EVT: Free Agent Season to Be Busy For Cardinals

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/85040

March 2, 2007
Free agent season to be busy for Cardinals
Darren Urban, Tribune

Free agency has arrived for the Cardinals, and the team, according to coach Ken Whisenhunt, could add anywhere from four to eight new players.

But part of the intrigue for the Cards as they reshape their roster is which of their own free agents they will try to keep.

Arizona has 14 unrestricted free agents, and most will be allowed to walk.

Among those whom the team has at least some interest in retaining are: running back Marcel Shipp, tackle Leonard Davis and linebacker Orlando Huff.

Free agency began late Thursday night. Teams were not allowed to contact the agents for available players until then.

Both Whisenhunt and vice president of football operations Rod Graves have emphasized the desire to bring Shipp back.

Shipp’s agent, Brad Blank, said Thursday he expected to have a “couple conversations” with Graves early in free agency to see if Shipp’s return could work. One potential destination for Shipp likely dried up Thursday when the Detroit Lions traded for Tatum Bell.

The rumor mill also has suggested Shipp, who played at the University of Massachusetts, will get interest from New England. The Patriots are expected to dump veteran Corey Dillon.

While Shipp wants a chance to run the ball more often than he has been able to in Arizona, Blank said Shipp “has no opposition” to coming back to the Cards. Whisenhunt has said he wants another back to take some of the burden off starter Edgerrin James.

Davis told the Tribune two weeks ago he too wouldn’t mind returning to Arizona. But the Cards will not get into a bidding war. Davis’ eventual offers — with many national analysts and NFL scouts wondering about his production levels — may be the biggest unknown of all the potential NFL free agents.

Davis’ agent, Ryan Tollner, did not return a phone message Thursday. But after the Cards said two weeks ago they would not use their franchise-player tag to protect Davis, Tollner acknowledged the Cardinals “were anticipating a contract demand they could not meet.”

Of Arizona’s three restricted free agents, the Cardinals tendered an offer to just one — center Nick Leckey, who as expected received the “second-round” offer of $1.3  million. Leckey is supposed to battle for a starting job and — as Reggie Wells had been last year by a Buffalo offer — was primed to be hijacked by another team if the Cards had used the “low” tender.

Leckey could have been signed away for a sixth-round choice in that case. Instead, a team will have to give up a second-round pick, which is unlikely.

Somewhat surprisingly, the Cards did not tender offers to quarterback John Navarre and center Alex Stepanovich, although neither had shown enough to be worth the “low” tender salary of $850,000.

The Cards expect to spend between $15  million and $20  million in free agency, although Graves told the team Web site that none of the signings will be “flashy.”

Among those free agents the Cards are expected to have interest in include Baltimore fullback Ovie Mughelli, Detroit safety Terrence Holt and Cincinnati tight end Reggie Kelly.

Whisenhunt’s Pittsburgh ties might also lead the Cards to look into former Steelers linebacker Joey Porter, who was cut Thursday.

AzWins23

Reaction score
I just don't understand..if we want to win, then we have to go out and get the best players available on this team. I only like holt from this list.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I just don't understand..if we want to win, then we have to go out and get the best players available on this team. I only like holt from this list.

Kelly is a very good blocking TE and Mughelli as good FB. Both needs. Holt is a good player to battle it out with Francisco at FS. Also a need.

These three along Porter and Stinchcomb and perhaps Nick Harper and a back-up RB would make me an extremely happy camper.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kelly is a very good blocking TE and Mughelli as good FB. Both needs. Holt is a good player to battle it out with Francisco at FS. Also a need.

These three along Porter and Stinchcomb and perhaps Nick Harper and a back-up RB would make me an extremely happy camper.

I think that Kelly, Mughelli and Holt would be good additions. I don't think we will even go after Stinchcomb as he will be gone quickly and at a very high price.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that Kelly, Mughelli and Holt would be good additions. I don't think we will even go after Stinchcomb as he will be gone quickly and at a very high price.

Agreed. If you throw Porter in there, and I think that you have a solid offseason.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Agreed. If you throw Porter in there, and I think that you have a solid offseason.

I am not a fan of Holt, but thats another debate, I will only call that a solid offseason if another 4 good depth/role players are added to that list, one of which being an OT.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This won't be a successful offseason until we get an offensive tackle who can start. We could get Porter and Clements and we wouldn't be successful until we got an OLT.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
By Kerouac9
This won't be a successful offseason until we get an offensive tackle who can start.

Those were my first thought too.

DakotaCardsFan

Making time travel possible
Reaction score
"Somewhat surprisingly, the Cards did not tender offers to quarterback John Navarre and center Alex Stepanovich, although neither had shown enough to be worth the “low” tender salary of $850,000."

If "neither had shown enough to be worth the “low” tender salary of $850,000", than why is it "Somewhat surprising(ly) the Cards did not tender offers to quarterback John Navarre and center Alex Stepanovich"?

:shrug:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If "neither had shown enough to be worth the “low” tender salary of $850,000", than why is it "Somewhat surprising(ly) the Cards did not tender offers to quarterback John Navarre and center Alex Stepanovich"?

:shrug:

b/c a typical cards move would have been to screw up and offer them something they didn't deserve. i suppose that's a small cards victory?

btw, the name of the article should have been:

Free Agent Season Too Busy for Cardinals

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Actually it would be somewhat surpising if they kept Navarre and Step around for any position on the team other than towel boys...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Should we nickname Rod Graves "PFT" with all the crap that he slings. Apparently Graves meant that he was going to be "too busy" for free agency this year as most of his days are booked countnig the money that he is saving.