get Surtain off their roster.

The best offer they have recieved is KC's 4th round pick. And considering that they have several holes along their O-line and it is a pretty weak draft class for T's. They could see Shelton as better value than a mid 4th round pick.
The problem in this trade is not with Dolphins, but with us. They would do it, but are we willing to give Surtain a 5 year, $30M deal with a $12M bonus? I doubt it..

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm totally aware of that. It's one of the same reasons that Alexander and Edge haven't been dealt. The price tag is too steep! :thumbup:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think we are stuck with Shelton. So keep him and do this: trade down in the first round and get another third.

1. CB Justin Miller
2. RB JJ Arrington
3. CB Antonio Perkins
3. TE Kevin Everett
3. WR Roscoe Parrish
4. OG Chris Kemoutu
5. DT Albert Means
7. OG Scott Young

We elimate our holes at CB, TE, RB, OL, and speedy fourth receiver. Any other holes would be filled after June 1st cuts.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
We won't get Henry, and so he'll sit out half the season, do absolutely nothing for the Bills, and then bail next year and be a great RB somewhere else. The GM for the Bills has to know that by trading Henry, at least they get SOMETHING in return. After this whole fiasco, I can't see Henry suddenly showing up to camp or even the first few games for the Bills.

With LJ, I'm guessing he gets traded for something on draft day. If not, who cares, it's one extra O-lineman, which ain't bad.

I'll be shocked if the Henry trade occurs. If it does, I think we'll know due to the amount of time it takes us to make our first pick, as well as who we pick.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What this suggests to me is that there's probably a lot of other info about Henry, Shelton and other possible trade discussions with other teams that are happening behind the scenes.

If we ever find out at all, we'll know after a deal is done and certainly after the draft.

The way we're being jerked around info-wise, if it turned out we wound up with Edgerrin James instead of Henry, I wouldn't be shocked.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
honestly guys - think about this for a second. Edge and Alexander - arguably two of the 5 best running backs in the NFL are apparently slotted at a 2nd round value. Based on that - you think Shelton is worth the same - that he is in the class of Edge and Alexander in worth? Or even Surtain?

Give me a break - Shelton for Surtain is ludicrous from the Dolphins standpoint.

It's all about supply and demand...Quality RB's are more pleantiful, at this time, than quality LT's.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
This is from ESPN Insider, today...Now the Bucs are in on Henry.

Apr. 15 - In the market for a top-level running back, Buccaneers GM Bruce Allen told the St. Petersburg Times he has spoken to the Bills about the possibility of acquiring Travis Henry. If the two sides agree to a trade, it likely won't be until next week, speculates the newspaper.

The Cardinals have been the favorites to land Henry, but the long-rumored deal that would send Henry to Arizona for offensive tackle L.J. Shelton appears to be on hold. Buffalo would like to swap picks in the second round, taking the Cardinals' pick (No. 44) for the 55th selection, but Arizona coach Dennis Green prefers a straight-up player-for-player swap.

bills_phan

Run Willis Run
Reaction score
masterphomeg said:
It's all about supply and demand...Quality RB's are more pleantiful, at this time, than quality LT's.
Really? Who's available? Alexander and James will be playing for Seattle and Indy respectively this year. I suppose you could sign Anthony Thomas and call him elite...

It seems that demand has gone up recently (TB and PHI).

Denial is not just a river in Egypt! :D

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
bills_phan said:
Really? Who's available? Alexander and James will be playing for Seattle and Indy respectively this year. I suppose you could sign Anthony Thomas and call him elite...

It seems that demand has gone up recently (TB and PHI).

Denial is not just a river in Egypt! :D

Alexander and James are available in the trade market, as is Henry. A-train is available, but is obviously on the next level down from Henry (who is a level down from Alexander and James). That's off the tops of our heads.

Now tell me what LT are available? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Btw, rumor has it that Tom Donahoe has generated all the talk concerning Philly and Tampa Bay. But you know what? I'd be cool with Henry going to TB, because that would free up the chance that a young back falls to us. Good luck!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
which means they don't consider shelton the equivalent of a 2nd or even a 3rd round pick. and i, along with a select few around here, agree.

Probably true but remember, that they would take a 4th stuff is just the opinion of the guy who wrote that blurb he's not saying Donahoe said that.

but I do agree that clearly Buffalo doesn't think Shelton is = to a 2nd rounder or they'd make the trade straight up.

I also think the entire point of this story leaking is Buffalo is trying to make the Cards nervous so we sweeten the pot.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

The only problem there is that both Edge and Alexander want new contracts which is dramatically lowering their trade value, as does Surtain. LJ already has a new contract and we've not heard anything that suggests he's looking to upgrade.

No question those 3 players are better than LJ but their trade value is artificially low because of their contract demands.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan