East Valley Tribune: Suns might be active in free agent market

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
Generally, most teams have had at least two second tier big men and usually a top tier guy.

Well basically, you've now reduced your original statement of

"Historically, the key to getting into the finals has been to have a strong overall team and a great big man."

to something like

"Generally, teams need to have at least one very good player at PF or C in order to be successful."

I agree with the second statement, but not with the first. There is quite a world of difference between them.

Somehow you've managed to not grasp the meaning of the term "generally". Is it possible to win the championship without at least one premier big man? Yes. Given the extreme odds against winning the championship at all, are you more likely to win with a premier big man than with with just premier outside guys? I think the answer is "yes" even if it has been done.

The second statement is about "success" rather than winning the championship. It is true, although the definition of "success" varies.

So what difference does it make? For the Suns, it suggests that the importance of the team's center decreases slightly if Amare turns out to be a premier player in the Garnett/Duncan class. But if he proves to be just "very good" rather than great, then getting a "very good" center becomes a serious priority.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Somehow you've managed to not grasp the meaning of the term "generally".

What meaning do you think I've assigned to it? You're the one who used the word. Maybe you should tell me what you intended it to mean.

The second statement is about "success" rather than winning the championship. It is true, although the definition of "success" varies.

Sorry, I was using "success" as a substitute for "getting to the Finals," which was your original barometer. But that wasn't clear.

So what difference does it make? For the Suns...

I wasn't talking about the Suns. I was disagreeing with your original statement. Whatever implications you want to draw from that are up to you, but they are outside the scope of the discussion.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So what difference does it make? For the Suns...

I wasn't talking about the Suns. I was disagreeing with your original statement. Whatever implications you want to draw from that are up to you, but they are outside the scope of the discussion.

Actually this "debate" is part of the reasons why people start ignoring you. I make a statement. You tell me I'm wrong, but provide no contractory evidence and would rather get into word games. Then you tell me that the whole point of the debate is outside the scope of the discussion without asking why the point was made to begin with.

After a while people just get tired of your "argument clinic style" of writing. "Is so". "Is not", "Is so". "Is not". You treat your opinions as "facts" and then wonder why people stop caring what you say.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Actually this "debate" is part of the reasons why people start ignoring you.

LOL, that may be, but my points are valid anyway. If people ignore me because it takes too much effort to think about what I'm saying, so be it. Sound bytes are misleading and I will not be reduced to them.

And also, just for the record, most of this board's regulars don't ignore me.

I make a statement. You tell me I'm wrong, but provide no contractory evidence

That is completely untrue and you know it. The counterexamples are well documented: The Celtics with Bird, the Pistons with Thomas, the Bulls with Jordan.

You say that those don't count, because Bird had very good front-court players alongside him, which is true; that the Pistons had a unique (at the time) team defensive style, which is true; and that Jordan was, well, special, which is true.

But they are still counterexamples! When you make a sweeping statement like,

"Historically, the key to getting into the finals has been to have a strong overall team and a great big man,"

you don't leave any wiggle room. What you meant to say, I think, was,

"Generally, it is important to have at least one very good big man, unless your team is exceptional in some other way."

In that case we would have had no problem.

and would rather get into word games.

Do you really think they're word games? If so, there is no point in further discussion, because you don't understand the basic tenets of constructing an argument.

You say, "I believe such-and-such because of this reason." If you're depending on the reason to support your case, you'd better be darn sure what the reason is actually saying! Otherwise, it could support anyone's argument, or be used against your own. Precise language is critical if you're serious about supporting your point.

Then you tell me that the whole point of the debate is outside the scope of the discussion without asking why the point was made to begin with.

Oh please, like it's not obvious why the point was made to begin with.

You treat your opinions as "facts" and then wonder why people stop caring what you say.

No, I treat historical evidence as "fact," which it is.

Okay, sport, you want me to spell it out for you once more, I will.

The Suns right now have several deficiencies, but let's focus on two:

1. Weakness at center.
2. Absence of any one superstar, elite player, r00ler, or whatever.

In an ideal world, they would address both of those weaknesses in one fell swoop by getting the next dominant center in the league on their team, whoever that happens to be. (And no, it won't be Maciej Freaking Lampe.)

But this is not an ideal world, so the Suns have, at best, two choices:

1. Upgrade the center position so that it is above average, but forgo the superstar.
2. Acquire a superstar, but forgo a significant upgrade to the center position.

Your position is that (1) is preferable to (2). That's fine. But your stated reason for preferring (1) is that (2) is hopeless.

And (2) is not hopeless. Teams have won by following path (2) before. It happens rarely, for sure, but it can happen.

In fact, the evidence suggests it is (1) that is hopeless. In the last 25 years, no team has won the title without an ultra-elite player on its roster -- with the arguable exception of the Pistons, who are already exceptional for the reasons you gave. Teams have won without a dominant center, and even though those cases may seem unique, they are better than nothing.

So when you say that winning a championship by path (2) is impossible, that's going to draw a reaction. It isn't impossible. It has been done. It may be very unlikely, but it is possible.

Where is your evidence that path (1) -- getting a "good" center, with no superstar to lead the way -- is possible? You have none. Instead, you just say, "Championship teams need a dominant center," and you leave it at that.

Now frankly, I doubt you've read to this point, since I seem to overwhelm your attention span. But if you have, ask yourself who's the one playing games, and who is really addressing the question.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You make your point using the 1980's Celtics. The Celtics had McHale who was one of the most dominant big men of his era and Parish who was vastly underrated. You present this as EVIDENCE? .:confused:

Second, you have misstated my position. I want to clear as much cap space as possible for top tier or near top tier center. If none are immediately available, then only short term contracts are appropriate so that the Suns can make a run at someone when available. I think the Suns can make noise in the playoffs with Amare and a second tier center. I do not think that Amare and a fourth tier center like Voskuhl or White can EVER get out of the first round. Also, I am not convinced that anyone with serious talent at center is ever going to be available for mid cap.

We can argue about how good is "good enough" when it comes to center. A third tier guy like Longley can be enough on a team that has the right complementary players (Longley was a poopy rebounder but Rodman made up for it). But it is trickly.

Third, I think the Suns need a "go to" guy on the outside and having a super star like Kobe or Pierce would be fantastic. But I do not think it gets the team any closer to being a championship team with fourth tier centers. Seattle has Allen and Lewis and are not going to make the playoffs.

In another thread (I think) I said I supported doing a deal with Boston that sent Marion, Jacobsen and picks for Pierce this summer. It would have to be a case where the Suns would pick the guys Boston wanted and then the deal would happen after Marion comes off BYC. But it only makes sense if the Suns do not kill their cap ability to go after a second tier center Accepting a bad contract of third tier guy like La Frentz does not qualify.

BTW, if Lampe does become a second tier center, it would make it easier to go after an elite shooter. But at this point it is premature to assume he will be more than a nice (third tier) player.

In summary, I am not convinced that signing Kobe gets the Suns out of the first round even if he learns to be a team player -- unless Lampe develops into a very good (second tier) player. At the same time, signing a third tier center wouldn't either, This is why only short term contracts (one or two years) would be appropriate (ie No Dampier or Camby).

I cannot be sure that getting a second tier center like Brad Miller would be enough. But I am quite sure that having only backups and scrubs at center will not get it done.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by George O'Brien

Second, you have misstated my position. I want to clear as much cap space as possible for top tier or near top tier center. If none are immediately available, then only short term contracts are appropriate so that the Suns can make a run at someone when available. I think the Suns can make noise in the playoffs with Amare and a second tier center. I do not think that Amare and a fourth tier center like Voskuhl or White can EVER get out of the first round. Also, I am not convinced that anyone with serious talent at center is ever going to be available for mid cap.

A top tier or near top tier center not named Yao Ming or Shaq O'Neal doesn't exist. You keep pushing for this, but top tier centers DON'T exist! And if you consider Brad Miller or some others as "near" top tier, are they even available? No. So why continue on this line of arguement?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Celtics had McHale who was one of the most dominant big men of his era and Parish who was vastly underrated.

Those are subjective assessments with which I do not agree. Surely you would concede that it was Larry Bird's team?

Second, you have misstated my position. I want to clear as much cap space as possible for top tier or near top tier center.

Ah. You are correct, I have misstated it. I don't think you've ever put it that clearly before -- either that, or you've hid behind the vagueness of what consistitutes a "near top tier center" without naming names. You've posted a large number of threads concerning the likes of Dampier, Camby, Kurt Thomas, and so on, none of whom could be considered a "near top tier center." They would be upgrades, and better than average, but nowhere near the level of player that could be considered elite.

So who do you have your eyes on? Yao? O'Neal and Duncan aren't going anywhere. And I don't think you'd like Miller quite so much if he weren't playing alongside a center who's still quite good (Divac) and perhaps the league's best all-around shooter (Stojakovic).

A third tier guy like Longley can be enough on a team that has the right complementary players

Actually I think Longey was a terrible player, probably no better than Voskuhl when you add it all up. His weaknesses were masked by playing with Jordan, but once he came to a less talented team, he was useless.

In summary, I am not convinced that signing Kobe gets the Suns out of the first round.... I am quite sure that having only backups and scrubs at center will not get it done.

Make up your mind. Are you "not convinced" that a team of Bryant/Stoudemire/Marion could get out of the lottery, or are you "quite sure" that they wouldn't get it done? In the first case you're hedging your bets; in the second case you're declaring impossibility.

Or, let me guess, am I playing word games again?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How can anyone say that a team with Amare/Shawn/Kobe wouldn't get out of the first round and still keep a straight face? Especially if Joe Johnson is still with the team.

Joe Johnson
Kobe Bryant
SHawn Marion
Amare Stoudemire
Any center

I don't care who the center is, that is a team that is made for the playoffs.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
It's amazing how many people refuse to catch on to the fact that the center position is dying.

I'm probably just reiterating elindholms point, but here it goes:

Championships are won by the team with the top superstar in the league. This has been the case every year since Bird/Magic entered the league, with the notable exception of the Thomas led Pistons. Bird, Magic, Jordan, Shaq, Duncan, Hakeem, and Moses were UNQUESTIONABLY top 3, if not THE top players in the game. So worrying about getting an “upper tier" center, whatever that means, seems pointless without a top level superstar. Unless, of course, you want to take the 1 in 13 chance of winning a championship like the Pistons.

Are Kobe or T-Mac top 3 talents? I think so. Maybe someone else doesn't. But whatever the case, history proves that the position of "top player in the game" or r00ler needs to be filled, at ANY position (guard, forward, or center) before you can start entertaining thoughts of winning a championship. We could sign Camby, trade for Dampier to be his backup, and have Okur play third string, and it STILL wouldn't get us any closer to a championship without that coveted r00ler. And you don't pass up the opportunity to get that type of player because of the chance that 4 or 5 years from now Amare could become one.

Beyond that, I'm just glad I didn't butcher "r00ler" in this post. :)

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's amazing how many people refuse to catch on to the fact that the center position is dying.

I basically agree, except I'd say more that it looks like it's dying because of O'Neal. Back in the '80s or early '90s, a team could use someone like Duncan, Jermaine O'Neal, or even Nowitzki at center without apology. In fact, teams would have been thrilled to have a big man with such diverse skills. But now, everyone pales in comparison to Shaquille O'Neal's bulk, so we sniff that those other players are "really power forwards," as though that makes them a lesser breed.

The narrow view of positions, in which the point guard passes but doesn't shoot, the shooting guard and small forward don't post up, and the center "dominates the paint" are better suited to the junior-college level. In the NBA, there are players at all positions who can do everything. What's happening now is that we define a "center" by what he can't do -- move quickly or shoot from the outside -- instead of by what he can. And that's bizarre, but I think it will stop once O'Neal retires.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
How can anyone say that a team with Amare/Shawn/Kobe wouldn't get out of the first round and still keep a straight face? Especially if Joe Johnson is still with the team.

Joe Johnson
Kobe Bryant
SHawn Marion
Amare Stoudemire
Any center

I don't care who the center is, that is a team that is made for the playoffs.

I suppose the Mavs proved you can get out of the first round with ANY center, but it is hard to get it done with someone who cannot play man defense in the post. Defense wins championships and the Suns are AWFUL on defense.

If I was certain that Lampe was going to become a decent defender, then I'd have no problem in killing all future FA signings (above mid cap) by taking on another max contract.

elindholmA third tier guy like Longley can be enough on a team that has the right complementary players

Actually I think Longey was a terrible player, probably no better than Voskuhl when you add it all up. His weaknesses were masked by playing with Jordan, but once he came to a less talented team, he was useless.

Based on his play in Phoenix it would be hard to disagree. However, in Chicago he was a pretty good fit. His skills were as a shooter, passer, and at blocking out (thus helping Rodman get his rebounds). He got away with more physical play in Chicago than in Phoenix, but mostly because he was not expected to play more than 24 minutes a game. The Bulls had a very good perimeter defense and so he did not have to deal with guys attacking the basket very much.

His talents were a better fit on the Bulls than with the Suns. Having him and Googs on the inside was a disaster - two passive finesse players who would rather shoot jumpers than attack the basket and get hustle rebounds. This was BC's low point as a GM.

Top tier players are great no matter what team they play on, but second and third tier players need the RIGHT complementary players.

The Celtics had McHale who was one of the most dominant big men of his era and Parish who was vastly underrated.

Those are subjective assessments with which I do not agree. Surely you would concede that it was Larry Bird's team?
It was Larry Bird's team, but as much because of his passing as his shooting. Many of those passes went to McHale.

I have heard a number of observers say that McHale at his peak was better than Malone. I'm not sure I agree, but it is pretty good company. Laker fans in the 80's said that McHale was the guy they feared the most because the Lakers had no answer to him. He had the ability to catch the ball high (from a pass or a rebound) and shoot without pulling the ball down or gathering himself.

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much is anything the Phoenix Suns wanted Luc Longley to just hit that 15 ft. shot with some consistency. He couldn't do it. On top of that he was a horrible defender.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
As much is anything the Phoenix Suns wanted Luc Longley to just hit that 15 ft. shot with some consistency. He couldn't do it. On top of that he was a horrible defender.

Joe Mama

You may be right. My impression was that he racked up fouls so fast that it he rarely got a chance to shoot. :D

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I basically agree, except I'd say more that it looks like it's dying because of O'Neal. Back in the '80s or early '90s, a team could use someone like Duncan, Jermaine O'Neal, or even Nowitzki at center without apology. In fact, teams would have been thrilled to have a big man with such diverse skills. But now, everyone pales in comparison to Shaquille O'Neal's bulk, so we sniff that those other players are "really power forwards," as though that makes them a lesser breed.

This is so true. If Amare was drafted in 1982, he would have become a dominant center.

The 1976 finals featured two starting centers who were 6-7 and 6-9 and 235 and 210 respectively. Those are 2's by today's standards. Its not so much that the centers have gone away as it is that all the other players have gotten bigger, faster, and more athletic (not necessarily more skilled).

Nate Thurmond would problably be playing small forward, if he were drafted today.

I would also contend that there is little advantage with heights over 7 feet. We have not seen a player yet that truly takes advantage of that greater stature (Muresan, Yao, etc). Its Shaq's strength, mass, and agility that make him so valuable (and the lack of offensive fouls called).

IOW 7'5" and marginal skills, is not an advantage over 7' with exceptional strenghth and skills.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by JCSunsfan
This is so true. If Amare was drafted in 1982, he would have become a dominant center.

The 1976 finals featured two starting centers who were 6-7 and 6-9 and 235 and 210 respectively. Those are 2's by today's standards. Its not so much that the centers have gone away as it is that all the other players have gotten bigger, faster, and more athletic (not necessarily more skilled).

Nate Thurmond would problably be playing small forward, if he were drafted today.

I would also contend that there is little advantage with heights over 7 feet. We have not seen a player yet that truly takes advantage of that greater stature (Muresan, Yao, etc). Its Shaq's strength, mass, and agility that make him so valuable (and the lack of offensive fouls called).

IOW 7'5" and marginal skills, is not an advantage over 7' with exceptional strenghth and skills.

I know no one believes this, but I actually agree. I think that heigth for centers is "overrated" compared to strength, anticipation, good hands, quickness, and desire. For a while many people got down on me when I said that I thought Okafor could play center for the Suns even though he is only 6'9" -- because he has the requisite skills. There are a few guys like Yao who would be able to post him up, but Yao can post up Shaq.

Determining that big is not necessary does not mean that talent isn't. Wes Unseld played center and he was only 6'7". But he was one of the top players in the NBA at the time and one of the strongest ever to play the game. Olajuwon was listed at 7'0" but was not that tall.

BTW, Nat Thurmond played PF when he first come up. The Warriors had a guy named Chamberlin... :D I didn't get to see much of Thurmond until late in career, but even then he was a fantastic defender and rebounder plus an excellant passer.

Kareem in the 1980's was the last center whose main advantage was on offense (he did discourage guys from driving the lane). The key for most is their defense including Robinson.

In any case, the key to having a center is someone who can keep the opposing center from killing you and discourage guys from driving the lane. Right now the Suns don't have that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05