I beleive he was Wadsworth's agent.

I think he is in the top five of "bad chemistry" with the Bidwills

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
cardsfan473 said:
I guess he picked Eugene Parker.....
Haven't we had negotiation issues with this guy before? :rolleyes:

I think we've had negotiation troubles with every agent before.

Rosenhaus seems to work out well for us, draft Sean Taylor.

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Eugene Parker is also the agent for Emmitt Smith.

I personally do not want another WR with our 1st round choice. I actually would probably draft Gallery if available or Sean Taylor.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
DieHardFromMO said:
Eugene Parker is also the agent for Emmitt Smith.

I personally do not want another WR with our 1st round choice. I actually would probably draft Gallery if available or Sean Taylor.

Parker and Barnes used to be partners, I believe. I'm not sure if they are anymore. They did cause a lot of grief for the Cards, as well as other teams, but again I don't remember if it was both or just one or the other.

The guy who always dealt best with the Cards was Jake's old agent. Brain fart here...can't remember his name off the top of my head.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Again this agent talk is LUDICROUS what agent hasn't had issues. If you worry about who a player's agent is you are dooming your team to mediocrity!

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Eugene Parker was a good jump-shooter when he was at Purdue in the '70s...he played on a very talented Fred Schaus-coached team for the Boilers - Walter Jordan, Wayne Walls, Joe Barry Carroll, Jerry Sichting...

I loved those days...

(sniff)

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:
Parker and Barnes used to be partners, I believe. I'm not sure if they are anymore. They did cause a lot of grief for the Cards, as well as other teams, but again I don't remember if it was both or just one or the other.

The guy who always dealt best with the Cards was Jake's old agent. Brain fart here...can't remember his name off the top of my head.

Leigh Steinberg was Jake's agent when he signed the big contract in 1998.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
DieHardFromMO said:
Leigh Steinberg was Jake's agent when he signed the big contract in 1998.

That's the one. For some reason I just couldn't think of his name.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:

Of course he dealt well with the Cardinals once the Bidwills offered Jake that enormous contract!

Hell it was all Steinbergh could do to keep from laughing in the negotiations. :D However, Steinbergh wrote a book a few years back and it is almost a whole chapter dedicated to his clashes with the Bidwill family. They didint get along at all.

As far as the agents themselves. Have any of you ever asked your self what is the common thread in the trouble the Cardinals and agents is? Now that the Bidwills have changed their business model somewhat, I cant imagine them having nearly the same issues as in the past.

I am not blaming it all on the Cards, but lets face it, agents knew when their clients got drafted by the Cards they were gonna earn their commision.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I certainly can't argue with most of what you said LV.

As much of a supporter of Bidwill's as I have been, it still amazes me how that whole Jake scenario went down...and I have to agree, Steinbergh had to be laughing long and hard on that deal.

The point I was trying to make in regard to him, is that unlike most agents Steinbergh usually did seem to try to negotiate a win/win deal between the players he represented and the Team. Most of the agents care about 1 thing and 1 thing only....how much can they extort from the team so their cut will be maximized.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
DG did not have hold outs in MIN.

Whats your point? DG is not in charge of contract negotiations here. Dude check yourself ok, this is the Cardinals not the Vikings. Billy is still in charge.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
DG did not have hold outs in MIN.

Here's exactly why I, and it appears a lot of others too, have learned to take what you say with a HUGE grain of salt.

On one hand you tell us how wonderful Green is/was and blame his shortcomings on McCombs "cheapness" and lack of spending.

Then you turn around and post how DG never had any hold outs.

Something just isn't adding up here. :trout:

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:
I certainly can't argue with most of what you said LV.

As much of a supporter of Bidwill's as I have been, it still amazes me how that whole Jake scenario went down...and I have to agree, Steinbergh had to be laughing long and hard on that deal.

The point I was trying to make in regard to him, is that unlike most agents Steinbergh usually did seem to try to negotiate a win/win deal between the players he represented and the Team. Most of the agents care about 1 thing and 1 thing only....how much can they extort from the team so their cut will be maximized.

I cant really comment Tango on how he is as an agent. You could very well be right. For along time he was the 'super' agent but has since been (it seems) relegated to a lower status among the agent community.

But check out his book, I dont remember the name of it, but he goes on and on about his contract fueds with the Bidwills and the Cards org. Its quite interesting. You get the impression he respected Bidwill but that Bidwill's business ideas were, shall I say, "Outdated"

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:
Here's exactly why I, and it appears a lot of others too, have learned to take what you say with a HUGE grain of salt.

On one hand you tell us how wonderful Green is/was and blame his shortcomings on McCombs "cheapness" and lack of spending.

Then you turn around and post how DG never had any hold outs.

Something just isn't adding up here. :trout:

No you misunderstand Red did not go cheap while DG was there. He only went cheap when he decided to sell the team at that point he informed DG of what he was planning (no quality FAs, stripping the front office down, no quality coaches) DG resigned!

The holdout occured after DG resigned and Red went with his Thrift Plan.

See it all makes sense. You can trust what I say.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think a lot of Steinbergh's "demise" as top dog was the result of some of his "assistants", deciding they wanted to go off on their own and took a bunch of clients with them.

This was all 2-3 years ago, and I don't remember who "they" were. Could Rosenhaus have been one of them? I don't remember now, but there was a big legal furor over the whole deal..with Steinbergh eventually filing a lawsuit...which still may have some ramifications remaining.

Anyway...it hurt Steinbergh's business I'm sure. He's never had the same success/stature since.