Era for Rams closes with embarrassing loss to Arizona

Rams4evah

Veteran
Reaction score
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sp...5C87C731BB465C10862570BF007F9C3D?OpenDocument

Era for Rams closes with embarrassing loss to Arizona
By Jeff Gordon
ONLINE SPORTS COLUMNIST
11/20/2005

It’s over.

An amazing era of Rams football ended ignominiously Sunday afternoon at the Edward Jones Dome. What a sad spectacle it was.

The man who starred on the best of those teams, Kurt Warner, helped finish them off. He led the Arizona Cardinals to a stunning 38-28 victory over the Rams.

We figured he would have a big game back at The Ed, but never could we have imagined Warner could lead the hapless, injury-battered Gridbirds over the Rams at The Ed. In a season featuring many lows, this was finally rock bottom.

“A very disappointing afternoon for our football team,” interim Rams coach Joe Vitt said.

Disappointing doesn’t begin to cover it, Joe. Bill Bidwill owns the Gridbirds. He is the man who took the NFL away from St. Louis, because our town’s Powers That Were wanted nothing to do with him and his losing team.

The Gridbirds were 2-7 this season. Two and seven! A former Rams hero quarterbacked this team, a couple years after this franchise gave him up for dead.

Tthe Rams could NOT lose this game. They knew coming in that there would be no recovering from a defeat. Failure in this game would be fatal to their postseason hopes.

They understood just how high the stakes were . . . and still they rolled over on their own field. Their performance was a complete embarrassment. There is no way to sugarcoat such a fiasco.

So like we said, it’s over.

That loss drops the Rams to 4-6, virtually ending their playoff hopes. Quarterback Marc Bulger aggravated his shoulder injury, further dooming this once powerful team in ’05.

Head coach Mike Martz, the architect of one of the NFL’s all-time offenses, will finish out the season on medical leave and then pursue coaching opportunities elsewhere. Barring a change of heart among top Rams executives, Mad Mike is finished here.

The Rams will just be playing the string now, playing for pride in the final six games of the season while wondering what the future might bring.

We presume the next coach will overhaul the defense, install a whole new system and bring in a fresh set of assistant coaches to teach. The turnover could be massive, all the way across the board.

We like Vitt, but this loss finished him as a legitimate candidate to become the franchise’s next head coach. He is the linebacker coach and the Rams linebackers stink.

Vitt had a hand in bringing free agents Chris Claiborne and Dexter Coakley here. He has played a major role in developing Pisa Tinoisamoa and Brandon Chillar, too.

None of these guys are playing winning football. Vitt tried to claim the defense didn’t play poorly until the end of this game.

“For the most part,” Vitt said, “we kind of did our job on defense.”

No you didn’t. The Gridbirds have an awful ground game and yet they ran on the Rams. A tight end named Adam Bergen made huge plays right in the middle of the “D.”

The Rams knew that Warner was vulnerable in the pocket, given his lack of mobility and tendency to hang onto the ball too long. Other than one early fumble, though, the Rams didn’t force him to spit up the ball.

So much went wrong for the Rams in this game. They couldn’t run the ball. The offensive line opened up nothing for running back Steven Jackson.

The officials flagged the Rams for a variety of untimely infractions. The special teams chipped in by allowing a 90-yard kickoff return at the critical juncture of the game.

Once again, the sloppiness of the Rams’ play was galling.

“We keep shooting ourselves in the foot,” Vitt said. “We keep self-destructing.”

That’s why we know that it is over, o-v-e-r. The team cannot survive as is. The men running this franchise must hit the restart button and create a new team and a new atmosphere at Rams Park.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
:In best Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday voice:

" I know, let's have a spelling contest".

OP
OP
Rams4evah

Rams4evah

Veteran
Reaction score
Pariah said:
So, what "era" is over?

It sucks to see a mere shadow of a one time powerhouse take the field. We were one play away from being swept by you guys this year. The Rams need to rebuild. Our good WRs are getting old, and the young guys aren't stepping up. We also have the world's worst defensive coordinator.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Rams4evah said:
It sucks to see a mere shadow of a one time powerhouse take the field. We were one play away from being swept by you guys this year. The Rams need to rebuild. Our good WRs are getting old, and the young guys aren't stepping up. We also have the world's worst defensive coordinator.

I think Marmie is doing okay. I mean, if you guys wern't banged up, his schemes would work very well.

I say give him another couple of years.

MAR-MIE! MAR-MIE! WHOOOOO!!!!

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
One of the reasons I'm addicted to this Cardinals team is my pure joy at the chaos and widespread panic when a team loses to us. Coaches get fired. Players end their careers. Newspapers run shrill and hysterical columns about how its the end of era, nothing will ever be the same. It never fails.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Gridbirds? Am I missing something?

I guess it is how St Louis indentifies these "cardinals" as opposed to the baseball "cardinals". "gridbirds" = football (gridiron) cardinals

HooverDam

Reaction score
clif said:
I guess it is how St Louis indentifies these "cardinals" as opposed to the baseball "cardinals". "gridbirds" = football (gridiron) cardinals

AHHHHH. Man, Im in St Louis and I didnt get it. Wow, I feel stupid. Im going to go jump through a plate glass window and cut my bicep now.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
RedViper said:
One of the reasons I'm addicted to this Cardinals team is my pure joy at the chaos and widespread panic when a team loses to us. Coaches get fired. Players end their careers. Newspapers run shrill and hysterical columns about how its the end of era, nothing will ever be the same. It never fails.

You ain't lying RV. It's like the end of the world when you lose to the Cardinals. Never mind if you just got manhandled. Clowns like Darren Sharper always talk that "we had no business losing to a team like that" garbage. WHATEVERRRRR!!!

:D :newcards:

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rams4evah said:

Welcome to our feelings - every year.

Except for the being a powerhouse part.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
This article mentions Marmie's overmatched defense several times...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/berniemiklasz/story/A444B76B7162A60A862570C000183CE6?OpenDocument

Warner authors another chapter, with Rams' help
By Bernie Miklasz
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
Sunday, Nov. 20 2005

Granted, Kurt Warner was firing footballs against a poorly coached, unmotivated Rams team. What movie did Joe Vitt show to fire up the boys this time? The depressing Debra Winger death-bed scene from "Terms of Endearment"? Or maybe the baseball Cardinals' highlights from the 2004 World Series?

And it's true that Warner's eruption came against a soft and squishy Rams defense coordinated by the typically overmatched Larry Marmie. No question, the Rams made it easy for Warner. They declined to pressure a quarterback who has a recent history of getting rattled when rushed, and their cornerbacks inexplicably lined up so far from the Arizona receivers that the Rams DBs nearly backpedaled into the Mississippi River.

The difficulty factor for Warner in this game was low. The Rams all but rolled
out a giant Hallmark greeting card for No. 13 on his return "home" to St.
Louis. But does it matter? No. Quarterbacks either make plays in this league,
or they fade away.

And in zapping the overwhelmed Rams for 285 yards and three touchdowns, Warner put on a revival show that summoned memories from 1999, 2000 and 2001, when he owned the hearts of St. Louis football fans.

"I don't think I had a lot to prove," Warner said. "But you want to show
everybody you can still play this game. This great (Rams) organization, these
fans, and the way it all kind of ended here - it was nice. I wanted to come
back in and show people that I could still play. Not that I was trying to throw
it in anybody's face, but it's just a nice feeling to be able to come back and
perform at a high level."

Actually, Warner threw 27 completions in the Rams' face. And the crowd didn't seem offended. Warner received a warm ovation when he jogged onto the field to take command of the offense on Arizona's first possession.

Warner waved his appreciative acknowledgement to the crowd but didn't stop
there. Kurt then waved off the Rams defense, accurately threading passes to
seven receivers and completing 69 percent in his sharpest performance in years. Warner hadn't produced three TD passes in the regular season since the 16th game of 2001.

And if Warner's 38-28 win over a hapless defense looked familiar, it was.
Except that Warner was taking aim for the visitors now, turning the home team into stooges.

"It was the continuation of the Kurt Warner Story," Arizona coach Dennis Green said. "He's got a lot of football left in him."

Yes ... especially if Warner had the chance to go against the comically passive Rams defense each week. If Warner could square off against Marmie, he'd be back on track for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Warner clearly loves to throw footballs in the Edward Jones Dome's
temperature-controlled environment. In 28 career starts at The Ed, he's 24-4
with 63 touchdown passes and a passer rating of 102.1. And only in St. Louis is Warner an icon, worthy of passionate support. This place always did bring out the best in him.

"I still feel the community here appreciates what we did, and we still have a
loving relationship," Warner said. "And I didn't think that would ever change.
But obviously that was nice, to be able to get a standing ovation and to have
the crowd be with me. And even when I was running off the field at the end, the people stayed there to cheer for me. It was a special day."

The only thing missing from Warner's big comeback, big-payback day was his
wife, Brenda. Back in the old days, Kurt would seal home wins in St. Louis with a kiss to Brenda at the railing by her seat. But on this occasion Brenda was at home in Arizona, resting in preparation for giving birth to twin girls.

"She wanted to be here so bad and be a part of this," Warner said. "There
toward the end of the game, I was looking over for my chair in the corner and
wondered if she maybe showed up for me so I could run over and give her a kiss."

Several ex-teammates made their way down the hall to greet and congratulate Warner, including Isaac Bruce, Marshall Faulk, Orlando Pace and Marc Bulger. Warner also had family members from Iowa waiting outside the locker room on a glorious reunion day.

Warner's return to The STL wasn't the only homecoming. As Warner disposed of the Rams late in the fourth quarter, Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill noted the
large number of Rams fans evacuating to the exits.

"The parking lots are emptying early today," Bidwill said.

Bidwill couldn't have been happier. He graciously entertained more than 20
former members of the St. Louis football Cardinals in the visiting-owner's
suite. And Bidwill's team won with our town's favorite-son quarterback having a spectacular day.

To come into St. Louis and win with Warner?

Bidwill should have done an end-zone dance in celebration.