Eli Manning

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Again this has already been discussed in several threads.
The reasons not to draft first round QB have been factually proven.
1. Development time.
2. Money issues if doesn't bust or does.
3. Bust potential.
4. Team benefit even if doesn't bust.
5. Whether a franchis QB is needed in this era.
6. ETC.

People have factually shown that the case to not draft a QB in the top 3 is a very very strong rational and factual one.

Maybe someone can just provide some linkage.

Vikesfan, I don't normally get on your case, but you're so full of it, it's leaking out of your eyes. 1-6 is your OPINION. Nothing more, nothing less. 'Factually proven' my big toe. I could just as easily 'factually prove' why it's better to draft a possible franchise QB early, but it wouldn't be 'factual' or 'proven' at all...because it's all a matter of opinion. You're a fool and an idiot for trying to pass off opinion as fact. Arrogant to boot.

Stout

Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Actually if McCown fails, then we let him walk in free agency at the end of this season and then go from there. If we draft Manning/Roethlisberger and they don't pan out, we're sh-- out of luck for nearly the next decade.

Thanks for proving my point. If McCown fails, we've wasted time and STILL have to go out and find a QB...which sets us back a good couple of seasons.

And to address your second point...if you have utter confidence in a QB prospect (which I do, which the Cards would have to have if they take one of them) then you don't worry about them not panning out...you groom them to succeed.

I can just as easily say we're equally as screwed if we take Fitz and he doesn't pan out...but then, that wouldn't 'conveniently' fit yours and other people's arguments, would it?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Stout said:
Thanks for proving my point. If McCown fails, we've wasted time and STILL have to go out and find a QB...which sets us back a good couple of seasons.

And to address your second point...if you have utter confidence in a QB prospect (which I do, which the Cards would have to have if they take one of them) then you don't worry about them not panning out...you groom them to succeed.

I can just as easily say we're equally as screwed if we take Fitz and he doesn't pan out...but then, that wouldn't 'conveniently' fit yours and other people's arguments, would it?

You can say whatever you want dude but I didn't prove any point of yours. And I actually feel kind of sorry for you "Let's draft a QB" guys. You spend all this time arguing and talking about someting that isn't going to happen. It's like starting a thread to discuss why we should clone Walter Payton and naming him our starting RB. That, like us drafting a QB at #3, is not going to happen. Get over it.

Unfortunately the sad thing is for every INT that Josh throws, I'm anticipating certain people on this board to launch into "we should have drafted Roethlisberger" tirades. McCown earned his spot, can we at least let him see what he can do with it before we deem him a failure or success?

Stout

Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
You can say whatever you want dude but I didn't prove any point of yours. And I actually feel kind of sorry for you "Let's draft a QB" guys. You spend all this time arguing and talking about someting that isn't going to happen. It's like starting a thread to discuss why we should clone Walter Payton and naming him our starting RB. That, like us drafting a QB at #3, is not going to happen. Get over it.

Unfortunately the sad thing is for every INT that Josh throws, I'm anticipating certain people on this board to launch into "we should have drafted Roethlisberger" tirades. McCown earned his spot, can we at least let him see what he can do with it before we deem him a failure or success?

First, you don't know we aren't drafting a QB. I happen to think we probably won't, but I'll bust a gut laughing in your face if DG has been blowing sunshine and takes one. It's faaaaaaaaar more likely and possible than 'cloning Payton', an idiotic comparison if I've ever seen one. Thanks for your sympathy...I'll feel bad when we have Fitz and Boldin, can gain tons of yards in the air, and still can't run because our receivers can't stretch the field.

Second, I'm not deeming McCown a failure...I'm just not sold on him. I think anybody that's 100 percent sold on McCown right now is a homer (well, there's no real 'I think'...if someone tries to objectively say that, they are indeed a homer...he's shown potential, but that's all). And I won't jump his case for every single INT, either. Now, if he starts chucking them like Jake, then I will, sure. Otherwise, I'll let him have some growing pains and hope he makes it.

Third, you did prove my point, whether you care to admit it or not. If Josh fails and we have no backup plan, we'll have to THEN go out and get a QB and develop him. You conceded that point unwittingly in your previous post, thus proving my point. Thanks for calling!

OP
OP
BigRedMO

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Using development time as a knock against drafting a QB in the Cardinals case is nonsense. They led the league in lowest points scored by an offense and most points allowed by a defense. This team is not going to win this year and probably not next year no matter who you pick. If you think they are going to win this year you need to stop smoking crack, drinking the cool aid or what ever else it is you do.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The facts are there statistically. You know they are people did the math.

And as for DG being sold on Josh I agree with you I don't know if he is completely sold on him. But he is sold on winning now.

If DG thought Eli or Ben were the next coming of Culpepper I think he just might draft them. But he wants to win this year and turn the program around sooner then later.

Remember what DG said he has to win with the players here. It would take too long to overturn the whole roster!
But at the same time if DG thought Josh was like Blake he would not have gone with him!

Josh on film showed enough to the DG's expert eye.

And if people are planning to post we should have drafted Ben and Eli posts forget it. DG will take a worthy #1 pick. It might not be a QB but by passing on a QB DG is not saying they suck. DG has repeatedly said that Eli is right at the top of the draft pool this year!

BradMannTX

Puh-shaw
Reaction score
Montgomery, TX -- Birthplace of the Texas Flag!
Don't get mad at me Stout, but man, this is the biggest load I ever hear for drafting a QB. You don't have to bet for the "next 3-5 seasons" on McCown. Denny has a proven track record of developing QBs. It's proven.

I think DG has proven to win with different quarterbacks in MINNESOTA. Nothing's proven until he does it with different teams in different situations.

When he does it in AZ, I don't think anyone would ever be able to take his guru status away.