EVT: Suns hope retooled bench boosts chemistry

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/98830
Some interesting tidbits

Suns hope retooled bench boosts chemistry

Jerry Brown, Tribune

TUCSON - It may seem strange, what with All-Star forward Shawn Marion’s public trade request dominating the landscape during the first week.

But the Suns’ management and players expect this team to be marked by a much more harmonious chemistry than last year.

It’s not like the Suns were fractured. But compared to the previous two Phoenix teams that had reached the Western Conference finals without a hint of discord, last year’s bunch didn’t smile enough through a regular season that saw them win 61 games and reel off the two longest winning streaks in franchise history.

“We need to enjoy the journey,” guard Steve Nash said. “There are a lot of guys whose dog days last the whole year or many years.”

Guard Raja Bell admitted cliques formed inside the Phoenix locker room. Reserves unhappy with not playing formed bonds with rotation players unhappy with their roles to make for a less comfortable karma.

“At times last year, we weren’t the happiest bunch,” Bell said. “Understanding what it kind of did to us as professionals, we should be able to not make that same mistake again. I think we’ve all grown up, that’s part of it, and we’ve tried to clean things up by adding some high-character guys.”

Phoenix’s bench was stocked with veterans used to playing and expecting to play a viable role in Phoenix: Jalen Rose chose the Suns over several other suitors. Jumaine Jones averaged 10 points in Charlotte the year before. Pat Burke was frustrated at being seen as effective as comic relief during timeouts than on the floor during games.

Burke is in camp with Golden State and Jones is with New Jersey — although neither has a guaranteed contract. Rose may be leaning toward broadcasting over basketball.

“Some guys wanted to play more. You can’t blame them,” said Suns coach Mike D’Antoni, who didn’t help matters by sticking to his usual tight playing-time rotation. “I think they rooted for their teammates and they didn’t cause problems. But you can’t fault them for wanting to jump-start their careers or end on a better note.”

Kurt Thomas, also often upset with his role, and James Jones are also gone. In their place the Suns have added veterans like seven-time All-Star Grant Hill and Brian Skinner — two respected, intelligent professionals — to their playing rotation, while hungry, mature rookies Alando Tucker and D.J. Strawberry will join holdovers Marcus Banks, Sean Marks and Eric Piatkowski on the bench.

“It’s great to have new blood. That’s something we needed,” Nash said. “And for us to add a guy like Grant to this core at this point — it’s a big positive.”

New general manager Steve Kerr puts a high price on chemistry and made retooling and restructuring the bench a high priority.

“The end of the bench can set the tone for what happens at the front,” said Kerr, who spent his career coming off the bench on championship teams in Chicago and San Antonio. “If it’s working down there, it tends to have a soothing effect on the starters and what happens team-wide. That’s why I value the bench guys.”

Kerr felt last year’s bench was too old, too cranky, held some questionable character and had too many redundant parts.

“When you have a bunch of veterans who expect to play and several who do the same thing — it’s a formula for chaos,” Kerr said. “I wanted a better mix. I think having rookies around is great for a team’s chemistry and growth, and we lacked that.

“We also needed to be more clearly defined. Our big guys, Sean and Brian, do totally different things and will be used in different situations. Alando and D.J. will be hungry, but they don’t have a resume. They have to take what they can get. I like what we have.”

That doesn’t mean there won’t be dust-ups or players depressed about their situation. But expectations are upbeat.

“Hopefully this year we’ll be back on a more harmonious tune,” Nash said. “We all live in a ‘Yellow Submarine.’ ”

Very interesting to see Raja come out and talk about cliques and bad character. I think its nothing but good to put that out in the open, as I believe it will make them get along better instead of ignoring the 900 pound gorilla in the room.

This article shows a lot of fault in Dantoni. While not playing the bench enough was an obvious shortcoming and a glaring view into his stubbornness, the fact that he couldnt maintain a happy atmosphere while doing it is pretty shameful imo.

Kerr saying redundancy and crankyness was an issue with the bench seemed odd. While I am stoked we landed DJ, I find him nearly identical to banks. Besides, benching players the entire season is the reason they were cranky, so it seems like that too was a jab at dantoni imo.

fordronken

Reaction score
I really like the dynamics on this team a lot, and I like the way Kerr approaches it. He really understands the nuances of what it takes to build a team that could win a championship.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would guess that Jalen Rose had alot to do with this. Rose has been a locker room problem most places he has been. Burke, well, what can I say. He made his own reputation by firing threes at the end of games.

I am surprised that KT was unhappy. Everyone always talked about him as such a character guy.

DAntoni could help some by using a little more bench.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was not aware that KT was unhappy, but I'm not surprised that the rest were.

We can blame D'Antoni, but he was not the one who kept bricking shots like Jumaine nor did he put weights on Rose's ankles.

Adding high energy "character" guys can't do anything but help and hopefull will earn the minutes.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
I'm happy to read that Kerr values rookies. I've always thought they were a big part of the enjoyment of watching basketball, but I didn't know his emphasis on building a happy bench with youngsters. Very good news, indeed.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/1004sunsnotes1005.html

Suns' talent enables versatility

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 4, 2007 09:19 PM
TUCSON - At the midpoint of Suns training camp, any observer would have a hard time seeing a lowlight.

The pressing question among starters is whether guard/forward Grant Hill will be good or great. Forward/center Boris Diaw is playing authoritatively - dunking, blocking shots and dekeing defenders. Guard Marcus Banks is in control and comfortable offensively and can be a defensive menace. Forward/center Brian Skinner quickly is adapting to show he can have an impact.

Phoenix potentially is deeper because of the players who can play multiple positions.
You must be registered for see images

That versatility allows the Suns to switch more on defense, which coach Mike D'Antoni said he likes because it forces opponents to shoot over them. Having a 6-foot-8 wing in Hill reminds D'Antoni of when he had Joe Johnson.

Versatility also can make the Suns hard to scout on offense.

"Hopefully we can get to the point where there's no plays and no positions," D'Antoni said.

This is the kind of stuff I like hearing. The play of those four guys will decide whether the Suns are just another playoff team or whether they can win it all.

Last edited:

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
i like how he wants to get to where there are no plays and no positions. if you can do that, you are playing the ultimate version of run 'n' gun. good to hear

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
The pressing question among starters is whether guard/forward Grant Hill will be good or great. Forward/center Boris Diaw is playing authoritatively - dunking, blocking shots and dekeing defenders. Guard Marcus Banks is in control and comfortable offensively and can be a defensive menace. Forward/center Brian Skinner quickly is adapting to show he can have an impact.
This is too early for me to get into basketball mood as football just started... but the above get me pumped up for the season!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake