Earl "The Pearl" Clark - Dleague Thread

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Not going to be a long stint I guess...

27/12/5 in his first game, could have been a lot more considering he only was #3 in FGA on his team, had 19 at the half, 25/10 after 3.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wow I didn't realize he was this good. He has the tools to become the next Alando Tucker.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was thinking the other day that given how well DJ Strawberry and Tucker had done in their D-League stints and how poorly they faired in the NBA, Clark will almost have to put up big numbers there just so it doesn't seem he's a complete bust.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I was thinking the other day that given how well DJ Strawberry and Tucker had done in their D-League stints and how poorly they faired in the NBA, Clark will almost have to put up big numbers there just so it doesn't seem he's a complete bust.
That doesn't mean that he doesn't have the potential to be a solid NBA player.

I hate double negatives but you know what I mean.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Has anybody gone to the DLeague and actually improved?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be hard for me to imagine Clark not making it in the NBA. I really like his game.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
It would be hard for me to imagine Clark not making it in the NBA. I really like his game.

What is there to like. He has shown me next to nothing.

And when I say nothing, I am talking about Taylor Griffin, who is absolutely worthless. He is a homeless man's Jared Dudley.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anybody gone to the DLeague and actually improved?

I'm sure there are players that have improved in the D-League but I think for Clark it's getting the playing time. I heard he was tired after playing 40 plus minutes in his first game.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

And when I say nothing, I am talking about Taylor Griffin, who is absolutely worthless. He is a homeless man's Jared Dudley.

I might be alone here but I actually think T Griff could be pretty good someday. He seems to be in the right position a lot of times a la Jared Dudley, like you say, but not to the same extent of course. However, like his brother, he is extremely athletic, something J Dud cannot lay claim to. If he got some burn he might turn into a player.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I'm sure there are players that have improved in the D-League but I think for Clark it's getting the playing time. I heard he was tired after playing 40 plus minutes in his first game.

Aaron Brooks etc..

Huge numbers are not necessarily a good sign, but bad numbers would have sealed the deal and marked him as a bust.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might be alone here but I actually think T Griff could be pretty good someday. He seems to be in the right position a lot of times a la Jared Dudley, like you say, but not to the same extent of course. However, like his brother, he is extremely athletic, something J Dud cannot lay claim to. If he got some burn he might turn into a player.

I'm not sure if Taylor Griffin will ever be any more than a role player but this is higher than I projected him. I too have discovered he is very athletic and it appears his confidence is growing on the court. I might yet have to excuse Kerr for making this pick. I thought at best Griffin was a practice player.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Taylor Griffin will ever be any more than a role player but this is higher than I projected him. I too have discovered he is very athletic and it appears his confidence is growing on the court. I might yet have to excuse Kerr for making this pick. I thought at best Griffin was a practice player.

I have said since the day he was drafted that I would love to see the Suns develop Griffin into our own homegrown Malik Rose. I think he'll be a decent rotational player for us sooner than later....

cly2tw

Reaction score
Clark seems to have improved quite some after the D-league stints. His drives today looked a lot smoother than they were before. But it's just Knicks though.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He's 6-9, athletic, and coordinated with soft hands. He's capable of being a very good offensive player. Defensively, meh, but with some effort he could rebound well enough to be a nice big off the bench.

I'm not saying he's Amare II, but I do like his potential much more than I thought I would. I like the fact he's not afraid to shoot and already has an OK mid-range jumper, his technique not withstanding.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's 6-9, athletic, and coordinated with soft hands. He's capable of being a very good offensive player. Defensively, meh, but with some effort he could rebound well enough to be a nice big off the bench.

I think his defense/rebounding already looks pretty good in limited minutes. He seems to have a lot of offensive skills, just seems confused on the offensive side.

JonnySuns

Reaction score
I appreciate that I don't post on here very often but that's mainly cos I'm from the UK and I barely ever get to watch a full Suns game. I'm limited to 2 min highlights on NBA.com so my insight into individual players will be lacking compared to you guys.........HOWEVER......I can remember in the not too distant past, being on here and seeing Robin Lopez getting utterly stoned by a lot of you guys as being a total cart horse of a player who was a waste of a draft pick and now look at him. Some are now starting up threads saying he's the key to our playoff run!!

Would it not be worth taking this into consideration before writing off a player like Earl Clark who really hasn't had much of a chance to do anything yet??

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I appreciate that I don't post on here very often but that's mainly cos I'm from the UK and I barely ever get to watch a full Suns game. I'm limited to 2 min highlights on NBA.com so my insight into individual players will be lacking compared to you guys.........HOWEVER......I can remember in the not too distant past, being on here and seeing Robin Lopez getting utterly stoned by a lot of you guys as being a total cart horse of a player who was a waste of a draft pick and now look at him. Some are now starting up threads saying he's the key to our playoff run!!

Would it not be worth taking this into consideration before writing off a player like Earl Clark who really hasn't had much of a chance to do anything yet??

I am in Hampshire as well right now, Southampton actually for 2 more months until I am done with my degree.

Internet streams aren't perfect but better than nothing.

JonnySuns

Reaction score
I am in Hampshire as well right now, Southampton actually for 2 more months until I am done with my degree.

Internet streams aren't perfect but better than nothing.

Oh cool, Southampton is a nice town, I'd quite like to live there one day if I can so hopefully you're enjoying yourself!

Gotta say though, I'd still rather be over in the states, that's my ultimate goal one day is the future.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Earl Clark needs to work on his outside shooting badly this offseason. He takes a lot of shots and bricks them badly. He was a better shooter than what he has shown in the NBA. His length, wingspan, speed, strength already make him a nice defender however. Lots of room for improvement. I think he could be better if he decided to drive more as his speed and height make him a really tough player to defend. Plus he has good passing ability in the event the defense collapses.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i'm not writing off earl clark. he's got the tools. just looks confused. though truth be told, i'm worried that he's got charles smith written all over him.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
he wants to succeed, i can see that.
so when he gets playing time, he tries too hard to go 1on1 a lot.
and forgets about the team game the suns play.
once he learns to play with the rest of team and share, being smarter about shot/play selection... he should be fine.
he's got a lot of attributes to make himself a good player.
he just has to figure out the mental aspect first.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05