Falling In Love With Options Mock Draft

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I said it on another thread, but Rams General Manager Les Snead was on the Rich Eisen Podcast last week talking about how he tries not to fall in love with players, but likes to fall in love with options available with the “real estate” that he gets in the draft.

That’s resonated with me for a week, and I wanted to put together a mock draft that provided options that I could get excited about. I’m going to bold the option that I’d prefer to take, but I think I’d get pretty amped for all of them.

My rules are that I use The Huddle Report’s Top 200 rankings, then the CBS Sportsline.com rankings for the last couple picks. I don’t predict trades.

Round 1 (7)
Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU
Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

Round 2 (38)
Alex Okafor, DE/OLB, Texas
Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
Eric Reed, S, LSU
Sam Montgomery, DE/OLB, LSU

Round 3 (69)
Corey Lemonier, DE/OLB, Auburn
Kyle Long, OL, Oregon
Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse
Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati

Round 4 (103)
William Gholston, DE, Michigan State
TJ McDonald, S, USC
Kevin Reddick, LB, North Carolina
Maquise Goodwin, WR, Texas

Round 5 (140)
Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida
Gerald Hodges, LB, Penn St
Quenterus Smith, DE/OLB, Western Kentucky
A.J. Klein, LB, Iowa State

Round 6 (174)
Rick Wagner, OT, Wisconsin
Stansly Maponga, DE/OLB, TCU
J.C. Tretter, OG, Cornell
Ryan Griffin, TE, Connecticut

Round 7 (219)
Jake Stonebuner, TE, Ohio State
Matt Stankiewitch, C, Penn State
Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford
Michael Buchanan, DE/OLB, Illinois

RoleyAnderson

Reaction score
I've already discredited your post, since you took two people in your first 2 that are well-known to be classic boom-or-bust...

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I said it on another thread, but Rams General Manager Les Snead was on the Rich Eisen Podcast last week talking about how he tries not to fall in love with players, but likes to fall in love with options available with the “real estate” that he gets in the draft.

That’s resonated with me for a week, and I wanted to put together a mock draft that provided options that I could get excited about. I’m going to bold the option that I’d prefer to take, but I think I’d get pretty amped for all of them.

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about. :thumbup:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I've already discredited your post, since you took two people in your first 2 that are well-known to be classic boom-or-bust...

Must not be too well known because I don't know which two you are talking about and I've been following the draft discussion fairly closely here and on other sites for weeks.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
K9, I'm not saying that your (bold) selections are bad, but with BA being an offensive coach I'm very doubtful that our three offensive picks will be 3, 6 and 7. And if I had to bet that rounds one and two both come from the same side of the ball, I think I'd go "O". And the good news is that come tomorrow morning, we'll have the answer, or part of the answer, in eight days. Can't wait.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I've been looking at TJ McDonald very close too. Has Tim as his father, played here, so we've got that connection. He's got some good skills. He's big and flying a bit under the radar. Did pretty well at the combine.

Got any info on Hodges?