Fitzgerald calls out Floyd

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I haven't read through the whole thread but it seems like there is alot of hand-wringing about guys not practicing with Fitz. Why should these guys be on Fitz's schedule? I'm sure they're not sitting around doing nothing. What about the times they were here working out and Fitz was vacationing in India, or wherever he goes? Are they supposed to take vacations only when Fitz does? These guys are professional athletes. As long as they are ready come game 1, I don't care what they do.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Duck I said the same thing over & over the day that play happened & was crucified for it. It was a bad throw by Skelton & I still stick to my guns Doucet couldn't have caught that pass based on where it actually landed...way behind to his left & long.

Flame me again http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/the-doucet-fall-174250.html?highlight=doucet

You two are out of your minds. He did a 180 and started back pedaling at the 10! If he runs the route like, oh I dont know, and 2nd year pop warner player, he's right where he needs to be to make the catch. He's on the ground, helmet in hand, essentially before the ball even goes over his head. In no way can someone say thats a bad throw.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You two are out of your minds. He did a 180 and started back pedaling at the 10! If he runs the route like, oh I dont know, and 2nd year pop warner player, he's right where he needs to be to make the catch. He's on the ground, helmet in hand, essentially before the ball even goes over his head. In no way can someone say thats a bad throw.

I'm not talking about Doucet running the wrong route or running the route incorrectly. I'm talking about that once the ball was thrown Early had no chance to get to it so his falling down didn't ruin the play. I disagree with Bucky that it was a bad throw. Skelton did the best he could under the circumstances which was having a 6'6" 290lb DE in his face a second after the ball is snapped. (Snap was at 1:17 DE is on Skelon at 1:16)

Skelton because of the OLine screw up had no choice but to heave the ball towards the end zone since it was 4th down. A sack and the game is over. Once the ball was thrown where it was Early had no chance to get to it from the position he was in even if he doesn't fall down.

That play is on Bridges or the Oline call not Doucet. All the Cards have to do is block the Cincy LDE, not a blitzing LB or DB by the way, and the game is tied.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't read through the whole thread but it seems like there is alot of hand-wringing about guys not practicing with Fitz. Why should these guys be on Fitz's schedule? I'm sure they're not sitting around doing nothing. What about the times they were here working out and Fitz was vacationing in India, or wherever he goes? Are they supposed to take vacations only when Fitz does? These guys are professional athletes. As long as they are ready come game 1, I don't care what they do.

That's not my complaint, my complaint is if a guy commits to being there, and then doesn't show. Admittedly we don't know why Floyd missed 3 workouts in a row but clearly Fitz didn't seem to think he had a valid reason.

It's a commitment thing if you say you're going to be there, be there.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we're talking about a play where both guys had to instantly guess what the other was goign to do. Skelton has to guess if Early runs the route or breaks it off, Early has to guess is he going to lead me or throw directly to where I am. Split second longer(like we blocked the guy) and it's an easy TD but the way it happened I can't fault either player.

It looked bad that Early fell but he was clearly turning thinking break off the route so Skelton doesn't have to throw it as far, so when he realizes where the ball is he slips.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm not talking about Doucet running the wrong route or running the route incorrectly. I'm talking about that once the ball was thrown Early had no chance to get to it so his falling down didn't ruin the play. I disagree with Bucky that it was a bad throw. Skelton did the best he could under the circumstances which was having a 6'6" 290lb DE in his face a second after the ball is snapped. (Snap was at 1:17 DE is on Skelon at 1:16)

Skelton because of the OLine screw up had no choice but to heave the ball towards the end zone since it was 4th down. A sack and the game is over. Once the ball was thrown where it was Early had no chance to get to it from the position he was in even if he doesn't fall down.

That play is on Bridges or the Oline call not Doucet. All the Cards have to do is block the Cincy LDE, not a blitzing LB or DB by the way, and the game is tied.

After the one billionth (and still painful) view of the replay, I think you have correct assessment here. Totally on the OL and specifically JB. Doucet, rightfully turned around to show to make the catch, and Skelton rightfully threw the ball quickly.

The problem is that they (Skelton and Doucet) weren't 100% on the same page. No one knows whether Doucet cut off his route too early or Skelton threw the ball too far. What we do know is that Skelton literally had 2 seconds to throw the ball. That's unsat.

It was ridiculous that so many on this board were calling for Doucet to go after that play. He's a quality NFL receiver, and to lose a quality player (especially an affordable one) is a sin in the NFL unless you have someone equal to or greater.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The problem is that they (Skelton and Doucet) weren't 100% on the same page. No one knows whether Doucet cut off his route too early or Skelton threw the ball too far. What we do know is that Skelton literally had 2 seconds to throw the ball. That's unsat.

These issues would have been resolved early had they both attended Fitz camp. :D

Just messin yas. ;)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
A part of my issue with fans on this board is that the were mercilessly attacking Doucet and Roberts for not being more productive, and yet I saw them open A LOT and Skelton/Kolb NOT getting them the ball.

If we had a solid QB, our passing game would explode. Fitzgerald, Roberts, Doucet, Floyd, Housler, Heap, and King are a lot of weapons, probably the most weapons I've seen since the I've watched the team (almost 20 years now). Kurt Warner would've put up Rodgers-like numbers with this group.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
A part of my issue with fans on this board is that the were mercilessly attacking Doucet and Roberts for not being more productive, and yet I saw them open A LOT and Skelton/Kolb NOT getting them the ball.

If we had a solid QB, our passing game would explode. Fitzgerald, Roberts, Doucet, Floyd, Housler, Heap, and King are a lot of weapons, probably the most weapons I've seen since the I've watched the team (almost 20 years now). Kurt Warner would've put up Rodgers-like numbers with this group.

So you are saying that Fitz, Roberts, Floyd, Heap, King and Doucet are as good as Fitz, Boldin, Breaston, (3 guys with 1000 yard seasons) Hightower (97 receptions with Warner) and Doucet? And that Warner would actually utilize the TE?

I just can't go along with that. And I don't really think Doucet or Roberts strike fear into the hearts of DC's across the league either. They're ok just nothing special. We'll see how Floyd compares and that should tell us where the other two really are.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Agreed. I'm not sure if Roberts and Doucet are good, but I havnt seen evidence they bad yet either. They both have shown an ability to break plays, neither seems to have bad hands. But unless they are just clueless at route running (and I havnt heard that claim) then our QBs are more to blame than anyone else for their lack of production.

But I wouldnt necessarily call them better than our 09 receiving group.

Last edited:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think our 3 guys with 1000 yard receiving may be over-rated. Breaston never did anything after having Warner throw to him. Don't care about injuries, he's simply not a 1000 yard receiver. And Boldin will always be badass, but he wasn't the same after leaving here either. He's getting up there in years and they don't throw to him alot in Baltimore, but he's not the stud he was here.

If you have a great QB he can turn those guys into monsters. Kind of agree with Phrazbit in a way. I mean, with a great QB throwing to them who knows how good Doucet/Roberts can be. A great QB will accentuate their attributes and shore up their weaknesses. We just don't have anyone able to do that.

(Edit: You look at both Breaston and Boldin's stats after leaving the Cards, and Breaston dropped about 300 yards a year, Boldin about 200)

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think our 3 guys with 1000 yard receiving may be over-rated. Breaston never did anything after having Warner throw to him. Don't care about injuries, he's simply not a 1000 yard receiver. And Boldin will always be badass, but he wasn't the same after leaving here either. He's getting up there in years and they don't throw to him alot in Baltimore, but he's not the stud he was here.

If you have a great QB he can turn those guys into monsters. Kind of agree with Phrazbit in a way. I mean, with a great QB throwing to them who knows how good Doucet/Roberts can be. A great QB will accentuate their attributes and shore up their weaknesses. We just don't have anyone able to do that.

(Edit: You look at both Breaston and Boldin's stats after leaving the Cards, and Breaston dropped about 300 yards a year, Boldin about 200)

You can't compare Boldin now to the Q that played in Arizona. Remember Anquan had 101 receptions for 1377 yards and 8 TDs with Josh McCown and Leon Blake throwing to him. As a Rookie! No way he could ever be overrated. Even now he beat us almost single handed last season and was 8 for 132 vs Houston which had the #3 pass defense last season. He's also been the Ravens leading receiver both seasons he's been in Baltimore.

Breaston was just the same with Tyler Palko and Kyle Orton throwing to him as Matt Cassell. Other than his rookie year his worst season in the NFL is as good as Doucet and Roberts best. He's gone over 700 yards receiving four years in a row. He dropped 300 yards from 2008 to 2009 not after he left. He actually had more yards in 2011 with Palko and Orton playing 7 games than he did with Warner in 2009.

It is impossible for Larry Fitzgerald to be overrated.

I just don't buy the needing a great QB to make receivers great because we've seen several Cardinal receivers put up huge numbers with average or worse QBs. Rob Moore, David Boston, Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald.

Or maybe I'm wrong and that's just a Cardinal thing. :D

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Chopper, you mean you don't like when the "Cokemaker" goes into one of his cocaine indused yelling rages on air on the NFL Network? ;)

Make it rain.

That wasn't baby powder he was putting on his hands to help him catch the ball.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
After the one billionth (and still painful) view of the replay, I think you have correct assessment here. Totally on the OL and specifically JB. Doucet, rightfully turned around to show to make the catch, and Skelton rightfully threw the ball quickly.

It was ridiculous that so many on this board were calling for Doucet to go after that play. He's a quality NFL receiver, and to lose a quality player (especially an affordable one) is a sin in the NFL unless you have someone equal to or greater.

He is a NFL wide receiver, but hardly a quality player. He is replaceable up to this point with very few years left to prove he can be more than that. He is finally in a role that suits him this year as a #4 once Floyd catches on, so we can just hope he makes the most of the opportunities he has.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05