Eye opening oline game review

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
GREAT READ!!! THANKS

These next stats will make you wonder how we ever lost. If you were told these were the stats, who would you have thought won the game?
Interesting stats

First downs
Cards 20 Giants 14

Penalties
Cards 10-53 Giants 7-52

Time of possession
Cards 35:45 Giants 24:15

Total net yards
Cards 318 Giants 275
Total plays
Cards 80 Giants 51

Net yards rushing
Cards 31 Giants 121

Net yards passing
Cards 287 Giants 154

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent atricle, as usual, snakester.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Last season the Cardinals opened forcing THREE turnovers to the Rams NONE.

And the Cards still lost the game.

NFL and other sports cliches do not apply to the Cardinals.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Thank you...

... that was certainly the game I watched and reviewed...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I thought that Elton Brown has been unfairly demonized. Glad to see that that was borne out. We'll see over the next four weeks whether Brown, Wells, or Step are the weak links on the O-line...

Reaction score
Good job, as always, Gary! :thumbup:

It's going to take some time for the OL to be good. But I believe that they will play much better starting Sunday against the Rams. Ross can't be as bad as he played against the Giants. He looked way out of shape, there is not another guy on the team with a gut like he is sportin'... Brown will improve especially with a decent center next to him. Step while not All-Pro is at least an NFL caliber center. Wells is adequate. Davis, well it's all been said before, but he is certainly not a weak link.

Losing Bronson and Hodgins hurts, as the Cardinals really need a TE, H-back, or FB that can block, right now I don't think there is one on the team... Well, maybe Edwards.

The loss to the Giants hurt because it was a winnable game... the way in which the Cardinals lost causes all the hardcore fans to think, "Oh God, not again...

Now we all will get to see the difference in this team vs. previous versions of the Cardinals. Former Arizona Cardinals teams would not recover in a weeks time, thereby getting embarrassed further against the Rams.

I am not into predictions of wins or picking the score, but I will say the this team will come back this week. Against the Rams, the Cardinals are not going to look anything like the team that disinigrated in the 2nd half against the Giants.

I expect a great game on Sunday!!! :newcards:

spanky1

Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I thought that Elton Brown has been unfairly demonized. Glad to see that that was borne out. We'll see over the next four weeks whether Brown, Wells, or Step are the weak links on the O-line...

I agree with this.....Davis and Ross are veterans and while both are overpaid based on performance they are no worse than solid.......not elite, but solid. We can win with them.

If you are prepard to give it four weeks (and I am), let's take a look at the interior of the O-Line, going forward. My guess is, that barring injury, they should be in sync and we should know for sure what we have here. The "ever optimist" in me thinks we'll be pleasantly surprised.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I just hope we have a much better game against the Rams. That first one turned my stomach. We do play alot better at home so hopefully we will be 1-1 after Sunday. :cheers:

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Very thorough analysis and report, Gary! Man, it's great to have you on our side. Thanks!

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
ARZCardinals said:
GREAT READ!!! THANKS

These next stats will make you wonder how we ever lost. If you were told these were the stats, who would you have thought won the game?
Interesting stats

First downs
Cards 20 Giants 14

Penalties
Cards 10-53 Giants 7-52

Time of possession
Cards 35:45 Giants 24:15

Total net yards
Cards 318 Giants 275
Total plays
Cards 80 Giants 51

Net yards rushing
Cards 31 Giants 121

Net yards passing
Cards 287 Giants 154

We won exscept for the most important stat in the NFL. Net yards rushing. Also, you left out turnovers, and I would venture a guess thrid down conversion. We may not have won those statistical battles (haven't looked at them), but it sure felt like it on Sunday.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
We won except for the most important stat in the NFL. Net yards rushing. Also, you left out turnovers, and I would venture a guess thrid down conversion. We may not have won those statistical battles (haven't looked at them), but it sure felt like it on Sunday.

Chris:

More significant than net yards rushing, perhaps, is yards-per-attempt. The Giants won that one, too, 4.8 to 1.5.

The other key missing stat? Total Return Yardage, in which the Giants led 400-to-195. Since 147 of those return yards resulted in 14 points, that's sort of an important piece of the puzzle.

WC

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Ross

spanky1 said:
I agree with this.....Davis and Ross are veterans and while both are overpaid based on performance they are no worse than solid.......not elite, but solid. We can win with them.

If you are prepard to give it four weeks (and I am), let's take a look at the interior of the O-Line, going forward. My guess is, that barring injury, they should be in sync and we should know for sure what we have here. The "ever optimist" in me thinks we'll be pleasantly surprised.

We will win absolutely nothing if Ross keeps getting knocked back into Warner before he can even look upfield. When Strahan knocked him back that far, I would have pulled Ross out. That had to be totally demoralizing. He really didn't block anyone all game.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jay Cardinal said:
We will win absolutely nothing if Ross keeps getting knocked back into Warner before he can even look upfield. When Strahan knocked him back that far, I would have pulled Ross out. That had to be totally demoralizing. He really didn't block anyone all game.

If that were true, Strahan would have set the all-time record for sacks in one game. Heck, he might have broken his own all-time season record.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
If that were true, Strahan would have set the all-time record for sacks in one game. Heck, he might have broken his own all-time season record.

That to be fair is a specific move Strahan uses and Ross was rusty, it looks worse than it is, when he pops you up top and gets you going backward there is literally nothing you can do.

It was all over in a split second and you have to assume that was because of rust.

I was more concerned with his lack of run blocking, since he didn't allow multiple sacks he couldn't have been pass blocking that awfuly.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Your timing is all off Gary. Beer-thirty comes 3 hours BEFORE the game when you are a Cardinals fan. :beer:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
The one problem is that we don't know the line calls, so this is very simplified and perhaps not fair to single out every player, when we don't know the exact calls.

I appreciate the analysis, though. Nice work.