Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Release date: November 16, 2018
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Director: David Yates
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for some sequences of fantasy action)
Screenwriter: J.K. Rowling
Genre: Fantasy, Adventure

Starring: Eddie Redmayne, Katherine Waterston, Dan Fogler, Alison Sudol, Ezra Miller, Zoe Kravitz, Callum Turner, Claudia Kim, William Nadylam, Kevin Guthrie, Carmen Ejogo, Jude Law, Johnny Depp

Plot Summary: “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” is the second of five all new adventures in J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World. At the end of the first film, the powerful Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald (Johnny Depp) was captured by MACUSA (Magical Congress of the United States of America), with the help of Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne). But, making good on his threat, Grindelwald escaped custody and has set about gathering followers, most unsuspecting of his true agenda: to raise pure-blood wizards up to rule over all non-magical beings. In an effort to thwart Grindelwald’s plans, Albus Dumbledore (Jude Law) enlists his former student Newt Scamander, who agrees to help, unaware of the dangers that lie ahead. Lines are drawn as love and loyalty are tested, even among the truest friends and family, in an increasingly divided wizarding world.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boooooooo

Is this a post-viewing review or is it based on the first one or something else?

We're both Potter fans but personally I have no desire to watch it but my wife might talk me into it. Maybe not though as we both thought the first one was at least 2 hours too long.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is this a post-viewing review or is it based on the first one or something else?

We're both Potter fans but personally I have no desire to watch it but my wife might talk me into it. Maybe not though as we both thought the first one was at least 2 hours too long.

Im not a big fan but my wife is a huge fan. We seen it last night and I was disappointed in it. Matter fact I was downright pissed

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not a big fan but my wife is a huge fan. We seen it last night and I was disappointed in it. Matter fact I was downright pissed

Yeah, that would be in keeping with how I felt about the first one. I"m not a very critical viewer, I tend to relax and look for reasons to like a movie. I wasn't able to find things I liked about the first one and prior to seeing it I would have given odds that, at worst, it would have been at least a decent watch.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, that would be in keeping with how I felt about the first one. I"m not a very critical viewer, I tend to relax and look for reasons to like a movie. I wasn't able to find things I liked about the first one and prior to seeing it I would have given odds that, at worst, it would have been at least a decent watch.
Whatever people say, the one thing I've heard about this one that is different from the first is that there are a lot more ties to the original Harry Potter movies.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever people say, the one thing I've heard about this one that is different from the first is that there are a lot more ties to the original Harry Potter movies.

I don't know if that would help us all that much. Knowing when and where it was set, we really didn't expect ties to the original HP movies. I just found it incredibly boring.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't know if that would help us all that much. Knowing when and where it was set, we really didn't expect ties to the original HP movies. I just found it incredibly boring.
I liked it but I too thought it was boring. Mainly because it was hard to put it in context with the rest of the series because it was a) set in America and b) populated by wizards that are already good at magic.

This next one is primarily back in Europe and has more ties to the series so that has a lot going for it. I will never miss a movie in that universe when it comes to ge theater.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well, I enjoyed it more than the first one, that's for sure. Some great callbacks and visiting "familiar" locations...

Definitely a sensory overload, but that's what you'd expect. And yes, the majority of the movie is in Paris.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not seen it yet. It's next on my list. Maybe this weekend. Depends on my kids schedules.

Ragnar

Veteran
Reaction score
Think some of you guys take yourself too serious!

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Introducing a 3rd Dumbledore brother at the end simply wouldn't have been possible, based upon established HP canon. Grindlewald lying about it, maybe, but no brother.

The rest of the movie was basically a hodgepodge of baloney. Good effects was the only good thing I saw.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was meh. Loved the ties to the larger universe but the pacing was off. Also, it was probably a mistake to make all three of these films “Fantastic Beasts” films. They should have centered the stories on the character verses what the character’s “hobby” was. That specific threads seems forced.

Hope the third movie is much better.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
https://comicbook.com/movies/news/j...yuRUQux3p-o0yobDfJJgVzIvqR4KwMO6nbYPmiQjmzMIY

Johnny Depp has "resigned" from the 3rd Fantastic Beasts movie in light of his losing his libel case against a tabloid in Britain for calling him an abuser. Warner Bros. asked him to resign, so it's essentially a firing.

I don't know what to believe--Amber Heard is no angel for sure.

Good opportunity to bring Colin Farrell back.