NBA Rumor Central: Brown out?

Monday, July 11WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
You must be registered for see images attach

Larry
Brown
Pistons?
Knicks?
Brown out?
<Jul. 11> The Larry Brown situation gets cloudier by the day. Recent talk has Pistons owner Bill Davidson on the verge of firing the legendary coach, the New York Daily News reports. And the Knicks are now hopeful again at the chances of hiring Brown. However, last week in the New York Post, Brown's wife was quoted as saying, "We're going to be back in Detroit next year. He's not going to coach the Knicks, and that's a fact. We wish the Knicks well."

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Antoine Walker
Celtics
Kings?
Celtics?
Rockets?
Knicks?
Who's in the running for Walker?
<Jul. 11> Teams interested in a versatile power forward have been reaching out to Antoine Walker's agent, Mark Bartelstein. The latest suitor is Sacramento, reports the Boston Herald and the Sacramento Bee. "I spoke with (Kings president of basketball operations) Geoff (Petrie) and explored some sign-and-trade possibilities," said Bartelstein in the Bee. The New York Times also reported that the Knicks have made a call. "We had a real good conversation," Bartelstein said. "Antoine thinks of the Knicks as a marquee franchise. ... The idea of playing in New York is exciting."

The Rockets and Celtics are also interested, according to the Herald.

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY

Ronald Murray
SuperSonics
Nuggets?
Flip for Nuggets?
<Jul. 11> The Nuggets are still searching for guard help and are interested in the Sonics' restricted free agent guard, Ronald "Flip" Murray. According to the Rocky Mountain News, Nuggets coach George Karl has had conversations with Murray's agent, Arn Tellem, and has also exchanged voice-mail messages with Murray. "I had Ronald for six months in Milwaukee," said Karl. "He's blossomed and played very well. ... I didn't think he would be as explosive as he has been."

The Nuggets can only offer a midlevel exception.

Sunday, July 10WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY

Joe Johnson
Suns
Hawks
Suns
Mo' Joe
<Jul. 10> ESPN.com's Marc Stein reports that the Hawks have given Suns restricted agent Joe Johnson a firm commitment that they'll sign him to a maximum offer sheet, expected to be a five-year, $70 million deal. However, Johnson's camp was informed that Phoenix intends to match Atlanta's offer.

Saturday, July 9WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Bobby Simmons
Clippers
Bucks
It's Bobby's world
<Jul. 9> Bobby Simmons is leaving L.A. for Milwaukee. The NBA's Most Improved Player has agreed to a five-year deal with the Bucks.

Friday, July 8WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Larry Hughes
Wizards
Cavaliers
Larry teams up with LeBron
<Jul. 8> Larry Hughes has come to terms with the Cleveland Cavaliers on a five-year deal, his agent, Jeff Wechsler, told ESPN Insider Chad Ford.

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Eddy Curry
Bulls
Bulls?
Bitter Curry
<Jul. 8> The Chicago Sun-Times reports that Eddy Curry is frustrated at the Bulls. "I feel like I've done everything that people have asked me to do to prove I'm healthy enough to play. The doctors have cleared me and said I can play. "They said that once I got cleared, they were going to lock me up [with a new contract], and that was going to be it. But that doesn't seem like it's going to happen. It certainly isn't happening right now. It's definitely leaving a sour taste in my mouth. ... I never wanted to leave Chicago, but it's a strong possibility that could happen from the way things look."

Bulls operations chief John Paxson has said he intends to keep Curry. However, the Daily Herald also reported last week that the Bulls will look to trade the 22-year-old center if they can get a big man in return.

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY

Chris Duhon
Bulls
Bulls?
Duhon dealing with the Bulls
<Jul. 8> According to the Chicago Tribune, Chris Duhon's agent, Bill Duffy, will meet with John Paxson today, and both sides are confident a deal can be reached soon.Duhon, a restricted free agent, is seeking a three-year contract worth about $6 million. If the Bulls sign him, the team will probably not be a player in the unrestricted free-agent market since Duhon's salary will dip into their mid-level exception.

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Brian Scalabrine
Nets
Celtics
Celtics land Scalabrine
<Jul. 8> Nets free agent Brian Scalabrine has reached an agreement in principle with the Celtics on a five-year, $15 million contract, says the Boston Herald.

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Jerome James
SuperSonics
Knicks?
Thinking big
<Jul. 8> Isiah Thomas seems to have narrowed his big man search down to Stromile Swift and Jerome James, the Star-Ledger reports. "I'd like to add another shot-blocker to the team," Thomas said. "Right now, there are a couple of players out there, one of them gives us length (Swift) and the other one gives us girth (James). If I can add either one of those players, it would be a good addition in the off-season for us, because both of those guys can block shots."

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Clifford Robinson
Nets
Heat?
Robinson's neighborhood: Miami?
<Jul. 8> Clifford Robinson is interested in talking contract with the Miami Heat, the Sun-Sentinel reports. "We are trying to get together right now," Robinson's agent Brad Marshall said. "There is nothing definitive yet."The Nets declined to pick up Robinson's option for next season.

Thursday, July 7WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Michael Redd
Bucks
Bucks
He'll take the Bucks
<Jul. 7> Michael Redd has agreed to re-sign with the Milwaukee Bucks, instead of the Cleveland Cavaliers."He's going to get a max deal in Milwaukee for $90 to $96 million, depending on what the cap is, over six years," Redd's agent, Kevin Poston, told The Associated Press.

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Stephon Marbury
Knicks
Hawks?
76ers?
Marbury in the Middle
<Jul. 7> Knicks president Isiah Thomas is denying reports that he is shopping his star player, Stephon Marbury. According to the New York Times and the Daily News, Thomas had this to say concerning the rumors: "That is so far from the truth. And I'm ashamed for you guys that you even have to ask me that, because there is absolutely no truth to it at all."When told that several general managers confirmed that they had talked to Thomas about Marbury, the former Bad Boy erupted. "Tell the GMs, whoever the GM is, to put his name on it," Thomas said.

The New York Times had reported last week that two sources said the Knicks are open to moving Marbury. While ESPN Insider Chad Ford reported Marbury rumors concerning a sign-and-trade with the Sixers for center Samuel Dalembert and also a potential deal with the Hawks for forward Al Harrington.

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Nene Hilario
Nuggets
Kings?
King Nene?
<Jul. 7> Apparently the Nuggets don't like the sound of that. Sacramento has shown interest in Nene and there have been rumblings about a sign-and-trade scenario involving him and Kings free agent guard Cuttino Mobley. But Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe said he is not shopping his power forward, the Rocky Mountain News reports. "I am not looking to trade Nene," Vandeweghe said. "I like him. I view him as one of our core guys."

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Stromile Swift
Grizzlies
Knicks?
76ers?
Rockets?
Swift fits in Houston
<Jul. 7> Stromile Swift met with the Rockets yesterday and came away impressed, the Houston Chronicle reports. "Just looking from the outside, I can see the chemistry. They have a good team, a good coaching staff," Swift said. "For me, I think that's something I want to be a part of, a winning team, and hopefully I can come in and add on to what they built here and try to help them try to bring home a championship."Swift's youth and athleticism make him attractive to the Rockets. However, the club can only offer him the mid-level exception because they are over the salary cap, which might be a deciding factor. "A lot of times people say the dollars aren't important, but they really are," Swift said. "For me, I'm going to try to wait it out and weigh my options and see what's the best situation for me."

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Udonis Haslem
Heat
Heat
Hawks?
Cavaliers?
Haslem feels the Heat
<Jul. 7> According to the Sun-Sentinel, Udonis Haslem is willing to sign with the Heat for less money than he might command elsewhere. The Hawks and Cavs have expressed interest in the power forward, but he wants to remain loyal to the team that took a chance on him."I am forever thankful to those guys and if we can get anything close to a deal done, something around the range of what I should get, even if it's not as much, I will be glad to take it," Haslem said.

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Doug Christie
Magic
Magic?
Christie wants out of Orlando
<Jul. 6> Doug Christie never got it going with the Magic and after his season-ending ankle surgery, he demanded a trade. And even with all of the front-office changes, he's still looking to get out, Florida Today reports."Hopefully he'll have a change of mind," new head coach Brian Hill said, "because I think Doug is a pretty good basketball player, especially at the defensive end of the floor. I'd love to have him back here to try and fit in with this team."

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Cuttino Mobley
Kings
Nuggets?
Clippers?
Mountain time for Mobley?
<Jul. 6> The Nuggets are high on Cuttino Mobley's list. According to the Denver Post, Mobley's agent, Andy Miller, spoke to Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe several times Tuesday. Said Miller: "(Mobley) thinks (Karl) can fine-tune his game and make him better while also helping take the team to the playoffs." Mobley, who declined his option with Sacramento, would fill a need for Denver -- 3-point shooting. However, the Nuggets may have only the mid-level exception to offer, so a sign-and-trade may be in order. According to the Rocky Mountain News, the Kings want Nene.

The Los Angeles Clippers are also reportedly interested in Mobley, says the Post.

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Trail Blazers
Spurs?
Heat?
Magic?
Nets?
Moving Forward
<Jul. 6> The Nets are doing everything they can to land some frontcourt help, including enlisting the help of Jay-Z perhaps. According to the New York Daily News, the Nets will give Abdur-Rahim the red-carpet treatment starting today during his two-day visit to New Jersey as they try to convince the power forward to take the $4.9 million they have available.But, Aaron Goodwin, Abdur-Rahim's agent, said last week that it is "doubtful" he'd take lesser money to go to New Jersey. The only draw might be Lawrence Frank and Jason Kidd. Frank was a scout and assistant with the Vancouver Grizzlies in 1997 when Abdur-Rahim played up north. And Kidd and Abdur-Rahim both played college ball at Cal.

Abdur-Rahim is also slated to visit Sacramento, says the Daily News.

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Greg Buckner
Nuggets
Nuggets?
Rockets?
Who's got Buckner's back?
<Jul. 6> The Denver Post is reporting that Greg Buckner is still interested in returning to the Nuggets. "They'd like him back and he'd like to be back," Buckner's agent, Steve Kauffman, said. Buckner is looking for a deal that at least approaches the mid-level exception range. Kauffman also said his client has heard from five or six teams, with Houston believed to be among them.

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Marko Jaric
Clippers
Clippers?
Nuggets?
Marko on the market
<Jul. 6> According to the L.A. Times, the Clippers are expected to renew talks about re-signing Jaric. But they may have competition in the Denver Nuggets, who are among the teams interested in the restricted free agent point guard.

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Willie Green
76ers
Jazz?
76ers?
Time for Jazz to improv
<Jul. 5> With Raja Bell apparently on his way to Phoenix, the Jazz are now in search of guard help. According to the Salt Lake Tribune, one of the first phone calls Jazz vice president of basketball operations Kevin O'Connor made was to Noah Croom, the agent of 76ers guard Willie Green. "Kevin indicated to me that he believes Willie could come to the Jazz and make an important contribution," Croom said. However, Green is a restricted free agent and the Sixers intend on matching any offer for him.

Monday, July 4WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Cavaliers
Cavaliers
Cavs have tall order in Ilgauskas
<Jul. 4> Zydrunas Ilgauskas is a major priority for the Cavs and GM Danny Ferry proved it when he met with the center's agent, Herb Rudoy, over the weekend. But the five- or six-year deal Ilgauskas is seeking may be more than the Cavs are looking to offer, reports the Plain Dealer. Says Rudoy: "There's a good number of teams we're talking to about a sign and trade, and there are a couple of teams under the cap that are talking to me. ... We're also talking to Danny [Ferry] about Z returning. Z's thinking about [remaining with the Cavs]. He'd like to stay."

The Atlanta Hawks also have an interest in Ilgauskas and have salary cap space.

WHOWHATTHE SKINNY
Milwaukee
Head coach
Who's coaching the Bucks?
<Jul. 4> According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal, Doug Collins pulled his name out of the running for the Bucks' head coaching job over the weekend. That leaves Flip Saunders as the only serious candidate. However, Saunders is waiting to see how the Larry Brown situation in Detroit shakes out.
Friday, July 1WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY

Raja Bell
Jazz
Suns
Saved by the Bell?
<Jul. 1> Raja Bell told ESPN.com on Friday that he's planning to join the Suns later this month, as soon as NBA free agents are allowed to formally sign new contracts. "We're still negotiating the terms and everything, but that's where I intend to sign," Bell said. Knowing that Bell is bound to attract considerable interest from teams looking for a quality defender who's also underrated as a shot-maker, Phoenix was apparently quick to offer Bell a multi-year deal.

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Vlade Divac
Lakers
Lakers?
Lakers taking time with Vlade
<Jul. 1> According to the L.A. Times, the Lakers and Vlade Divac have postponed a decision on the center's contract status until Sept. 30. The Lakers can pick up a one-year, $5.4-million option or buy him out for $2 million. The new deadline allows the Lakers to evaluate Divac's back and the development of rookie Andrew Bynum a few days before training camp."It's something that affords us a lot more flexibility in a lot of different ways," Laker General Manager Mitch Kupchak said.

Thursday, June 30WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY

Michael Finley
Mavericks
Suns
Prodigal Sun?
<Jun. 30> According to the Dallas Morning News, the Suns are interested in Michael Finley, who began his career in Phoenix and is expected to be waived by the Mavs due to the new CBA provision.

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
Paul Pierce
Celtics
Green Day
<Jun. 30> With the drafting of high school phenom Gerald Green, Paul Pierce's days in the green and white may be numbered.Chicago Tribune columnist Sam Smith suggests the Celtics will try to trade Pierce this offseason as Ainge tries to shape a young roster into a winner. Pierce was "difficult and disruptive all season," Smith writes.

WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY

Kwame Brown
Wizards
Wizards?
Knicks?
Wanted in Washington?
<Jun. 30> Don't pack your bags just yet, Kwame. The Wizards have extended a qualifying offer to the disgruntled forward. "Time heals a lot of wounds and changes a lot of things," said team president Ernie Grunfeld in The Washington Times. "Everybody deserves a second chance, a second opportunity, so time will tell in what direction we go in. We're not closing the door to anybody."

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't believe Duhon would settle for $6 over three years with the Hawks in such need for a PG.

The Finley to the Suns rumors continue. It might create a log jam at the wing, but it could also mean JJax might be moved. JJax and Jake combined would be nearly $5 million.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It might create a log jam at the wing, but it could also mean JJax might be moved.

You could be right, but I hope not. Jackson played very well last year, especially in the playoffs, and deserves some respect for that. Now that he's finally found his way to a team with real championship aspirations, it would be sad to send him packing. Also, the new team would have to be concerned that he might not report.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys did see that the Michael Finley rumor was from June 30, right?

Joe Mama

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I can't believe Duhon would settle for $6 over three years with the Hawks in such need for a PG.

The Finley to the Suns rumors continue. It might create a log jam at the wing, but it could also mean JJax might be moved. JJax and Jake combined would be nearly $5 million.

How many teams are gonna trade for Jimmy Jackson after what he pulled last year?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
You guys did see that the Michael Finley rumor was from June 30, right?

Joe Mama

Cuban still hasn't officially waved him.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
If Cuban cut Finley I wouldn't be opposed to letting JJ walk. Should have kept Q, let go of JJ if he wanted Max dollars, signed Finley and made a move for Dalembert or another big man.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
devilalum said:
Cuban still hasn't officially waved him.

He has until October to waive him. Again, here is what I believe could happen.

Miami and Dallas pull a trade, Finley for Eddie Jones straight up. Then each team cuts their new player with the "one time waiver" rule.

Now Dallas can re-sign Finley for the minimum, and Miami can re-sign EJ. Both teams save around $15 million in lux tax output with no personnel disruption whatsoever.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:

Miami and Dallas pull a trade, Finley for Eddie Jones straight up. Then each team cuts their new player with the "one time waiver" rule.

Now Dallas can re-sign Finley for the minimum, and Miami can re-sign EJ. Both teams save around $15 million in lux tax output with no personnel disruption whatsoever.

No way the League lets this happen.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:

That couldn't happen under the old CBA, and I doubt they'll be able to under the new one, either. There is a blanket clause that prohibits teams from circumventing the intent of the CBA, and I'm sure this qualifies.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#86

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:

Agree with carey, no way this happens.

Errntknght

Reaction score
That's a cute maneuver, Joe... maybe too cute...I suspect the league would step in and disallow the contracts if they attempted to do it.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:

If the league thinks a team is making a deal just to circumvent the cap they will not let it happen.

Every deal has to be approved by the league.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Other than what the stats can tell what kind of season did Duhon have last year? I remember really liking what I heard from last years draft stuff. Does he look like he'll be a floor general as the scouts had anticipated?

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:

If I were a player (as long as they weren't max dollars I could play out one stint and then play for cheap wherever I wanted to from then on) the agony of being on a continually rebuilding team would not be worth a 25% increase in wage (guessing). I can't fathom how McMillan wants to go to Portland. Unless he sees it as a challenge and he's the type that is turned on by that kind of thing.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
panfolk said:
I can't fathom how McMillan wants to go to Portland. Unless he sees it as a challenge and he's the type that is turned on by that kind of thing.

A wealthier owner with a commitment to winning offering more money and likley given a longer leash. I can't fathom how McMillan could turn it down. Also with the Sonics likely losing key FA this year I don't see them being as good next year and Nate would have likely been blamed.