Finley decision may come down today

darkangel2050

Reaction score
Finley decision may come down today

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 29, 2005 12:00 AM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Michael Finley was shocked when he was traded from the Suns at age 23. He said he thought they liked him. Nearly nine years later, he knows they do.

The Suns have extolled to Finley how much they love the idea of him playing for them again. Phoenix will hear if the feeling is mutual today or Tuesday, when the swingman, 32, is expected to announce his next career stop. Since being waived by Dallas for luxury tax savings two weeks ago, Finley has become as sought after as a parking spot in the shade.

He narrowed his options to Phoenix, Miami, San Antonio and Minnesota, all of which sent recruiting contingents to see him in Chicago last week.

With Finley aboard, the Suns plunk the sweet shooter into the starting backcourt with good friend Steve Nash and start talking title.

Without him, the expectations do not change much for a Phoenix franchise that can't replace Joe Johnson but has made moves to counter how it lost six of eight games to San Antonio last season.

The Suns' plate is full of wings. Phoenix's Shawn Marion, Jim Jackson, Raja Bell, James Jones, Leandro Barbosa, Boris Diaw and rookie Dijon Thompson all can man one of the wing positions.

The Suns would prefer to keep bringing Jackson, who will be 35 this season, off the bench. Without Finley, that would mean Bell starts as a better defensive matchup against the NBA's dynamic off-guards. However, Jones' upside makes him a potentially influential variable in Phoenix's plans.

The Suns' chances of landing Finley have improved since word first hit that he would be waived under a one-time amnesty waiver, which makes Dallas pay him the $51.8 million due to him without any of it figuring into luxury-tax payments. Some industry insiders outside of Phoenix believed Finley had his mind set on Miami, where he has personal ties and the lure of Shaquille O'Neal and title talk.

The sentimentality of the Suns case took a hit when Finley would not even grant Denver an interview. Finley was close with Nuggets General Manager Kiki Vandeweghe when he was Dallas' director of player development. The snub did not seem to be solely on the grounds of Denver's title hopes because Minnesota, a team that missed last season's playoffs, was granted a meeting.

For Phoenix to overcome Miami, a financial gap would need to be accepted. The Suns, with no salary-cap space, can offer Finley a veteran's minimum contract, which is $1.1 million for his 10 years of NBA experience.

Miami has the $5 million midlevel exception to offer, and he could start for the Heat at small forward if James Posey and Antoine Walker come off the bench.

However, part of Finley's salary will have an offset that will come out of the money Dallas owes him. That leaves the net gap between the coming season's salary offers at $2 million. Finley could get a multiyear deal with Miami. The Suns could sign Finley for one year (with a second-year player option) and use the $5 million midlevel exception on him next summer. Phoenix used most of this year's midlevel exception to sign Bell this summer.

San Antonio and Minnesota each have about $2.5 million of the midlevel exception left.

Finley missed a career-high 18 games last season but played with a painful right ankle because of Dallas' other injuries. He averaged 15.7 points, his lowest in eight years, but shot a career-best 40.7 percent from three-point range. Finley underwent arthroscopic surgery in June to remove bone chips from his right ankle.
[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0829suns0829.html[/font]

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, Phoenix could offer Finley the vet min now, and then go the mid-level next year. Let's say, for comparison, that Finley has a 4 year plan in each city.

Miami
Year/Salary
1-5.1
2-5.5
3-5.9
4-6.3
Total--22.8

Phoenix
1-1.1
2-5.25 (assuming the mle increases a little by next year)
3-5.69
4-6.13
Total--18.17

So the difference in the two deals over 4 years comes out to a little more than a million a year. Hmmm. Can't see that it should make much difference to Finley.

But, did the Suns offer to give him the full mle next year. I don't think its illegal to do that. They will have it available. But, the Carlos Boozer effect is in place. The Suns can offer it, but no one can force them to keep their word. It would be a risk.

After looking at this, I am not so sure that I want them to promise him the mle next year. I think I would rather keep that open for someone else. I'd hate to commit next years best FA bargaining chip right now, especially when we have so many young swing men.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
But, did the Suns offer to give him the full mle next year. I don't think its illegal to do that. They will have it available.
I think it is indeed illegal, but I would not be surprised if such a scenario was verbally discussed (and possibly agreed upon). They cannot however put anything like that in writing.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
But, did the Suns offer to give him the full mle next year. I don't think its illegal to do that. They will have it available. But, the Carlos Boozer effect is in place. The Suns can offer it, but no one can force them to keep their word. It would be a risk.

If the Phoenix Suns "promised" to give him the full mid-level exception next year they would do it. I don't think that would concern Michael Finley much at all.

JCSunsfan said:
After looking at this, I am not so sure that I want them to promise him the mle next year. I think I would rather keep that open for someone else. I'd hate to commit next years best FA bargaining chip right now, especially when we have so many young swing men.

This is what I've been preaching for a while now. If it's going to take a promise of the full mid-level next summer to get Michael Finley in a Phoenix Suns uniform now I say let him go somewhere else. Really I've been more concerned with the Phoenix Suns keeping him from a competitor than what he is actually going to contribute to this team.

Joe Mama

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The thing is, if Finley takes a one-year deal with Phoenix and plays well, he'll get the MLE from someone next summer, whether it's the Suns or not. So it really is only a one-year salary sacrifice, no matter what colors he's wearing in 2006-07.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
elindholm said:
The thing is, if Finley takes a one-year deal with Phoenix and plays well, he'll get the MLE from someone next summer, whether it's the Suns or not. So it really is only a one-year salary sacrifice, no matter what colors he's wearing in 2006-07.

And if he plays poorly next season and after takes Suns' word and gets their MLE next season?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
So, Phoenix could offer Finley the vet min now, and then go the mid-level next year. Let's say, for comparison, that Finley has a 4 year plan in each city.

Miami
Year/Salary
1-5.1
2-5.5
3-5.9
4-6.3
Total--22.8

Phoenix
1-1.1
2-5.25 (assuming the mle increases a little by next year)
3-5.69
4-6.13
Total--18.17

So the difference in the two deals over 4 years comes out to a little more than a million a year. Hmmm. Can't see that it should make much difference to Finley.

Are those numbers really applicable since half goes to Dallas? I thought the difference would be even smaller than that.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
And if he plays poorly next season and after takes Suns' word and gets their MLE next season?

I was wondering about that too. My guess is that the Suns aren't promising him anything, not even with a wink and a nod. They have too much invested in Bell, Jones, and Diaw for a long-term financial commitment to Finley to make sense. If Finley thinks about his priorities for this year only, Phoenix is probaby still in the running, but if he wants to find a team for the rest of his career, the Suns just don't make much sense.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:

I think while we banter about in cyberspace it is easy to lose perspective on how much money we are talking about. I don't care how much money you have: a little over a million a year is A LOT of money.

Most people on this board would give their left one for that kind of money. We should not be so quick to discount the power of the almight dollar when it comes to Finley making his decision.

cly2tw

Reaction score
elindholm said:

I was wondering about that too. My guess is that the Suns aren't promising him anything, not even with a wink and a nod. They have too much invested in Bell, Jones, and Diaw for a long-term financial commitment to Finley to make sense. If Finley thinks about his priorities for this year only, Phoenix is probaby still in the running, but if he wants to find a team for the rest of his career, the Suns just don't make much sense.

It's not necessarily true. If he feels financially safe enough that he could gamble by hooking up with one team a year in persuit of da Ring, and if he believes in his own quality, he might as well want to join the Suns this year. Actually, he might not want to commit to the Heats for more than one year either.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bickley's piece and JC's quote that money would be an issue makes me think it will be Miami. However, Fin has had a weekend to think about it and we don't know how many people he has consulted.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Most people on this board would give their left one for that kind of money.

Yes, but would you give your left one for an additional 1-2% of net worth? It's all relative. Figure out 1-2% of your net worth, and that's what a million dollars looks like to Finley, give or take.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Yes, but would you give your left one for an additional 1-2% of net worth? It's all relative. Figure out 1-2% of your net worth, and that's what a million dollars looks like to Finley, give or take.

I am not Finley's accountant so I can't say for certain, but I doubt that we are talking about only 1-2% of his net worth. Even assuming this somewhat unlikely scenario of Finley getting the vet min this year and getting the exception afterwards, that is still a $4 million difference. It is more likely to be that we offer the vet min and that is it. That is about a $12 million dollar difference. Regardless of Finley's bottom line that is a lot of money.

Add on top of that the fact that Florida has no individual state income tax, that means that he gets to keep a much greater chunk of the $50 million or so owed to him by Dallas.

But too answer your question, I would not give my left one for 1-2% of my net worth. That would be giving up one of my favorite body parts in exchange for a bill for $400 bucks. Darn student loans. . . . .

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Most people on this board would give their left one for that kind of money.

I completly agree with Neo, eric....Its not like he is choosing between playing on Mars and the Suns, Miami is a contender too in a beautiful location (Katrina non withstanding) and a million is ALOT of money to sacrifice.........Relative scale or none.....Remember Sarver has alot more money than Finley and he did complain about making a $10,000 book (at least according to DevilALum) You dont get rich by turning it down or spending it all..................

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Neo said:
I am not Finley's accountant so I can't say for certain, but I doubt that we are talking about only 1-2% of his net worth. .

Finley signed 100 million dollar contract with the Mavs. This was his second deal I believe. He also has gotten a good amount of endorsements.

Assuming his has a business manager that invests his money for him, I think it is very safe to assume that 2 million is about 1-2% of his net worth.

fordronken

Reaction score
What's strange to me is that it's taking him this long. Hopefully he'll come to a decision soon so that all parties involved can move on with their offseason.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Finley signed 100 million dollar contract with the Mavs. This was his second deal I believe. He also has gotten a good amount of endorsements.

Assuming his has a business manager that invests his money for him, I think it is very safe to assume that 2 million is about 1-2% of his net worth.

Thank you.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
fordronken said:
What's strange to me is that it's taking him this long. Hopefully he'll come to a decision soon so that all parties involved can move on with their offseason.

This is his first year enjoying FA. He wants to get the full experience

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Add on top of that the fact that Florida has no individual state income tax, that means that he gets to keep a much greater chunk of the $50 million or so owed to him by Dallas.

For what it's worth, this is probably incorrect. Maybe the rules for NBA players are different, but in general, you are subject to tax in the state where you earned the income, not where you live. Finley is still earning his Dallas salary from Texas, so he'll need to pay Texas income tax on it.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
For what its worth, there is a pretty strong contingent of heat fans that think the Miami may not offer the full MLE to him. Most of the fans are holding out hope that they can get Finley and Jones on a split.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake