Espn Insider

Kolo

Reaction score
Brazil said:
Can Someone post this insider article?

Two posts and you're making requests? :D

Here you go:

For the second straight year, a rather intense debate is emerging concerning the order at the top of the draft.

Unlike two years ago when LeBron James was the consensus No. 1 pick, this year there is no meeting of the minds.

The three consensus best players in the draft are North Carolina freshman Marvin Williams, Wake Forest point guard Chris Paul and Utah big man Andrew Bogut.

The only thing Williams, Paul and Bogut have in common is upside.

Scouts believe that Williams has the most potential of any player in the draft. He's a 6-foot-9 combo forward with the true ability to play both the three and the four in the pros. He's got a nice outside stroke, can handle the ball well enough to play point forward in the pros, will attack the glass on both ends of the floor and has an impressive work ethic and basketball IQ.

Paul might be the best point guard prospect to enter the draft since Jason Kidd declared in 1994. Paul has unbelievable court vision, maturity and leadership, combined with top-flight speed, athleticism and the ability to knock down a jumper from just about anywhere on the court. He's the best of both point-guard worlds. He's a pass-first point guard who's determined to get his teammates involved, but he'll take over the game offensively if they can't get it going.

Bogut is the most fundamentally sound big man in the draft. He knows how to do everything in the post. He can score with his back to the basket or spin to the baseline and throw a soft jumper over the defense. He's relentless on the boards and has unbelievable hands. Not only is he the best passing big man in college basketball, he'll be in the top five in the NBA once he's drafted. His basketball IQ, toughness and leadership qualities make him one of the safest picks in the draft.

All three have their share of weaknesses, as well.

Williams is still young and inexperienced. He came off the bench all season for the Tar Heels and played in a supporting role to Sean May, Raymond Felton and Rashad McCants. He let his nerves get the best of him during North Carolina's run in the Final Four and didn't have the impact you'd think from such a highly rated player. There were few Carmelo Anthony-like shining moments for Williams.

Paul stands barely 6-feet in shoes and has the slight build that has landed other talented, smallish point guards on the injured list once they drive to the basket for the first time in the pros.

Bogut may be fundamentally sound, but he's a very average athlete who will struggle in the up-and-down game. Defense could be a big problem too, especially against active, athletic big men.

So, who will go No. 1? There is no mock draft in the sky that preordains draft order. Despite what GMs like to tell the media, team needs do matter. In situations like these, where there are three highly rated players and no one with a clear-cut advantage over the other two, teams look for fit.

Over the past week, Insider talked to scouts or executives from every team projected to be in the draft lottery to determine what each would do with the No. 1 pick. Some were open, some refused to answer. Here's Insider's take on where each team stands in the Williams vs. Paul vs. Bogut debate.

Atlanta Hawks

BogutOdds of winning the lottery: 25 percent
Sources claim that the front office and ownership are really split on the pick. Their favorite player is Williams. The problem is that the Hawks are overloaded at the three position (they took two, Josh Childress and Josh Smith last year). Meanwhile, they have huge holes to fill at both point guard and center. Smith, in particular, has created enough buzz in Atlanta that the chances of the Hawks' drafting Williams and trading him seem slim. The team is very high on Paul, but isn't sold that he's worthy of the No. 1 pick. Bogut doesn't exactly fit into the uptempo style that Billy Knight is trying to put together. But other voices in the franchise feel that the Hawks shouldn't and can't pass up a chance to bring in a legit center. The plan is to make a run at Samuel Dalembert in free agency, but with Philly claiming that it will match any offer for Dalembert, the Hawks would have to grossly overpay to get him. Bogut would be much, much cheaper.
Edge: Bogut

New Orleans Hornets

WilliamsOdds of winning the lottery: 17.8 percent
The Hornets represent Williams' best shot at becoming the top player selected in the draft. The team already has an all-star caliber center in Jamaal Magloire and likes what it has seen from Dan Dickau and Speedy Claxton at the point. However, the Hornets have a gaping hole to fill at small forward, and Williams would be a fantastic fit. Sources in New Orleans already claim that if Williams is on the board when the Hornets pick, wherever that is, they're taking him.
Edge: Williams

Charlotte Bobcats

PaulOdds of winning the lottery: 17.7 percent
A story leaked over the weekend that Williams, not Paul, was atop the Bobcats' draft board. Insider has a hard time buying it. While Williams is enormously talented and would fill a need at small forward, GM and head coach Bernie Bickerstaff has had a love affair with Paul all year. He's a local kid who has exactly the temperament and skills that Bickerstaff is looking for in a franchise player. The choice between Williams and Paul will be a tough one in Charlotte, but if Bickerstaff is forced to choose, I'd be shocked to see him pass on Paul. If Charlotte does get the No. 1 pick, don't be surprised if it swaps places with the No. 3 team, picks up an extra draft pick and still lands Paul.
Edge: Paul

Utah Jazz
Odds of winning the lottery: 11.9 percent
This is a tough one. Sources claim that the Jazz are very high on Bogut and would lean toward taking him with the No. 1 pick if they get it. The problem is that the team has two major needs, and Bogut fills neither. Utah needs a starting point guard, and Paul is the perfect fit for Jerry Sloan. He's tough, technically sound, doesn't make a lot of mistakes and is one of the smartest players in the draft. The other need is an athletic, shot-blocking big man to back up Mehmet Okur and Carlos Boozer. Bogut is many things, but he doesn't fit either bill. Perhaps the Jazz would draft Bogut, then turn around and trade Okur or Boozer for a top-flight point guard or shot blocker. Neither Okur nor Boozer impressed Sloan or owner Larry Miller much this season. But that's the only scenario in which drafting Bogut over Paul makes much sense.
Edge: Paul

Portland Trail Blazers
Odds of winning the lottery: 8.8 percent
Here's the first team with a clear-cut preference for Bogut. The Blazers' staff thinks that Bogut could be the next Arvydas Sabonis and would love to plug him in the middle. The team feels like Sebastian Telfair is its point guard of the future and it has Darius Miles (for better or for worse) at the three, meaning that neither Paul nor Williams makes a lot of sense. The only real issue with drafting Bogut is combining him on the low block with Zach Randolph. Together, they wouldn't give Portland any athleticism or shot-blocking in the paint. And with the way Joel Przybilla played the last few months of the season, it might be hard to displace him with Bogut. Still, the word we get from Portland is that it is still firmly in the Bogut camp.

Milwaukee Bucks
Odds of winning the lottery: 6.3 percent
Milwaukee is one of the teams that don't gossip much, so this is more of an educated guess than something based on any actual inside knowledge. The team is set at point guard with Mo Williams and the possible return of T.J. Ford. The Bucks could use help at both the three and the five. The Bucks like both Dan Gadzuric and Zaza Pachulia at center, but they are both restricted free agents this summer and will likely command healthy pay raises. Adding Bogut to the mix would give them options in the summer. The Bucks currently use Desmond Mason at the three. With Michael Redd heading to unrestricted free agency this summer, Mason could move to the two if Redd departs, opening up a slot at the three. Williams could be a major fit because of his ability to play the four. There isn't a clear-cut pick for the Bucks, but given their style of play – they'd like to push it up court, especially if Ford is healthy enough to play – Williams looks like the right choice.

Toronto Raptors
Odds of winning the lottery: 3.6 percent
After screwing up the draft last year, this decision would be a hard one for GM Rob Babcock to mess up. The Raptors really need all three. The team really has only Rafael Araujo in the middle, and he's coming along very slowly. Bogut would be a big, big upgrade in the middle; Paul is a big upgrade at the point; and Williams would be a great fit alongside Chris Bosh in the forward position. The team does have Jalen Rose and Mo Peterson, but those two could platoon with Williams for the next year. So who will they pick? Sources claim that the team is leaning strongly toward Bogut. Center is the toughest position to fill, and the Raptors desperately need a guy like Bogut to take some of the heat off Bosh.

New York Knicks
Odds of winning the lottery: 3.5 percent
You never know with Isiah, but the Knicks have a glut of guards and forwards and no legit center on the roster. There will be a temptation to take Williams. He's the type of player Isiah loves. Despite all the praise for second-round pick Trevor Ariza, Williams would be a big upgrade over Ariza or Tim Thomas. The hole in the middle, however, is just too big to ignore, and Bogut would be a great fit.

Golden State Warriors
Odds of winning the lottery: 1.4 percent
The Warriors landed an All-Star caliber point guard at the trade deadline in Baron Davis and they seem comfortable with the Adonal Foyle-Andris Biedrins combo in the middle. But for the past 12 months starting small forward Mike Dunleavy has slowly fallen out of favor with just about everyone in Golden State. Dunleavy still has some trade value left. Williams is a clear upgrade and Bogut is still a good option here (he's better than Foyle and further along than Biedrins). But it looks like Williams would be the guy.

Los Angeles Lakers
Odds of winning the lottery: 1.4 percent
The Lakers are another team that could really use all three players right now. Chucky Atkins had a decent season in LA, but was outspoken to the point that it's unlikely the Lakers will want him back next season. Paul would be a major upgrade anyway. The Lakers do have a number of small forwards, but none is as talented as Williams. But their biggest need is in the middle. Bogut could end up being the second coming of Vlade Divac and would be a very nice fit if the Lakers continue with the triangle offense. Chris Mihm was respectable this year, but Bogut is going to be much better.

Orlando Magic
Odds of winning the lottery: 0.8 percent
The Magic have a number of options here as well, but their biggest need is at center. Kelvin Cato and Tony Battie have been solid, but both are role players who are better suited to coming off the bench. Bogut would be the yin to Dwight Howard's yang. Howard is a long, athletic shot blocker and rebounder with raw offensive skills. Bogut is much more skilled fundamentally and knows how to score around the basket. They would complement each other perfectly in the paint.

Los Angeles Clippers
Odds of winning the lottery: 0.7 percent
For the first time in a while, the Clippers don't have any major holes to fill. Shaun Livingston is their point guard of the future. The combo of Corey Maggette and Bobby Simmons is working well at the three and Chris Kaman seems to be coming along at center. When in doubt, look for the Clippers to go big. Bogut is a different type of center and would give the team some much-needed depth in the middle.

Minnesota Timberwolves
Odds of winning the lottery: 0.6 percent
This is how bad things are going to get for the Timberwolves this summer. After playing in the Western Conference finals one season ago, the Wolves are in desperate need of all three picks this summer. The team wants to dump Sam Cassell, opening up a big hole for Paul at the point. Wally Szczerbiak, who's never quite fit in, wants to be traded, creating space for a guy like Williams. And with Ervin Johnson heading into free-agent oblivion and Michael Olowokandi one year from it, Bogut would give the Wolves some toughness and low-post scoring. Center is probably the most serious need however, which gives a slight edge to Bogut.

OP
OP
B

Brazil

Reaction score
Thanks Dude!! I'm from Brazil and always read the forum!! I don't post a lot because my english sucks!! Thanks again!!

PetryJr

Registered
Reaction score
Brazil said:
Thanks Dude!! I'm from Brazil and always read the forum!! I don't post a lot because my english sucks!! Thanks again!!

Wow! That means I'm not the only Brazilian Suns fan there is!

Welcome! :thumbup:

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
*raises hand*

Another Brazilian Suns fan here :wave:

Born in Sao Paulo but spent most of my life in California

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am also from a foreign land, it is called Iowa. We speak very good English we just do not have all of our fingers for sign language.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
I am also from a foreign land, it is called Iowa. We speak very good English we just do not have all of our fingers for sign language.

I've been to Iowa. That was English you guys speak? :shrug:

Cherokee, Iowa. Don't be drunk on the sidewalk, or you get arrested. Tell me this, how do I get into the taxi without stepping on the sidewalk? :shrug:

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I did not know that there were even taxi's in Cherokee. It is very close to my home town of Pocahontas, insert your snickers here, it was not my choice.

As far as your question could you be more specific, were you passed out on the sidewalk or just intoxicated on the sidewalk.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
No! I mean you walk on the sidewalk to ENTER the bar, then you have to walk on it to LEAVE the bar even if it's to get in a taxi! :) In essence, if you drink in the bar, and then want to leave, you can't! It's physically impossible! :) Weird law!

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In my hometown, it was very easy to just stumble out the back door and end up in the alley.