Early Predictions: Top 10 Picks

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. Bucs: Leonard Williams, DT, USC.

The thought of pairing him with Gerald McCoy---for a defensive minded HC like Lovie Smith---would be a dream scenario. Williams is the best player in the draft.

The GM, Jason Licht, is concerned about Jameis Winston's red flags---and, like BA, concerned about Marcus Mariota's assimilation into a pro style offense.

Light has always liked Brian Hoyer---so the plan at QB would be to sign Hoyer (for short term), keep developing Mike Glennon and draft Bryce Petty in Round 2.

2. Eagles (from Titans for LB Mychal Kendricks, the #20 and #52 picks in this draft and the Eagles' 1st round pick in 2016): Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon.

Chip Kelly gets the quintessential QB for his offense.

3. Jaguars: Kevin White, WR, West Virginia.

Their offense needs a #1 WR with length and they believe White is this year's Julio Jones and the right compliment to possession types Marquis Lee and Cecil Shorts.

4. Raiders: Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama.

Perfect fit---both for need and BPA.

5. Redskins: Jameis Winston, QB, Florida St.

This solves Jay Gruden's dilemma at QB. RGIII will be put on the trading block. If Winston is still on the board at #3, they could trade up two spots and give up their 3rd rounder (#69) to the Jaguars.

6. Jets: Shane Ray, OLB, Missouri.

Todd Bowles nabs the best edge rusher in the draft.

7. Bears: Danny Shelton, DT, Louisville.

John Fox's rebuilding of the defense and switch to the 34 begins in the middle.

8. Falcons: Vic Beasley, OLB/DE, Clemson.

Dan Quinn loves edge speed and he gets the fastest edge rusher in the draft.

9. Giants: Dante Fowler, DE, Florida.

They can't resist Fowler's talent here.

10. Rams: Andrus Peat, T. Stanford.

Could be T.J. Clemmings or La'El Collins, but Peat's all-around skill wins them over.

Last edited:

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If that trade were to happen I could see it going down like this:

1. Bucs- Jameis Winston QB
2. Eagles - Marcus Mariota QB
3. Jags - Dante Fowler OLB (it sounds like they will have Blackmon back this year)
4. Raiders - Leonard Williams DT
5. Redskins - Vic Beasley OLB (cleared up all questions about size and strength)
6. Jets - Amari Cooper WR
7. Bears - Shane Ray DE/OLB
8. Falcons - Randy Gregory OLB
9. Giants - Danny Shelton DT
10. Rams - Kevin White WR

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Good call on the Eagles trade.

No way does TB pass on the QB either. Winston to TB.

Expect some success early, then watch out!

I think Gregory will make it in as well.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I know one guy for Jax who is very high on Kevin White. I heard about him about 1/2 way through the season on how good he was. They are not counting on Blackmon. Cannot be trusted and anything they get will be considered a bonus.

I think the top 10 goes:
1-Winston: TB isn't passing on him.
2- Leonard Williams: They'll go with Mettenberger and draft the better player.
3- Mariota: here's where I see a trade. Jax knows they need to accumulate players and this is a way to do it. Philly, Jets, Bears, Rams, et al, could all get in a bidding war to move into the 3 spot.
4- Cooper: Oakland is taking a WR and Cooper is still #1,
5- Fowler: he's the #1 pass rusher and is a position of need.
6- Gregory: has length that Bowles likes in his LB's
7- Shelton: perfect fit for the Bears
8- Shane Ray: the Cardinals move up and grab the pass rusher :).
9- Brandon Scherff: Coughling needs OL.
10- Kevin White: the Rams are just going to keep drafting WR from WVU until they get it right. Plus, this pick could Jax's and they would take White here in a heartbeat.

Reaction score
I know one guy for Jax who is very high on Kevin White. I heard about him about 1/2 way through the season on how good he was. They are not counting on Blackmon. Cannot be trusted and anything they get will be considered a bonus.

I think the top 10 goes:
3- Mariota: here's where I see a trade. Jax knows they need to accumulate players and this is a way to do it. Philly, Jets, Bears, Rams, et al, could all get in a bidding war to move into the 3 spot.
10- Kevin White: the Rams are just going to keep drafting WR from WVU until they get it right. Plus, this pick could Jax's and they would take White here in a heartbeat.

What are the Cards giving up in your scenario?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

I think the top 10 goes:

I'd rather move up to nab Fowler. Barring injury, he's a given as a bonafide superstar imo & probably the surest bet to be one in this draft.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Hell no.

I'd rather us just get Harold since I think he will definitely make it all the way to us.
Harold isn't the player Ray is. That's the reason he'll be there at 24 and Ray won't.

What do you think it will cost to move into the top 10? Two #1's is the starting point.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harold isn't the player Ray is. That's the reason he'll be there at 24 and Ray won't.

What do you think it will cost to move into the top 10? Two #1's is the starting point.

There will be a chance ray ( 1 year wonder ,just a pure pass rusher,doesnt have the size to be a De and no experience as Olb )will slide in the 15range then we could get him with additional second round pick

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

I think the top 10 goes:

Cards won't need to move up to get a good pass rusher. First round will be loaded w/ talent, even on the back end.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
You guys need to go back and watch some Missouri games if you think the likes of Harold are on the same level as Ray. Ray can beat you inside or outside, with speed or with power, and uses his hands very well.

Fowler is probably the only other pass rusher that can be put on the same level as Ray.

I know it's a highlight reel but watch Ray in this video. He's worth trading up into the top 10 for.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
More on Shane Ray:

from CBS Sports:
Extraordinary athlete who claims to have been clocked at 4.44 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He has a 40-plus-inch vertical, 10-foot broad jump and bench presses over 400 pounds. Launches himself off the line with an explosive first step to beat tackles and can fly by and around them, showing the flexibility and balance to scrape the corner and close. Complements speed rush with a quick jab-step back to the inside and a swim over the top to counter if blockers lean outside. Locates the ball quickly and changes direction fluidly to pursue. Exceptional reaction quickness. Decisively makes plays with an outstanding motor. Shows good effort in run pursuit. Good bloodlines. His father, Wendell Ray, played at Missouri and was a fifth-round pick of the Vikings in 1981.

For those that say he is a 1 year wonder(also from CBS)

Ray's production in 2013 (39 tackles, 9 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks) is staggering considering he backed up Michael Sam and Kony Ealy. His 2013 season was a significant jump from a redshirt freshman campaign in which he recorded 16 tackles, including 2.5 tackles for loss and no sacks.
The talented pass rusher led the SEC in TFL (20.5) and sacks (13.5), breaking Missouri's previous single season sack record of 11.5.

From Frank Cooney:

2015 DRAFT SCOUT PRE-COMBINE TOP 64 DRAFT PROSPECTS: 8/2. *Shane Ray, DE, Missouri, 6-3, 245, 4.54, 1...Ray has the ability to become a star at the Indianapolis combine workouts. Considered the most dangerous edge rusher in this draft, Ray has an explosive first step and a variety of moves -- including a devastating spin -- and then finishes with great closing speed. That helped him total 14.5 sacks and 22.5 tackles for a loss last season, only his first as a full time starter. His quick ascent reflects his willingness to study films. Although already an ideal DRE for a 4-3 defense, Ray has ample ability to become even more dangerous as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 alignment. Ray's on-field awareness, and overall athleticism are evident in his impressive ability to detect and destroy screen passes. His father, Wendell, was a fifth-round draftee by Minnesota (1981). - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange

From Walterfootball:
Ray recorded 14.5 sacks, 65 tackles, 22 tackles for a loss and three forced fumbles this year. He had multi-sack games against Toledo, Central Florida, Kentucky and South Carolina.

Ray has demonstrated a real burst off the snap with the agility to turn the corner. He needs to get stronger for the ground game, but he has speed-rushing skills and edge-rush athleticism. Against the run, Ray does well in pursuit, but he can have problems when teams run straight at him. Ray lacks length, but he has good pass-rushing moves and is extremely fast off the snap.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Trading up that far for a conversion edge player is stupid. It just is. Too much to give up and too much risk. You have the position conversion. The physical difference. Injury concerns. Suspension risk. Our roster is not that close to be able to risk all the picks required to move up.

I really liked Khalil Mack, and I'm not sure I would give that up for him. Shane Ray is not the prospect Mack was.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
It's never stupid to try and add elite talent to your roster, especially at a position that's in dire need of an upgrade. And, the Cards are definitely in their window to win within the nest 2-3 years.

There's always risk involved in moving up but I'd rather take a chance on the best pass rushing prospect in the draft than sit back and take the #6-7 rated OLB this year and similar player next.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's never stupid to try and add elite talent to your roster, especially at a position that's in dire need of an upgrade. And, the Cards are definitely in their window to win within the nest 2-3 years.

There's always risk involved in moving up but I'd rather take a chance on the best pass rushing prospect in the draft than sit back and take the #6-7 rated OLB this year and similar player next.

We have won 21 games in two years with our OLB situation...What we are in dire need of is the ability to protect our QB. That is what makes us a Super Bowl contender, not a projection edge rusher. Also, we will disagree, but if I am adding a sub 250lb OLB, Beasley ranks higher than Ray.

Just look at the history...Von Miller has missed multple games with drug issues. Aldon Smith has had numerous issues. Dion Jordan, bust. Brian Orakpo, multiple injuries. Jadeveon Clowney...injured. Quentin Coples... Courtney Upshaw...Barkevious MIngo. Jabaal Sheard. Nick Perry. B Werner. Dee Ford. Marcus Smith. Melvin Ingram. With the crap shoot that the draft is statistically, and the failure rate of drafting conversion OLBs, giving up multiple picks for one is a poor investment. Too many things can go wrong to justify passing on multiple top 32 players.

Last edited:

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Eagles snag Mariota, wow. That offense would fit right in for him. Plus, the relationship with Kelly!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the combine I think it's QBs at #1 and #2 overall. They may not go to the teams currently at #1 and #2 but someone will select them there.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
We have won 21 games in two years with our OLB situation...What we are in dire need of is the ability to protect our QB. That is what makes us a Super Bowl contender, not a projection edge rusher. Also, we will disagree, but if I am adding a sub 250lb OLB, Beasley ranks higher than Ray.

Just look at the history...Von Miller has missed multple games with drug issues. Aldon Smith has had numerous issues. Dion Jordan, bust. Brian Orakpo, multiple injuries. Jadeveon Clowney...injured. Quentin Coples... Courtney Upshaw...Barkevious MIngo. Jabaal Sheard. Nick Perry. B Werner. Dee Ford. Marcus Smith. Melvin Ingram. With the crap shoot that the draft is statistically, and the failure rate of drafting conversion OLBs, giving up multiple picks for one is a poor investment. Too many things can go wrong to justify passing on multiple top 32 players.
You could use any position and list the busts. Using this theory, you don't think a team should ever trade up and take a shot on a player.

Charles Rogers, David Terrell, and Mike Williams being busts didn't stop Atlanta from making the bold trade up to get Julio Jones.

OLB is the only real glaring need that the Cards can address in the draft because pass rushers never hit the market. Their other main need, interior OL, can be addressed via free agency.

And, you are correct, I don't think Beasley is the player Ray is. He had a nice combine but he may also go back to 225 when they start playing for real. Ray is a natural 245-250 pounder.

I just think getting a high level talent is worth the risk rather than having 2 mediocre talents. Plus, the farther down you go in the draft, the greater the bust/non-factor potential sets is.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And, you are correct, I don't think Beasley is the player Ray is. He had a nice combine but he may also go back to 225 when they start playing for real. Ray is a natural 245-250 pounder.

Beasley is a freak and his size isn't an issue.

You must be registered for see images

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You could use any position and list the busts. Using this theory, you don't think a team should ever trade up and take a shot on a player.

Charles Rogers, David Terrell, and Mike Williams being busts didn't stop Atlanta from making the bold trade up to get Julio Jones.

OLB is the only real glaring need that the Cards can address in the draft because pass rushers never hit the market. Their other main need, interior OL, can be addressed via free agency.

I just think getting a high level talent is worth the risk rather than having 2 mediocre talents. Plus, the farther down you go in the draft, the greater the bust/non-factor potential sets is.

Charles Rogers?

David Terrell?

Seriously. I was at least trying to stay within the past 6 or 7 years.

and as far as what that impact trade did for the Falcons...I'm pretty sure they are drafting in the top 10 for a second year in a row. It isn't about having multiple mediocre players, it is about having multiple cost-controlled starters. One player, outside of QB, just doesn't make that level of difference in the NFL.

You say that the farther down the drfat you go, the higher the risk, but my point is that is not true for edge rushers. Many times, the higher the guy, the higher the miss. Dion Jordan is a prime example. Freak athlete, and three down player. Huge bust. Tamba Hali and Justin Houston were later picks. Connor Barwin...later pick.

If we look at conversion LBs in the league, the list is awful compared to how many have been drafted. There is a reason Calvin Pace has stayed employed. If you seriously go back and look at the fail rate of 3-4 OLBs drafted in the past 5 years, it is huge.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Charles Rogers?

David Terrell?

Seriously. I was at least trying to stay within the past 6 or 7 years.

and as far as what that impact trade did for the Falcons...I'm pretty sure they are drafting in the top 10 for a second year in a row. It isn't about having multiple mediocre players, it is about having multiple cost-controlled starters. One player, outside of QB, just doesn't make that level of difference in the NFL.

You say that the farther down the drfat you go, the higher the risk, but my point is that is not true for edge rushers. Many times, the higher the guy, the higher the miss. Dion Jordan is a prime example. Freak athlete, and three down player. Huge bust. Tamba Hali and Justin Houston were later picks. Connor Barwin...later pick.

If we look at conversion LBs in the league, the list is awful compared to how many have been drafted. There is a reason Calvin Pace has stayed employed. If you seriously go back and look at the fail rate of 3-4 OLBs drafted in the past 5 years, it is huge.
8 of the top 15 sack leaders last year were top 15 picks. That's a pretty high percentage.

Tamba Hali was the 20th overall pick. For every Connor Barwin there 2-3 DeMarcus Ware's. And, let's face it, Justin Houston dropped because of drug issues, not talent issues.

Elvis Dumerville and, to a lesser extent, Connor Barwin are nice success stories but are much more the exception than the rule. Barwin has been very sporadic in his sack production. Only 2 of his 6 years has he had more than 5 sacks.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Beasley is a freak and his size isn't an issue.

You must be registered for see images
I'm leery of a guy who played his entire career at 210-220 pounds showing up at 246. Why didn't he play at that weight all last year? Sure he can carry that weight for a combine workout but can his frame carry it long term without breaking down? It's not like he played at 235 and put on 10 pounds like Von Miller did. He put on about 30 pounds in a couple months. I'm sorry that's gives me some pause for concern.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm leery of a guy who played his entire career at 210-220 pounds showing up at 246. Why didn't he play at that weight all last year? Sure he can carry that weight for a combine workout but can his frame carry it long term without breaking down? It's not like he played at 235 and put on 10 pounds like Von Miller did. He put on about 30 pounds in a couple months. I'm sorry that's gives me some pause for concern.

Source?
He was about 235 during his senior season

Last edited: