OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
so far away said:
Does that mean you think Jerry Rice should retire as a Seahawk? Should Tim Brown retire a Buc? That is a completely stupid comment!

No it means that Emmit should have retired two years ago, and the same goes for Rice. Emmit didn't contribute anything to the Cards,face it he was over the hill when he came to the Cards.

CardinalMike

Chickens can't clap!
Reaction score
Emmitt said on ESPN today that if the Cardinals offered him another contract he would play for them this year. He just didn't want to move his family around the country so that he could extend his career another year. So either he got confirmation from the front office that he wasn't going to be offered a contract or just assumed that he wasn't and decided to retire.

Cardinal Mike!!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red Fury said:
No it means that Emmit should have retired two years ago, and the same goes for Rice. Emmit didn't contribute anything to the Cards,face it he was over the hill when he came to the Cards.

When was the last time a Cards back rushed for 9 TDs?

He was over-the-hill, but it's not like people are sitting around saying "the Cardinals were too good to have Emmitt on their team." The fact that his 937 yards and 9 TDs stacks up with ANY RB's performance since the Cards have been in Arizona is a hell of a lot more damning about the Cards than it is Smith.

OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:

He was over-the-hill, but it's not like people are sitting around saying "the Cardinals were too good to have Emmitt on their team." The fact that his 937 yards and 9 TDs stacks up with ANY RB's performance since the Cards have been in Arizona is a hell of a lot more damning about the Cards than it is Smith.

I maintain that if you gave any other average RB in the NFL the same amount of carries he would have did what Smith did for alot less money.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:

and as bad as our rushing game was, imagine what it would have been like without him this season.

*shudder*

Oh and what a prick Emmitt was at his press conference by repeatedly thanking the Cardinals and naming several coaches as well as players by name. He then later said how we were headed in the right direction. What an cornholio! :roll:

OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
and as bad as our rushing game was, imagine what it would have been like without him this season.

*shudder*

Oh and what a prick Emmitt was at his press conference by repeatedly thanking the Cardinals and naming several coaches as well as players by name. He then later said how we were headed in the right direction. What an cornholio! :roll:

Let me guess, another back probably would have gained about 900 yards and scored 7-10 TD's.

Emmitt thanked every person he ever had contact with. He even thanked the freakin Cardinal OL, now you tell me that was sincere?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Red Fury said:
Let me guess, another back probably would have gained about 900 yards and scored 7-10 TD's.

Emmitt thanked every person he ever had contact with. He even thanked the freakin Cardinal OL, now you tell me that was sincere?

Hey Red, I think you need to point your "fury" in another direction...Emmit did a solid job, and was classy at his press conference. Of course he was sincere, because he is a class act...Take some lessons from him:D

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have nothing against Emmitt the man, but I do have a problem with his original signing. Look at RB's taken in the 2003 draft (most in round 3 or later) that we might have considered if Emmitt wasn't signed:

Willis McGahee
Chris Brown
Dominick Davis
Onterio Smith
Quentin Griffin
Lee Suggs

I understand that this wasn't Emmitt's fault, it was the front office, however if he hadn't come here we might have had a great backup (and possible starter) when Shipp went down to injury.

The Shark

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Red Fury said:

What is wrong with thanking everyone he came into contact with that helped him out during his career or became a friend or teammate to him. If you were in that situation you would probably think only one person, yourself.

We wouldnt he have thanked them. He may not have thanked them for their blocking skills he was more of thanking them for being friends and teammates. Heck he even mentioned every RB on the Cards roster the last 2 years, why, becuase he became friends with them, he even mention D players like McKinnon and Wilson, they didnt block for him, so that must have not been sincere either right.

You really need to get over it. You keep finding fault where there is no fault to be found.

Last edited:

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
We wouldnt he have thanked them. He may not have thanked them for their blocking skills he was more of thanking them for being friends and teammates. Heck he even mentioned every RB on the Cards roster the last 2 years, why, becuase he became friends with them, he even mention D players like McKinnon and Wilson, they didnt block for him, so that must have not been sincere either right.

You really need to get over it. You keep finding fault where there is no fault to be found.

What's interesting is that -- I listened to it twice -- he never thanked Josh McCown, but he did thank Shaun King.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
What's interesting is that -- I listened to it twice -- he never thanked Josh McCown, but he did thank Shaun King.

See he wasnt thanking guys becuase they are great football players, or did great things for him, he was mostly thinking guys that become his friend along the way in his 15+ years of football.

chickenhead

Reaction score
No disrespect to Emmitt, but now that it's over it seems like even more a waste of time. The situation we're addressing now could have been addressed two years ago. The RB we might take in the first round or throw FA dollars at could already have been here. I know that a lot of things could have happened differently, but it seems like the compromises we have to make now could have been lessened had the Cards not tried to patronize us with a Cowboy HoFer.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
I have nothing against Emmitt the man, but I do have a problem with his original signing. Look at RB's taken in the 2003 draft (most in round 3 or later) that we might have considered if Emmitt wasn't signed:

Willis McGahee
Chris Brown
Dominick Davis
Onterio Smith
Quentin Griffin
Lee Suggs

I understand that this wasn't Emmitt's fault, it was the front office, however if he hadn't come here we might have had a great backup (and possible starter) when Shipp went down to injury.

The Shark

We still wouldn't have taken a RB with the Pace and BJ fiasco that went down in the draft.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
chickenhead said:
No disrespect to Emmitt, but now that it's over it seems like even more a waste of time. The situation we're addressing now could have been addressed two years ago. The RB we might take in the first round or throw FA dollars at could already have been here. I know that a lot of things could have happened differently, but it seems like the compromises we have to make now could have been lessened had the Cards not tried to patronize us with a Cowboy HoFer.

So now, in a RB rich draft and FA class, we are in need. And, whomever we sign will be here for a few years longer during the rebuilding.

It actually turned out to be a perfect timing play.

OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
So now, in a RB rich draft and FA class, we are in need. And, whomever we sign will be here for a few years longer during the rebuilding.

It actually turned out to be a perfect timing play.

That is definetly looking through rose colored glasses.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, it's looking through realistic colored glasses.

Revisionist history has no place in building a winner. The sooner people stop grousing over Pace/Bryant Johnson and Emmitt and Fitz instead of whomever, the sooner people can move on and embrace the team and the management.

We are set to have a damn fine backfield next season, with Shipp, Hambrick and RB draft pick or RB FA. I'm excited.

OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:

Revisionist history has no place in building a winner. The sooner people stop grousing over Pace/Bryant Johnson and Emmitt and Fitz instead of whomever, the sooner people can move on and embrace the team and the management.

We are set to have a damn fine backfield next season, with Shipp, Hambrick and RB draft pick or RB FA. I'm excited.

I'm not too thrilled with what the Cards have in the backfield right now but I agree that Brown would look real good, I'm just not so sure that he will be there when the Cards pick.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
This is without a doubt one of the dumbest threads I have ever read! Of course Smith would retire as a cowboy. Think OJ should have retired a 49er? puhhhlease

Emmit is nothing but class. You can disgaree about his signing all day but that has nothing to do with his character, work ethic, desire, and ability. Learn to seperate the two....

He is nothing but a class act!

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:

You are denouncing Emmitt Smith and Larry Fitzgerald for the "damn find backfield of Marcel Shipp?" :shrug:

:shrug:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's kind of fun watching all of us non-players lean back on our easy chairs and pass judgment on a RB who, in some years, gained more yardage than the entire Cardinal running attack.

A great football player retired. That's a very big deal. Not only did he deserve to go out with fanfare, it was good for the league that one of its icons got a special sendoff.

As a Cardinal fan, I was disappointed that (a) Jerry Jones sat in a prominent position to Emmitt's left and (b) the following half-hour special on Emmitt's pro career began and ended with the Cowboys with no mention of the Cardinals (When is the NFL going to stop giving "most favored nation" status - including pr face-time to Team Felon?)

But having said that - I do not thing any of this is a knock on Emmitt. He's earned the right to go out the way he wanted to. And I think handled the situation even-handedly and with as much class as you could expect from anyone who - after 15 years - was about to stop doing the thing he most loved to do in his life.

And, oh yeah: If we want to make sure, Emmitt's youngest son "continues to wear red" despite Emmitt's influence, it will be up to the Cardinal organization and everyone associated with it to win consistently and handle its affairs with as much if not more class as their cousins in blue.

Last edited:

DCCardsFan

Rookie
Reaction score
Just in case no one noticed this:

"I want to thank the Cardinals for letting me play two more years," he said. "I padded that record. That does mean a lot to me."

I understand that a lot of you think he is a class guy just because he reads a list of names, but I've never liked him. From the way he keeps EVERY SINGLE DAMN ball he ever scores a touchdown with (likely so he can sell them years from now for ridiculous amounts of money), to the way he has always obsessed about his personal stats (he had a bigger smile when he scored his 100th TD than he did when he won superbowls), this quote should not be a surprise to anyone.

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
Some of you are a bunch of whiners! I don't care if you like him or not, I don't care if you think he's a class act or a shameless stat padder, he holds the record for most rushing yards EVER! He's most likely the greatest running back to ever play NFL football and a sure fire Hall of Famer, he should be retiring as a Cowboy and he should be announcing it on a major stage such as the Superbowl! I've never heard such a rediculous arguement on this board before. I believe even at his age he wouldn't be counter productive to have on your football team.

For the record, I hate the cowboys and always have and I'm not a big Emmitt fan.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DCCardsFan said:
From the way he keeps EVERY SINGLE DAMN ball he ever scores a touchdown with (likely so he can sell them years from now for ridiculous amounts of money),
I really don't think Emmitt is keeping those balls to sell them, nor do I think he'll ever need to. Of all the stupid things said in this thread, that might take the cake.

PS--I'm no fan of Emmitt. Never have been.

DCCardsFan

Rookie
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I really don't think Emmitt is keeping those balls to sell them, nor do I think he'll ever need to. Of all the stupid things said in this thread, that might take the cake.

PS--I'm no fan of Emmitt. Never have been.

Well, he's already sold a couple (and given the proceeds to charity). I guess now I'll get a flood of posts about how great a guy he is for giving those balls to charity. If he's not selling them/giving them away, then I guess he just keeps 100s of balls in his huge trophy room.

Either way, I think it's terrible where his priorities are, and I don't like him. If there ever was an anti-Barry Sanders, he is it.

As for him going in as a Cowboy, of course he should, and who cares when he decides to announce it.

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
The reason why he chose to do it now is becuase of the people in attendance - mainly Irvin, Moose Johnston, & Aikman will all be there.

He wanted to go out with the people who meant the most to him.

I never did like EMmit as a Cowboy, but I do appreciate his work ethic & his dedication to the game.

I have no problem with what he did.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05