Emeka Okafor thread

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We have Amare....

Originally posted by SirStefan32
I think so.

Anyway, Okafor is an outstanding player. He is a very good defender/ shot blocker, and has some offensive moves. He can contribute immediately.

I think he and Amare could cover 4 and 5 easily. My only concern is that neither one of them has a short jumper.

I hope he can develop a short jumper, but I can live with his skills as is. I see him as a slightly taller version of Brand.

BTW, I do believe that Lampe is the Suns center of the future and there is little doubt that he has a jumper. None the less, I would love to have someone like Okafor backing up both positions and starting some of the time depending on matchups.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We have Amare....

Originally posted by George O'Brien
I hope he can develop a short jumper, but I can live with his skills as is. I see him as a slightly taller version of Brand.

BTW, I do believe that Lampe is the Suns center of the future and there is little doubt that he has a jumper. None the less, I would love to have someone like Okafor backing up both positions and starting some of the time depending on matchups.

I'm very excited about Lampe, but I think it's a little early to call him the center of the future. We've been excited by players we haven't actually seen before.

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We have Amare....

Originally posted by Joe Mama
I'm very excited about Lampe, but I think it's a little early to call him the center of the future. We've been excited by players we haven't actually seen before.

Joe Mama

This sounds familiar. Isn't the giddiness about Lampe similar to that of a certain center name Dejan Kuturovic? :D

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We have Amare....

Originally posted by Chaplin
This sounds familiar. Isn't the giddiness about Lampe similar to that of a certain center name Dejan Kuturovic? :D

No way. I can't prounouce Kuturovic. :D

Lampe is definitely a "project" and most projects don't work out. However, he has the size and offensive skills to be a big contributor as early as this year. The question is whether he can play defense and will he be willing to bang around on the inisde? If not, then the Suns will need to have some toughness to back him up.

Unfortunately, all the really tall guys in this year's NBA draft are also projects and none have Lampe's shooting skills. All are either 18 or 19 years old. Here are a few comments from NBADRAFT.com

Pavel Podkolzine 7-5 300 C (Russia) 1985

Offensively he plays very timidly. With the ball he doesn't take any initiative... Does not seem to have great touch and has a long ways to go figuring out post moves ... Imposing presence, he's dangerous to take the basketball at.... Defensively does not have a good feeling for the game or sense of the position... Very raw.

Kosta Perovic 7-1 230 PF/C (Serbia-Montenegro) 1985

Has a very limited offensive game. Points come off putbacks and short jumpers. Needs to really develop a back to the basket game to become effective. Kosta also depends on his height for rebounds and not positioning...footwork overall needs work. Defensively everything is based off his size. Over time he will learn the nuances of the game and become much more effective.

Tiago Splitter 7-0 235 PF (Brazil) 1985

His future is at the SF position,... His body still very weak to play the PF position. He has problems defending stronger guys and playing post up on offense, has to improve his timing on rebounds and his patience on defense. His defense can improve a lot playing in Europe and his body will certainly develop...Prefers to play on the outside. Shies away from contact...Has a ways to go skill-wise.

Andris Biedrins 7-0 240 PF/C (Latvia) 1986. Not that polished yet on the offensive end...Has yet to add some inside moves, a more reliable outside shot and some pounds of muscle.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Chad Ford said in his recent chat that Dwight Howard is 6'11 and Okafor 6'9.

If Howard is really that tall I would take him as the future center even although from what you hear he might be able to play all frontcourt positions.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
Chad Ford said in his recent chat that Dwight Howard is 6'11 and Okafor 6'9.

If Howard is really that tall I would take him as the future center even although from what you hear he might be able to play all frontcourt positions.

Neither Howard nor Okafor are ideal, but they appear to be the best two prospects in this draft. This meay change if one of the big Euro players shows significant improvement, but right now these are the guys.

The buzz on Howard is that he could be better than LeBron in terms of athleticism and overall skills. If he is as good as some people are claiming, the Suns would have to take him because he is a potential franchise player.

Over the next five months his game will be picked apart during workouts, the combine, and so on. After the dismal start by Chambers and K. Browne, teams are lot more careful about making conclusions just based on athleticism.

My guess is that he is a great prospect, but not quite up to the hype. If so, the Suns may be concerned about taking a guy who is only about 225 pounds. Initially, his best position is SF, which is the Sun's deepest position (Marion, Carbakapa, and Johnson). He is a lot lighter than Amare was when he came out.

Unless Howard is as good as his hype, I'd still take Okafor because he is going to be very very good (a combination Brand and Ben Wallace) and will productive right from the start. In an age when most of the better centers are actually small forwards, he could play a lot. If Lampe develops like we are hoping, having an Okafor backing up both the #4 and #5 is not my idea of a "problem".

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okafor on national TV at 1:30 p.m.

It's probably some sort of regional coverage because Duke and Wake Forest are not on TV here in the Phoenix area. However, Okafor, Ben Gordon, and the UConn Huskies will be playing Raymond Felton and the North Carolina Tar Heels today (Saturday) at 1:30 p.m. Arizona time. It should be on CBS.

Joe Mama

sunsfn

Reaction score
I am watching Okafor on tv right now.

I do not think there is any way he is 6' 9" tall..........
I also do not think he is 250 pounds.

However, he is a player..........

He actually runs and moves like someone about about 6' 7"
(he is probably bigger than that)

And, he actually reminds me of Amare. Aggresive etc.

His birthday is 9/28/82, so he is now 21 years of age, and is in his 3rd year of college, so he is ready for the NBA.

:)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by sunsfn
I am watching Okafor on tv right now.

I do not think there is any way he is 6' 9" tall..........
I also do not think he is 250 pounds.

However, he is a player..........

He actually runs and moves like someone about about 6' 7"
(he is probably bigger than that)

And, he actually reminds me of Amare. Aggresive etc.

His birthday is 9/28/82, so he is now 21 years of age, and is in his 3rd year of college, so he is ready for the NBA.

:)

I agree that he does not look really tall, But he sure looks really good. :thumbup:

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Someone must be wrong because some say he looks shorter than 6'9 while some say he looks like a legit 6'10-6'11.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some of the problem has to do with whether the player is measured with or without shoes. In any case, I wish they would list arm length in addition to heigth because reach is very important. Okafor looks like he has very long arms.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of the problem has to do with whether the player is measured with or without shoes. In any case, I wish they would list arm length in addition to heigth because reach is very important. Okafor looks like he has very long arms.

A player's reach is probably the most important measure of height. At least IMO.

If I had to guess I would say Okafor is probably 6-9 or 6-8. He definitely has some long old arms though. He blocked a shot towards the end of that game that was just amazing.

Can you imagine how he and Amare Stoudemire could challenge each other in practices?

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
A player's reach is probably the most important measure of height. At least IMO.

If I had to guess I would say Okafor is probably 6-9 or 6-8. He definitely has some long old arms though. He blocked a shot towards the end of that game that was just amazing.

Can you imagine how he and Amare Stoudemire could challenge each other in practices?

Joe Mama

It had been a while since I had seen Okafor and I did not remember him being so quick plus he has a short jumper that is a huge addition. One scouting report described him as Ben Wallace with offensive skills and I saw nothing to challenge that opinion.

Independent of "need", I think he would be a great choice on the "best player" category and would produce from game #1.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think he looks a little like Amare with a bit less athleticism, less offensive game and better team defense.
Amare has a lot more offensive game right now and I would say as good shotblocker, man to man defender.

I would be curious what numbers Amare would put up in the NCAA.

I also think Okafor won't average nearly as many blocks as he does in college because in the NBA they go stronger to the basket than that and will get Okafor into foul trouble quickly if he is too agressively trying to block shots.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he looks a little like Amare with a bit less athleticism, less offensive game and better team defense.
Amare has a lot more offensive game right now and I would say as good shotblocker, man to man defender.

I would be curious what numbers Amare would put up in the NCAA.

I also think Okafor won't average nearly as many blocks as he does in college because in the NBA they go stronger to the basket than that and will get Okafor into foul trouble quickly if he is too agressively trying to block shots.

Amare has a year plus of NBA experience, so I would hope he has learned something. It sure looked like Okafor could play defense to me and he appeared to be a good passer.

I want Okafor for his rebounding, shot blocking, and man defensive skills. I would not expect him to be Amare (no one else is either), but I think he could complement Amare.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare has a year plus of NBA experience, so I would hope he has learned something. It sure looked like Okafor could play defense to me and he appeared to be a good passer.

I want Okafor for his rebounding, shot blocking, and man defensive skills. I would not expect him to be Amare (no one else is either), but I think he could complement Amare.

I agree George. Amare Stoudemire was a very good shot blocker at the beginning of last year when no one realized the Phoenix Suns had someone who could actually defend the interior. He was also getting into a lot of foul trouble. I think Okafor is a better defender, shot blocker, and rebounder than Amare Stoudemire already. I had watched him once already this season, but his offense today was much better than I remembered. I was also impressed with some of his passes.

Originally posted by hcsilla
Okafor would be a very good addition but it's unlikely that Suns can pick him unless we get a top3 pick.

You are right. I can't imagine him falling any farther than #3 unless he is extremely short when they measure him. Still, this is one of those guys you draft and figure out where you are going to play him later. He is very good.

Joe Mama

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns draft pick will be Podkolzine if he is there.

Mark it. (I tabbed Zarko six months before the draft last time)

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Podkolzine is a scrub in europe. There is even rumors about him having a bad attitude.

Even if he gets lucky and isn't a bust, the Suns could never use him. He is way too big and stiff to fit in.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I am having a very funny conversation on another board with a Bullsfans who thinks Emeka is much better than Amare.

Because Amare is stupid, can only dunk and totally raw.

Some people should finally lighten up about Amare.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Podkolzine is a scrub in europe. There is even rumors about him having a bad attitude.

Even if he gets lucky and isn't a bust, the Suns could never use him. He is way too big and stiff to fit in.

And don't forget his alwats hurt ankles. I wouldn't draft him in the first round.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sure and Zarko can't shoot and is terrible.

This isn't an issue if I think he is good or not...it is what Jerry and BC want.

My proof:

They have said repeatedly that Jake is a great sparkplug off the bench type.

They already have a young PG in Barbosa and they hope that Vujanic is coming.

They have their backup to Amare and Marion already in Zarko

They lack any legit seven footers.

Podkolzine amazed the scouts last year and would have went in the top 5 had he stayed in. The Suns commented at the time he was suprising.

The only time in the last decade that a team won a championship without a legit seven footer was because the best player ever to play the game was playing at the time.

The Suns have been searching for a true center for years. We have seen Jerry sign or acquire: Klein, Schayes, Longley, Tsakalidis, Miller (twice), ect...

With two draft picks, the Suns will say how they could gamble on one of them with a true center.

I am sure this will be shot down...just as it was last year when I said we would draft Zarko...but I am fairly confident in this assessment. If Podkolzine is there...the Suns will take him.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Podkolzine jumped out of the draft last year because nobody in the lottery wanted to give him their word.

Zarko at least played minutes on his team.

You don't gamble with lottery picks. That's way too pricey.