Federer, Azarenka advance as heat wave arrives (Yahoo Sports)

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Roger Federer kept his cool on a scorching second day at the Australian Open, starting his record 57th consecutive Grand Slam tournament with a 6-4, 6-4, 6-2 victory in his first match with Stefan Edberg as a coach. Federer was the second match on Rod Laver Arena on Tuesday, and the temperature topped 41 Celsius (106 Fahrenheit) during his win over Australian wild-card entry James Duckworth. Two-time defending women's champion Victoria Azarenka played the previous match on the center court at Melbourne Park, and said it felt ''pretty hot, like you're dancing in a frying pan or something like that.'' After her 7-6 (2), 6-2 win over No. 91-ranked Johanna Larsson of Sweden, Azarenka went back out to practice and said she planned an ice bath later as a recovery. He said it was ''great fun'' to finally play in front of childhood hero Edberg, who he hired on a part-time basis last month.0 ''I used to watch his matches and get inspired,'' Federer said, then added: ''He warmed me up .... I won!'' Conscious of the time and the temperature, former No. 1-ranked Caroline Wozniacki and No. 11 Simona Halep raced to straight-sets wins.

More...