Early thoughts on offense

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
I know it is early but here is what I see early. I have no confidence in Chad Tracy or Connor Jackson in clutch or must have situations. While Steven Drew is also slumping, he has consistently hit the ball on the nose but it has just gone right at people. I see Cojack popping up or weakly grounding out. How can a guy that big have no pop in his bat? Also Chad Tracey either is constantly guessing at pitches or he is just unable as a supposed good fastball hitter to drive an outside corner fastball to left. We will not be successful without significantly more production on the corners of the infield. Callaspo needs to be in the lineup and I'd consider a occassional sit of Tracy. Also, we need Tony Clark alternating more with Cojack. Cojack needs to understand it is production that keeps you in the lineup and not potential. I am also concerned about Chris Young's lack of hitting. We need full rotation in the outfield with Hairston, Young and Byrnes alternating depending on who is productive. Quentin stays because his bat is alive.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
As you said, it's early. You can't bench all the above names before May 1st. All our young guys are struggling, including Stephen Drew, Connor Jackson, Chris Young, and Miguel Montero. Their playing for a reason and they need more than a month to prove themselves.

My thoughts on the offense-

I don't like Stephen Drew leading off AT ALL. He will be much more productive in the 2 hole. I think Callaspo deserves more PT and should be leading off. He makes contact nearly every time and will find his way on base. If that means Tracy being replaced at 3B then so be it. Quentin is tearing and seems deserving of the cleanup spot (even if Tracy is playing)

Connor Jackson hit the ball much better last night and I hope it continues. He has had a miserable start but no way in hell is Tony Clark the solution.

Chris Young simply needs more time. He missed 4 games with a groin pull, let him get comfortable.

Our base running sucks, period. It seems like we cost ourselves runs nearly every game because of stupid baserunning errors. No excuse for that

My desired regular lineup would be:

1) Callaspo, 3B
2) Drew, SS
3) Hudson, 2B
4) Quentin, RF
5) Byrnes, LF
6) Jackson, 1B
7) Young, CF
8)Snyder/Montero
9) Pitcher

The only change I'd consider making is switching Drew and Byrnes somehow. Byrnes has been very productive early in the lineup and moving him to 5 probably isn't the best idea. Obviously this would never happen cause Tracy would never be benched

OP
OP
AzKarl

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
I like your lineup

I like Callaspo at third and Tracey to the bench with a platoon deal where he only bats against right handers. Callaspo is versatile and should be moved around based on pitching match ups. I feel Young has trouble with off speed stuff but it is too soon to tell. I did not suggest that Clark be permanently installed at first, just don't be afraid to use the hot bat.

PHXSportsFan4

Time for baseball season.
Reaction score
Callaspo deserves more PT. The guy is just amazing. I heard where he swung and missed at only like 3 pitches in the entire spring training season. That's just amazing. He rarely strikes out, and would be a great 2 or 3 hitter and hit and run like crazy with him up. Drew is obviously slumping, he will heat up soon just give it some time. I'm not too impressed with CoJack or Tracy so far, but again, it's still early, give it some time you never know what could happen. I'd like to see Montero get more starts at C over Snyder. I think he is more of an every day catcher than Snyder is. I am very impressed by Quentin in the short time that he has played so far this year. It seems like everything he hits is a bullet and I definitly can see him being a 40+ HR guy very soon as long as he stays healthy.

Overall, I think the team has a lot of room to improve but at the same time, keep in mind this is a very young and pretty inexperienced team. It's still early, and a lot can change in just a few months. I honestly believe this is a World Series contending team within 2 years, hopefully.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Wow! Some sensible baseball fans on here! I couldn't agree more. I love that lineup Devilfan. Callaspo needs to play third for awhile. Karl was right, Drew is hitting the ball right on the screws but unfortunately right at people. I hope it doesn't get in his head and makes him feel like he needs to change his approach. Sit Tracy and move Quentin to 4th.

The baserunning is killing me and I am running out of things to call Melvin. Not stealing when we should, stealing when we shouldn't (the hit and run last night with Byrnes and Callaspo was beyond stupid). Stupid, stupid, stupid.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I like the lineup too Devilfan! Though, I'd rather them keep playing Tracy and hopefully let him work out of a funk and 'display' him, so that they can perhaps trade him. He's not getting any better, perhaps at the break someone will want him and the Dbacks can pick up some more youth or at least pitching.

diamondbacker

Reaction score
As long as Tracy plays against righties, I like the lineup. I want Callaspo to get in more games, just not at the expense of Young, Quentin, etc, and Tracy has well doumented lefty problems.

JuevAZD

Reaction score
If we are going off performance thus far why not sit Jackson, move Tracy to first and play Callapso at third. Tracy and Jackson have virtually the same BA, Jackson's OBP is .04 higher, but Tracy has a .08 higher OPS while driving in 6 more runs and scoring 6 more runs.

Err...that was a lot of numbers. Put another way, Tracy has been more productive so far. And he can play first.

Like someone else said, I'd like to see Byrnes hitting earlier in the lineup as he has been productive there before. Against lefties Tracy can go back to third (or not) and Jackson can platoon at first.

Callaspo 3B
Byrnes LF
Hudson 2B
Quentin RF
Tracy 1B
Drew SS
Young CF
Montero C

Phxchris1989

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to agree with people that say we need to get a power bat in the lineup, I don't who to market though.

diamondbacker

Reaction score
First off, we don't NEED a power bat. Second, my lineup is:

LHP

Callaspo
Young
Hudson
Jackson
Quentin
Byrnes
Drew
Snyder

RHP:

Young
Drew
Hudson
Jackson
Quentin
Tracy
Byrnes
Snyder

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
Wow! Some sensible baseball fans on here!
Yeah, next time you hear someone rip on Phoenix for having unknowledgable fans, you can just laugh at them for being ignorant. Hopefully one day PHX fans will get a better rep.

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
First off, we don't NEED a power bat.
I agree. I don't think some people understand that we have one in Quentin (as long as he stays healthy). Just seeing him in his few AB's this year, he can absolutely tatoo the ball. He hit a moon shot last night, but it was foul.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, next time you hear someone rip on Phoenix for having unknowledgable fans, you can just laugh at them for being ignorant. Hopefully one day PHX fans will get a better rep.

Those people are correct. Most Dback fans in this city have no knowledge of the game whatsoever. Just go to a game and you'll quickly find out. Or ask one of the million fans who wanted to pick up Gonzos 11 million dollar option and stint the growth of some of the best prospects in baseball

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
Those people are correct. Most Dback fans in this city have no knowledge of the game whatsoever. Just go to a game and you'll quickly find out. Or ask one of the million fans who wanted to pick up Gonzos 11 million dollar option and stint the growth of some of the best prospects in baseball
lol wow... I guess maybe I am wrong. Oh well... Still, maybe someday the fans will educate themselves on the game and turn Phoenix into a good baseball town. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I really want to see Phoenix turn into a good baseball city sometime down the road.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
lol wow... I guess maybe I am wrong. Oh well... Still, maybe someday the fans will educate themselves on the game and turn Phoenix into a good baseball town. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I really want to see Phoenix turn into a good baseball city sometime down the road.

We all do. Over time it should get better, especially if we have some success. I didn't realize how bad it was until I went to games at Camden, Wrigley, and Anahiem Stadium. Those fans are awesome and truly know the game. I think fans in PHX go to games just to say they went

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05