• Blues?

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1a) Punk (hardcore)- His Hero is Gone, Rorschach, Groundwork, early Agnostic Front, Rites of Spring (original emo), Born Against

1b) Metal (deathmetal, stoner metal, doom metal, thrashmetal) At the Gates, Black Sabbath, High On Fire, Slayer, Metallica (Master of Puppets and earlier.)

2) Other (Genre bending/defying bands) Neurosis and The Mars Volta

Reaction score
For those who love reggae, have you ever heard Jungle, Drum and Bass or Dark Step. Kinda MC driven, but the beats. Oh momma, the beats.

It's a type of electronica that infuses Reggae, R&B, Dancehall and rap. They are by far my favorite type of music. I've always liked a dark sound. Though I do listen to just about everything, even country.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cynical_kitten26 said:
For those who love reggae, have you ever heard Jungle, Drum and Bass or Dark Step. Kinda MC driven, but the beats. Oh momma, the beats.

It's a type of electronica that infuses Reggae, R&B, Dancehall and rap. They are by far my favorite type of music. I've always liked a dark sound. Though I do listen to just about everything, even country.

I'm an electronica guy, but I can't really stomach Jungle or Drum N Bass. I'm definitely a more Downtempo/Breakbeat kinda person. I like order and structure--Jungle and D&B have neither.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I just don't think Punk should have been mixed with other genres in this poll.

I just can't see any corrolation between Iggy Pop, Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks, Undertones, the Ruts, Dead kennedys, Ramones, etc on one side and reggae on the other. :confused:

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I'm an electronica guy, but I can't really stomach Jungle or Drum N Bass. I'm definitely a more Downtempo/Breakbeat kinda person. I like order and structure--Jungle and D&B have neither.

It really depends on the DJ IMO. Krang always gets mad when I say I don't like Trance. However, I will never deny the fact that Paul Oakenfold's Transport album is one of the greatest Electronica albums EVER. And I got to see Armin Van Buren at Coachella a couple of years ago, and though he is a Trance DJ, I was HIGHLY impressed.

There are a couple of D&B DJ's that I have a hard time listening to because their beats are either to repetative or they are to "all-over-the-place". Aphrodite is one of my favorite Jungle/D&B artists, but sometimes his stuff can seem a bit repetative and close to Ambient.

I just got into MC Skibadee who is the feature, rather than the beats. His style is true Jungle where the music goes with the MC rather than the other way around. But Breakbeats are another genre I forgot to include. Do you like House?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I can stand LTJ Bukem and Amon Tobin to an extent, but it gets to be too much at times (their downbeat stuff is really good though).

I think House is more of a generic genre--I prefer trance--but House has some decent stuff--nothing to jump for joy over, though. A lot of it is just repetitive noise.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
I just don't think Punk should have been mixed with other genres in this poll.

I just can't see any corrolation between Iggy Pop, Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks, Undertones, the Ruts, Dead kennedys, Ramones, etc on one side and reggae on the other. :confused:
I agree w/ Stefan!
The neat thing about punk is that a lot of the early bands sounded so different from each other - Black Flag and the Minutemen on the same label, going back in time - the Voidoids, out to Texas for the Big Boys...

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
justAndy said:
I agree w/ Stefan!
The neat thing about punk is that a lot of the early bands sounded so different from each other - Black Flag and the Minutemen on the same label, going back in time - the Voidoids, out to Texas for the Big Boys...

:thumbup:

What really pisses me off that nowdays you have these idiots like Good Charlotte and Blink call themselves "PUNK". Every time I see them or one of those emo kids pretending to be "PUNK" I want to freaking strangle them. :doi: :bang: :slap:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
:thumbup:

What really pisses me off that nowdays you have these idiots like Good Charlotte and Blink call themselves "PUNK". Every time I see them or one of those emo kids pretending to be "PUNK" I want to freaking strangle them. :doi: :bang: :slap:

The Ramones aren't even "true" punk.

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I think House is more of a generic genre--I prefer trance--but House has some decent stuff--nothing to jump for joy over, though. A lot of it is just repetitive noise.

I will agree with you on your feelings about House, except I wouldn't call it generic per se. I have heard many different types and came to the conclusion that I can't stand Detroit House. It's just too busy (I can't think of another way to describe it at the moment). :)

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
The Ramones aren't even "true" punk.
Hmmm...
released "Judy is a Punk" in 1975.
Songs all under 3 min.
No guitar leads.
"Beat on The Brat" and other glue sniffing tunes. "Bonzo goes to Bitburg" if you want politics.
Toured England in '76.
Future members of the Damned, Clas, Pistols in audience.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
So, according to you Good Charlotte is more "punk" than Ramones?

When did I say that? I simply said that Ramones isn't really tried-and-true punk. It's punk with a pop sensibility. I still like the Ramones, but where did I say anything about Good Charlotte? :confused: There's a reason why the Ramones' popularity is so much higher than every other punk band.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
When did I say that? I simply said that Ramones isn't really tried-and-true punk. It's punk with a pop sensibility. I still like the Ramones, but where did I say anything about Good Charlotte? :confused: There's a reason why the Ramones' popularity is so much higher than every other punk band.

I don't know Chap, but when I think "PUNK" I think:
1. Iggy pop
2. Ramones
3. Sex Pistols

Andy already pointed out that they are indeed true "punk."
Ramones were heavily influenced by MC5 and Iggy&the Stooges.
In Europe, Ramones, along with Iggy were the biggest influence for European punk scene, and as Andy pointed out- inspired The Clash, The Damned, Sex Pistols, as well as Buzzcocks. In the States they influenced the X, Dead Kennedys and Bad Brains.

Short songs, stripped down sound with very few, if any, guitar solos, it all sounds like punk to me. Now, I will grant you that they were not as wild and notorious as Iggy, Pistols or even Kennedys, but to say they are not "punk" is simply not true.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
I don't know Chap, but when I think "PUNK" I think:
1. Iggy pop
2. Ramones
3. Sex Pistols

Andy already pointed out that they are indeed true "punk."
Ramones were heavily influenced by MC5 and Iggy&the Stooges.
In Europe, Ramones, along with Iggy were the biggest influence for European punk scene, and as Andy pointed out- inspired The Clash, The Damned, Sex Pistols, as well as Buzzcocks. In the States they influenced the X, Dead Kennedys and Bad Brains.

Short songs, stripped down sound with very few, if any, guitar solos, it all sounds like punk to me. Now, I will grant you that they were not as wild and notorious as Iggy, Pistols or even Kennedys, but to say they are not "punk" is simply not true.

IN YOUR OPINION.

I know several rock musicians in LA, and they are pretty specific in their musical tastes, and while they still like the Ramones, they agree that they are not traditional punk. Your description can fit Green Day and Blink, and we all know they are most definitely NOT punk.

But hey, I said a simple statement of opinion and you come back with saying that I think every band like the Ramones isn't punk, which I don't get.