ESPN Rumor Mill- Finley

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
According to the ESPN rumor mill, the Suns are the only team thus far to express an interest in Michael Finley. It seems likely he'll be making a return to the valley of the sun.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How disappointed would you all be if the Phoenix Suns did not match a maximum offer for JJ ($13 million per season), but they landed Michael Finley for the minimum?

I know that the long-term drop off would be huge. What about next year?

BTW if/when JJ does re-sign I think that means that Michael Finley will not return to Phoenix. There just wouldn't be any room for him to get decent playing time.

Joe Mama

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
How disappointed would you all be if the Phoenix Suns did not match a maximum offer for JJ ($13 million per season), but they landed Michael Finley for the minimum?

If the Suns worked a sign-and-trade with Johnson, landing one of the second-tier centers (Magloire or Dalembert) and some additional compensation*, I would be okay with it. The problem with Finley is that he isn't as fluid or accurate as Johnson, so he's not nearly as able to "step it up" when his team's offense gets bogged down.

*I know that most people will say that it would be foolish to expect "additional compensation" in a Johnson/Magloire-or-Dalembert deal. The thing is, I'm just not that high on either of those players, and I think a near-max contract for either of them will be a substantial overpayment.

BTW if/when JJ does re-sign I think that means that Michael Finley will not return to Phoenix. There just wouldn't be any room for him to get decent playing time.

It looks like that's probably true. The Suns will have to go "skilled" a lot of the time, with Marion at PF, to create enough minutes for the wings. Even if Johnson spends a bunch of his time as the backup PG, there just aren't enough to go around. I suppose they could trade Jackson, but I'm very much against that idea.

I really wonder why they signed Bell if they thought they could get Finley for the minimum. They must be either really high on Bell or really down on Finley. As of right now, the difference between them is not that much on either end of the floor, and Finley is more versatile.

OP
OP
SactownSunsFan

SactownSunsFan

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

I know that the long-term drop off would be huge. What about next year?

Joe Mama

I disagree about the PT. Marion(3,2) JJ(2,1,3) J2(2,3) Bell(2,3,1) Finley(2,3) Nash(1) and Barbosa(1,2). That's seven players for 3 spots. This would only work, however, if Dijon Thompson were either waived or received no playing time. I don't know about you, but I'd rather see Finley on this team rather than Thompson.

(Numbers in parenthesis indicate positions they can play, in order of preference)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
That's seven players for 3 spots.

Which means only about 20 minutes per player. (3 x 48 = 144, 144 / 7 = 20+.) With Johnson, Marion, and Nash all pretty much guaranteed to be in the mid-30s or higher, that leaves awfully slim pickings for the other four. Even removing Barbosa altogether doesn't help that much.

OP
OP
SactownSunsFan

SactownSunsFan

Reaction score
At the very least, if Finley is unhappy with his minutes (theoretically 15-20 per game) we could trade him mid-season to someone who might be desperate for a SG, much like the Nuggets were last season.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SactownSunsFan said:
I disagree about the PT. Marion(3,2) JJ(2,1,3) J2(2,3) Bell(2,3,1) Finley(2,3) Nash(1) and Barbosa(1,2). That's seven players for 3 spots. This would only work, however, if Dijon Thompson were either waived or received no playing time. I don't know about you, but I'd rather see Finley on this team rather than Thompson.

(Numbers in parenthesis indicate positions they can play, in order of preference)

I was even considering that Thompson would get any minutes. Nash is going to play at least 32 minutes per game. Shawn Marion is going to play at least 35 minutes per game, and JJ is going to get at least 36 minutes per game. That would leave 43 minutes between Bell, Jackson, and Barbosa. Frankly I don't even see where Barbosa is going to get any significant time.

Joe Mama

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
At the very least, if Finley is unhappy with his minutes (theoretically 15-20 per game) we could trade him mid-season to someone who might be desperate for a SG, much like the Nuggets were last season.

If that team can't work out a deal with Finley for the minimum this summer, there's no reason to think that he'd agree to play for them after a trade. He still gets paid by the Mavericks no matter what.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about New Orleans, but I really don't think that Philadelphia would be willing to sign and trade Dalembert for JJ (re-signed for the maximum). I think they would rather have Dalembert for the maximum.

Joe Mama

corrado

Registered
Reaction score
If this team signs...

another guard/small forward player I will scream bloody murder. I just can't believe how they continue to ignore the size issue that is squarely on their shoulders.

Look at the darn summer league roster and it's loaded with these type of players.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
but I really don't think that Philadelphia would be willing to sign and trade Dalembert for JJ (re-signed for the maximum). I think they would rather have Dalembert for the maximum.

Certainly possible, but I still think Dalembert is overrated. Franchise centers don't languish on the bench just because the coach doesn't like them.

Kolo

Reaction score
I have ESPN Insider and I didn't see what Sactown posted. Not saying it's not there, but I couldn't find it.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
If the Suns sign Finley, does anyone think that MARION is going to be traded, instead of them not re-signing JJ?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
SactownSunsFan said:

Shawn Marion will never, ever play the 2 spot. Ever.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
corrado said:
another guard/small forward player I will scream bloody murder. I just can't believe how they continue to ignore the size issue that is squarely on their shoulders.

Look at the darn summer league roster and it's loaded with these type of players.

Most summer league rosters are loaded with those types of players.

Everybody, don't fool yourselves, skilled big men don't grow on trees in the NBA.

OP
OP
SactownSunsFan

SactownSunsFan

Reaction score
WastedFate said:
If the Suns sign Finley, does anyone think that MARION is going to be traded, instead of them not re-signing JJ?

who would we trade him for? Nowitski? We could become the Phoenix Mavericks!

Don't mind me, I've been drinking this morining!:beer:

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Playing with Nash again would really elevate Finleys game. He's a good shooter and can be a deadly shooter if he gets spot up shots. He's still very average off the dribble, but I think he's definitely an upgrade over Q.

OP
OP
SactownSunsFan

SactownSunsFan

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Shawn Marion will never, ever play the 2 spot. Ever.

Actually, I believe Marion played some two back in 99 and 2000 when we had Kidd, Uncle Cliffie, Googs and (gulp) Luc Longley.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
SactownSunsFan said:
Actually, I believe Marion played some two back in 99 and 2000 when we had Kidd, Uncle Cliffie, Googs and (gulp) Luc Longley.

That was 5 years ago. With this team, he will never, ever play the 2 spot. Doesn't matter what he did as a rookie.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
SactownSunsFan said:
who would we trade him for? Nowitski? We could become the Phoenix Mavericks!

Don't mind me, I've been drinking this morining!:beer:

Well, I could see the Dalembert deal finally going down, much to the anger of elindholm. ;)

Oh, and just to let everyone know, I am actually against trading Marion for Dalembert + ??? at this time. The Suns did a good job in getting KT. I also love the signing of Bell. Trading Marion now would be overkill though.

OP
OP
SactownSunsFan

SactownSunsFan

Reaction score
elindholm said:

If that team can't work out a deal with Finley for the minimum this summer, there's no reason to think that he'd agree to play for them after a trade. He still gets paid by the Mavericks no matter what.

The difference is that Finley might not want to go to that team. He may want to play for a contender like us. If we did trade him to a team he didn't want to play for, too bad. We still get our end of the deal, even if Fins holds out against going to that team, ala the Houston/New Orleans deal involving JJ2 last season.

Anyway, the trade situation I was refering to would be to a team that loses their starting SG to injury and their backup isn't an adequate starter. Thus they become desperate to find a replacement SG, ala the Nuggets last year. Who knows, they might bite the bullet and give us more than what Finley is worth. It's possible.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
That was 5 years ago. With this team, he will never, ever play the 2 spot. Doesn't matter what he did as a rookie.

I love it when people use the word "never", it is almost a guarantee it will happen.

As you are undoubtedly aware, Walter Davis switched from SF to SG later in his career. The switch worked out fine. The obvious difference of course is that Walter had such a sweet shot. Marion's shot may look funny but it usually goes in the hoop.

Just for the sake of interest, I've often wondered if Marion could be switched to SG for stretches of the game so the Suns could have another good rebounder on the floor. This would have been particulary relevant if the Suns had drafted a talented SF.

Anyway, never say never. :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I love it when people use the word "never", it is almost a guarantee it will happen.

As you are undoubtedly aware, Walter Davis switched from SF to SG later in his career. The switch worked out fine. The obvious difference of course is that Walter had such a sweet shot. Marion's shot may look funny but it usually goes in the hoop.

Just for the sake of interest, I've often wondered if Marion could be switched to SG for stretches of the game so the Suns could have another good rebounder on the floor. This would have been particulary relevant if the Suns had drafted a talented SF.

Anyway, never say never. :)
Never
Never
Never

:)

Ok, how about this: As long as Mike D'Antoni is coach of the Phoenix Suns, Shawn Marion will NEVER play the 2 spot.

Last edited:

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I don't know about New Orleans, but I really don't think that Philadelphia would be willing to sign and trade Dalembert for JJ (re-signed for the maximum). I think they would rather have Dalembert for the maximum.

Joe Mama

Suns will not land a quality C, they will not have a big 3 of Amare, Thomas and Dalembert. etc. It will not happen. I can see them overloaded with Wing guys very easily. It amazes me how off you guys are some times on the Suns board.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
One thing that is rarely mentioned is that the Suns are an injury away from having no bench AT ALL.

If any one of the big 4 go down they will struggle to win. Having a player like Finley in the 8 man rotation would give the Suns insurance in the event of an injury AND help keep injuries from happening by keeping everybody's minutes down.

Part of the Spurs success against the Suns was due to their depth. Over and over the Spurs wore the Suns down in the 4th quarter. The Suns need some QUALITY depth.

When you have 8 quality guys you use the ones that are playing the best or that create the match ups you want. I don't know how many minutes Finley would get playing for the Suns but he could be a vital piece to a championship team.

Another thing.
I can't remember the last time I heard a player say, "I don't want to play for that team because they have too many good players and I might not get enough minutes to satisfy my ego."