Votes: 20 31.7%
  • Much Worse

Votes: 7 11.1%

• Total voters

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, of the 11 defensive starters last year, at least five of them won't be starting opening day 2013. You can get closer to completely dismantling, but but not much.

How about if we had let any 5 of the starters walk that we didn't lose instead, wouldn't that be much, much, much, much closer to completely dismantling? I think we came closer to dismantling that defense by losing Horton than we did by replacing those 5 players - 4 of whom would have been considered our weakest links by many of us.

Steve

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
How about if we had let any 5 of the starters walk that we didn't lose instead, wouldn't that be much, much, much, much closer to completely dismantling? I think we came closer to dismantling that defense by losing Horton than we did by replacing those 5 players - 4 of whom would have been considered our weakest links by many of us.

Steve

Wilson, Rhodes, Washington, and Lenon were our weakest links?

All right, then.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I recall that before Ray Horton became RAY HORTON, he was Whiz's second choice for D-coordinator and as someone who had NEVER run a defence was panned by many in the fan base. Let's see what Bowles can do. He is no less qualified than Horton coming in. (IMO)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

All right, then.

Wow. Seriously? I feel like I've just stepped into a Monty Python episode. I haven't come for an argument and I can see no other reason to throw Washington's name into the mix.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall that before Ray Horton became RAY HORTON, he was Whiz's second choice for D-coordinator and as someone who had NEVER run a defence was panned by many in the fan base. Let's see what Bowles can do. He is no less qualified than Horton coming in. (IMO)

I'd agree with this. I really have no idea how much of our improvement on defense was Horton and how much of it was just player growth. I'm curious to see what Bowles can do with a similar collection of talent but until Todd proves otherwise, I lean towards thinking Horton is our biggest loss defensively.

Steve

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

I think Bowles is qualified.

I just don't think he is half the coordinator that Ray Horton is.

Yet, who cares. Bowles is our guy now, so he has my support.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

He was the third choice behind LeBeau and Butler.

Guess who was the fourth. Believe it or not, it was Bowles.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Thank you for proving my point. This post would have you thinking this was Buddy Ryan and the Bears. Was Horton good yes was he great? No. I understand all of that being tired the frustration at the end all of that but they were horrible against the run from day 1

And no he never got any real consideration for a head coaching job. The defense was good last year, great? No.

Bologna.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

All right, then.

Washington didn't leave...

otherwise, I agree for the most part. Wilson and Lenon were getting old, but they were still big contributors. Rhodes was a very big contributor. Gay was a weaker link. I'd put Rhodes above Scho, Acho, and Williams at least in terms of importance for starters last year that are still here

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Washington didn't leave...

otherwise, I agree for the most part. Wilson and Lenon were getting old, but they were still big contributors. Rhodes was a very big contributor. Gay was a weaker link. I'd put Rhodes above Scho, Acho, and Williams at least in terms of importance for starters last year that are still here

Rhodes was a pretty big loss, everyone else was easily replaceable. It might be a long time before we replace aspects of Wilson but he was no longer anywhere close to the player that once dominated his position. Lenon was decent but nothing special, Gay was a liability. My point was that if you're going to lose several starters or key subs, you could have done much worse. We kept the core of our defense intact, minus Horton. And it remains to be seen how important his loss will be.

Steve

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's not forget the cardinals offered to extend Rhodes. He's not gonna get the money or the years Arizona was offering.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rhodes was a pretty big loss, everyone else was easily replaceable. It might be a long time before we replace aspects of Wilson but he was no longer anywhere close to the player that once dominated his position. Lenon was decent but nothing special, Gay was a liability. My point was that if you're going to lose several starters or key subs, you could have done much worse. We kept the core of our defense intact, minus Horton. And it remains to be seen how important his loss will be.

Steve
but we haven't replaced Wilson or Lenon. It was business, and good business, don't get me wrong. They were costing more than they were worth, I totally get that. (Completely unrelated sidenote: I'm baffled how Graves did the contracts for them to make them cuttable, but didn't for even bigger waste of space, Snyder, and equally unimportant, Colledge). Gay, no problem waiving bye-bye. Rhodes is gonna be an impact though. You're right though, most of the core is still here, though I still consider AW very much core

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Sorry, banky, but it's going to take more than a press release from what is clearly Bowles' agent to convince me that Bowles was "next in line" to Horton in the Cards' DC search two years ago.

Keep in mind that the Cowboys had already said "thanks but no thanks" to Bowles, on the way to hiring a guy who's already been fired.

Dude can't keep a job.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, banky, but it's going to take more than a press release from what is clearly Bowles' agent to convince me that Bowles was "next in line" to Horton in the Cards' DC search two years ago.

Keep in mind that the Cowboys had already said "thanks but no thanks" to Bowles, on the way to hiring a guy who's already been fired.

Dude can't keep a job.

As someone who knows football so well you should remember all the reports that were out there. They said specifically he was #2 to Horton. Good thing for you not all news articles are archived that long, it let you pull the , give a source or I don't believe you line, even though many people on here remember. Of course, you would not admit it since you would have to admit you were wrong.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Between worse and much worse. I expect our defense to be bottom 10 again, 27th or worse actually.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you even read these links? That Sando article basically says that Whis would've preferred anyone on the Pittsburgh staff over Bowles.

Pretty ringing endorsement.

And the link that actually had info was not archived by AZ Central. Now show me your source disputing this. Oh wait, you can't, you are just going to keep saying nothing we have is good enough because you have never been wrong.

So, as much as you want to pretend like it did not happen, Bowles was almost our DC instead of Horton and now he is our DC. He was almost good enough then, but he is trash now because you don't like him for some no actual reason other than he was throw into a bad situation in Philly and was on a staff that was let go in Miami. Great reason logical reason. I think you should be running this team.

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Comparable. Should be improved against the run. Better offense and special teams units should remove some of the pressure. Slightly easier schedule. Safety position is a concern which may be addressed in the draft and of course, Woodson is still out there.