Final 53: I think that is about right

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
http://blog.azcardinals.com/2012/08/29/a-guess-at-the-53-2/

Choice #1:
LaRon Byrd, DeMarco Sampson, or an extra lineman. Meaning Byrd or Sampson, and an extra offensive lineman, or both WR's and 8 offensive lineman (Nate Potter to P.S.)

My Opinion:
You keep LaRon Byrd, and Sampson. You have problems at tackle but is Nate Potter THAT good? Is DJ Young still worth keeping around? You keep Bridges, Ohrnberger and Kelemete, IMO. Next year you have Levi Brown, Batiste, and Massie as your tackles on paper. Why keep a OT that never gets on the field?

Choice #2
Alfonso Smith vs. William Powell

My Opinion
Powell is the better all around athlete and football player. On a race on the track Alfonso Smith wins the race but on a football field Powell is a better special teams player, can play more roles on special teams, and has better vision and quickness at RB

Choice #3
Quentin Groves vs. Brandon Williams

My Opinion:
Personally I question keeping Haggans but he is in. After that I would go with Quetin Groves. To me it is a no brainer. Maybe his Madden moxie rating is a 3 or something but while Brandon Williams looks solid, Groves looks like a NFL athlete. Groves is quick, fast, and strong. I think he is worth the small risk with bigger rewards then Williams. Also, like Smith vs. Powell, Groves looks like the better athlete.

Cornerback
Jefferson vs. Adams

My Opinion
Adams lost his spot when Bethel, Powell, Sampson(?), & LSH showed they are just as good or better on special teams. Adams is a good story and will be on an NFL team this year. BUT Adams did NOT show more than Jefferson or Toler this offseason and the fact is Toler and Jefferson have started in the NFL for the Cardinals. You don't cut those players for the sake of M.Adams.

That's it.

Reggie Walker has run away with the final ILB position, so that competition is over IMO

Last edited:

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
I agree with all your remarks. I've been a fan of Byrd and Powell since early in Training Camp. Groves has solidified his position on the team AHEAD of Haggans though. Walker has beasted and definitely stepped up his play.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rugby, I agree with EVERYTHING you said. As to an extra WR versus an extra OL, you go with your best 53, and that's six WR's. FYI, Somers has Adams over Jefferson, while Urban has it the other way.

InfiniteRed

Veteran
Reaction score
notice urban had skelton as 1 and kolb as 2?
Interesting, I guess it would have been interesting if it had Kolb as 1 as well, but less interesting since it has always been that way. Then again Darren probably doesn't know anything extra, I guess that is just his own opinion.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Interesting, I guess it would have been interesting if it had Kolb as 1 as well, but less interesting since it has always been that way. Then again Darren probably doesn't know anything extra, I guess that is just his own opinion.

Alphabetical by name:

John Skelton, Kevin Kolb, Ryan Lindley

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Choice #3
Quentin Groves vs. Brandon Williams

My Opinion:
Personally I question keeping Haggans but he is in. After that I would go with Quetin Groves. To me it is a no brainer. Maybe his Madden moxie rating is a 3 or something but while Brandon Williams looks solid, Groves looks like a NFL athlete. Groves is quick, fast, and strong. I think he is worth the small risk with bigger rewards then Williams. Also, like Smith vs. Powell, Groves looks like the better athlete.

Yeah I think I go with Groves also. He appears to have more upside than Williams.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
This team hasn't been shy about picking up a player or two after roster cuts the past couple of years - Cyril Obiozor two years ago and the CBs Butler and Linsday (I think that was his name) last year.

I wouldn't be at all shocked if they picked up a player or two off of the waiver wire.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This team hasn't been shy about picking up a player or two after roster cuts the past couple of years - Cyril Obiozor two years ago and the CBs Butler and Linsday (I think that was his name) last year.

I wouldn't be at all shocked if they picked up a player or two off of the waiver wire.

But, at #13 the pickings are slim.

Prefer a trade at this point.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
S Skelton or Dray? Or neither?

I think S Skelton has seen more action and made more plays in preseason than Dray.

But the Cards may feel that S Skelton would be easier to slip past waivers onto the PS.

I do think we keep one or the other as an H-Back/backup FB.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score

I think S Skelton has seen more action and made more plays in preseason than Dray.

But the Cards may feel that S Skelton would be easier to slip past waivers onto the PS.

Start JOHN Skelton, line up his brother on the L Side with our questionable LT and tell him to protect his brother...good to go

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

I think its a given the Dray has the job.

If it were my call I would cut Heap for Skelton

Sent from Rugbymuffin's Super Phone

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think its a given the Dray has the job.

If it were my call I would cut Heap for Skelton

Dray adds nothing to the team. He's the Bernard Wilson of the 2010's.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Start JOHN Skelton, line up his brother on the L Side with our questionable LT and tell him to protect his brother...good to go

LOL! Give Steve #64, put him at LT and tell him he is solely responsible for protecting his brother's blindside.

Then again, if there is some serious sibling rivalry going on, he might let a few pass rushers come unabated.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
CBs

Peterson
Gay
Flemming

Toler?
Adams?
Jefferson?

I would put in a claim for Joselio Hanson as a NB, and let Gay and Flamming battle for the #2 CB spot. Then keep Toler.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
CBs

Peterson
Gay
Flemming

Toler?
Adams?
Jefferson?

I would put in a claim for Joselio Hanson as a NB, and let Gay and Flamming battle for the #2 CB spot. Then keep Toler.

Lol.

Good stuff. funny i wanted to know who you wpuld cut for Hanson in the other thread and hete iy is

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I hate typing on phones

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads