Even If They Sign No One Else

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
this has been a solid off-season.

For a franchise with a history of self-destructing even more off the field than on, this has been an amazing off-season. It's not so much that they signed big name players; it's that they started with a real plan and executed it. Much of the credit for at least picking the targets must go to Mr. Green, though you have to give Mr. Graves much credit, as well.

Green laid down the parameters early. They wanted affordable free agents who appeared to be coming into their own. If you read my article on free agent defensive ends, Berry was probably the best fit for that description. Macklin had been one of my favorites since his appearance in the draft. Neither player may turn out to be an all-star, but it is hard to argue that this was money not well spent. Berry has shown much improvement over the last two seasons. Having spent his pre-NFL career as a linebacker, he had to acquire the moves needed to make the transition to defensive end. Many players never do, but Berry looks solid. He may not be "a freak," but he is an impact player. He will take enough heat to likely upgrade the play of everyone on the line. Better line play, in turn, will mean the secondary can be far more effective.

Even before Macklin was signed, an upgraded line figure to make everyone in the secondary a little more aggressive. Macklin furthers the mode of aggression. Don't be fooled by his modest interception numbers. It usually takes a corner three years to blossom in the NFL. Macklin started to show signs last season that he was a force to be reckoned with. When he was in the draft pool, I said he could develop into a top corner and he has done nothing to change that opinion. If he stays healthy, I look for him to post a career high in interceptions this season. He is the type of impact player that can make a game turning play.

King is a decent quarterback who figures to push McCown in the best way possible. King is simply too talented to ignore. If McCown wants to keep his job, he had better play smart football. King is a team player who will not shoot off his mouth about not starting. Instead he will quietly stay prepared. If McCown flubs his opportunity, it wouldn't surprise me if King developed into a solid quarterback.

It may be asking too much, but if this team can sign Dez White, add an impact player in round one of the draft and a solid offensive lineman somewhere along the line, I think they can challenge for a playoff spot.

For a change the Cards have actually filled holes with players who markedly upgraded this team. Make no mistake; this team is on the right track. Of course, remember what Wil Rogers said, "Even if you're on the right track, if you don't keep movin' you'll get run over."

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Agree totally Harry, this offseason so far has been a pleasant suprise, not breaking the bank, but acquiring quality players tailored to a system. Another key is not losing anyone of real value. With a strong draft, and the addition of a starting OL, I think this team has the potential to contend.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry, I always look forward to your posts. Your in-depth analysis gives all of us a better understanding of how to judge the worth of a football player. I feel this off-season has a been a great one also. Knowing that you feel the same way reinforces my belief. I did not want the Cards to sign one or two "big name" free agents and mess up their cap situation. They didn't and as you say, they have improved this team without breaking the bank. We are building for the coming season, but not at the expense of 2005, 2006, etc.

pinnacle

Reaction score
adding an impact player on the oline will be the biggest challenge....we appear to have an opening at right guard (since it appears big is moving to the left side) and we have an offensive tackle (on the right side) who was awful last year...so - we have 3 starters set and 2 question marks.... .

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. I'm mildly pleased with the offseason. I'm changing my avatar back to something a little less alarmist than the Van Gough "Scream" tomorrow.

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Great to hear you feel this way Harry! The last few years you weren't too optimisitc (and it was justified). Although, the Kool-Aid in me didn't want to believe, you turned out to be right in those cases. You usually have some great analysis.

Here's hoping your right on this one too. :thumbup:

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
If we end up signing Rudd though, how are we going to be able to aquire another Guard/Tackle to replace Spikes or Clement...and sign White?

Dez is not as great of a concern to me, but I defintly think it's in our best intrests to replace at least one of the two right linemen.

...and is there anyone left who would even be an upgrade? If not then we might as well just draft someone to back them up and concede mediocrity from them this season.

However if there is someone, then we should seriously consider cutting Clement to make enough cap room to sign them.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Originally posted by CaliforniaCard
If we end up signing Rudd though, how are we going to be able to aquire another Guard/Tackle to replace Spikes or Clement...and sign White?

Dez is not as great of a concern to me, but I defintly think it's in our best intrests to replace at least one of the two right linemen.

...and is there anyone left who would even be an upgrade? If not then we might as well just draft someone to back them up and concede mediocrity from them this season.

However if there is someone, then we should seriously consider cutting Clement to make enough cap room to sign them.

According to Jurecki, even after they sign Rudd (if they do anyways) the Cardinals have $2.5 - 3 million left under the cap.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
You have been right the past two years while I was chugging down the koolaid.

Glad to see you believe the Cards can win this season!

Love your posts!

:raccoon:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look at what we've done, we've signed guys at all the positions at the top of our needs list:

DE
QB
CB

This is great, because now when we go into the draft we have no pressure to draft position in RDs 1 or 2. Instead, we can get the guys Green really wants. Plus, other teams have no clue what we'll draft, although I'm sure they will guess WR at #3. Just the past two years, the whole world knew we were drafting DT in 2002 and that we had to get a WR and DE in the first two rounds last year.

Man, this is refreshing!

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
Harry, as always, your post is right on the money IMO. These signings give us a tremendous advantage as far as flexibility in the draft.

You are the voice of reason (not to be confused with a poster on another cards board).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Night and day from last year's offseason to now - No matter where they go in the draft - I predict this is the best offseason thsi team has ever had. I am very happy with everything from our draft pick, to Dennis Green to our FA signings - absolutley thrilled.

I am starting to think that if Denny can work his magic with another QB that this team actually could contend for a wild-card spot THIS YEAR! Nice moves guys! Nice moves!

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Macklin might

be smallish but he is a faster verion of Barrett and that means NO MORE of Barretts 10 yard cushions and the agonizing long drives that came with it. Berry signing was good and like Macklin the guy is on the rise. Shaun King has skills and is a TEAM PLAYER!

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
Originally posted by Red Dawn
Harry, as always, your post is right on the money IMO. These signings give us a tremendous advantage as far as flexibility in the draft.

You are the voice of reason (not to be confused with a poster on another cards board).

Red Dawn, If you noticed I have had him remove his posts.....Its all Kool-Aid from here on out!!

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
Love your posts Harry.. very well thought out and informed..

I think this offseason has been good for a first with DG. I think this is only the beginning.. with a great draft and this team can start gelling in the mini-camps.. and I agree with previous posts that this team can compete for a wild card this year.. They will be this years verison of the Bengals, but fall just short too.

next offseason will be great.. We will attract better players and up=tiers FA due to the fact the we will have a winning season and the Green and Graves has turned this francise around..
I still would like to bring in Taylor(CB) and Colemen(OG) and see if we can get one of them signed..

now I am looking forward to all the mini-camp reports and reports from the manadtory work our with starts soon..

Go Cards

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry...

in a post a while back I apologized to you for bashing your analysis just before the start of last season. I said I would never ever doubt you again.In fact I e-mailed you with that apology along with a question which you responded.

This posting has got me stoked!!! Your endorsement of this off season is great to see. I was getting pumped immediately after we signed DG but had to temper my enthusiasm until things started to unfold. You see, it's very hard to stay away from the Kool-Aid.
As time went on we learned more about Dg and his plan. We cut Blake. DG calls out some players in the media. Then we sign Berry, King, and Obhffrfswfsjwwf. I said to myself"let's make some Kool-Aid". But I resisted. I needed more assurance. Now comes word we signed Macklin. I figure this is enough to at least wash the Kool-Aid pitcher out and get it ready.

Then Harry, your post. THATS ENOUGH FOR ME! I'M MAKING 2 PITCHERS OF KOOL-AID. ONE RED AND ONE GREEN!!!

Thanks Harry . Greatjob and keep it coming!!!

danny l

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Last year I felt that we just didn't have the talent to compete for a playoff spot. This year we have the horses, we have the coach (although I wish Mac had this talent to work with last year), and we have a legitimate shot at the playoffs withoutr the need of devine intervention. Another off-season like this one and we could be one of the teams in the Superbowl the 1st year in the new stadium. WOW! The 1st year in I don't know how many that we can really be a solid , good team.:thumbup:

Stan C

Veteran
Reaction score
I too, really enjoy your posts, just a fan not a pro.

I am surpirsed you didn't mention what happened the end of last year as well. Someone else posted about tying up Shelton, etc. and I have to totally agree. With the way bonuses are being thrown about this year, we would have lost LJ in true "cardinal" style. Rod does deserve some of the credit as you pointed out. Having out decent UFA's tied up before the end of sthe season was great.

With respect to the remaining salary cap-2.5 to 3 million, how much of this will go to Quan. I know they plan on rewarding him in August (per Jurecki) so that will take at least a million more, and then they usually save some for an injury pool. I'd love to see Taylor as well, but I can't see it happening.

Thanks again Harry.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It's fine to place the post on the other board. I just take a little more care to appease the grammar police before I submit an article. What you see in a post is free-flowing.

As to the end of last season, I agreed with the tactic, in fact I recommended it about 3 months before it happened. I just thought the Cards were too extreme in its application. I would never have saved so much cap money as to bury the team last season. That was not fair to fans paying good money to see the team. I must admit I am not a huge Shelton fan. I think he has the talent, but we'll see if Green can get Shelton to keep his head in the game for every play. Money spent on Gilmore was wasted in my opinion.

I think Boldin would like to see them sign another receiver. What would his numbers be if the other teams couldn't key on him? The Cards can put a roster bonus into his contract for next season that won't count against this year's cap and I think he's enough of a team player to accept that.

By the way, there's not enough money to sign Taylor unless someone restructures and there aren't many people making enough money to have any impact. A couple of cuts might be possible.

As to the offensive line addition, it could easily happen via the draft, though I think guys like Bober are still out there and could do a deal that would fit. A trade for Diem is also possible if they did a long term contract.

Finally, I thought long and hard before I mentioned the playoffs. McCown might not work out. King could experience a long period of adjustment. They may not contend. I am simply saying that for the first time in recent years, they have a team capable of contending. If not, the Cards' brass at least made the effort this season. Do that for three years in a row and contending will become a regular event.

bigredjane

& amp; quot ;Car d s Crazy
Reaction score
Pariah-

Originally posted by Pariah
I agree. I'm mildly pleased with the offseason. I'm changing my avatar back to something a little less alarmist than the Van Gough "Scream" tomorrow.
The Scream was painted by Edvard Munch not Van Gogh. Great old painting! And one that describes frustration well. Good choice!

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Harry

Finally, I thought long and hard before I mentioned the playoffs. McCown might not work out. King could experience a long period of adjustment. They may not contend. I am simply saying that for the first time in recent years, they have a team capable of contending. If not, the Cards' brass at least made the effort this season. Do that for three years in a row and contending will become a regular event.

Harry, I had never seen you use the word "Cardinals" and "Playoffs" in the same post before, so I must admit now I have stars in my eyes!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SeattleCardsFan
Harry, I had never seen you use the word "Cardinals" and "Playoffs" in the same post before, so I must admit now I have stars in my eyes!
Those are stars? I thought they looked more like tiny manhole covers...