Fitzgerald on Hail Mary passes

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Found this interesting. I like seeing what special things some teams do regularly in practice.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3837516

Complete a hail mary, by Larry Fitzgerald
"Most people think you just throw the ball up to the end zone and somebody tries to make a play, but it's actually something we run every Friday in practice. You have a guy in the middle who's the jumper. If it's me, I get a running start so I can get as high as possible. If the jumper can't catch it, he tips it to one of four other receivers who've made a box around him."

The ~2003 Eagles D used to practice stripping the ball every day in practice and it paid off in games. Then they got away from it. I haven't seen them trying this hard for strips in years since the last few games - especially last week against the Giants.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found this interesting. I like seeing what special things some teams do regularly in practice.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3837516

Complete a hail mary, by Larry Fitzgerald
"Most people think you just throw the ball up to the end zone and somebody tries to make a play, but it's actually something we run every Friday in practice. You have a guy in the middle who's the jumper. If it's me, I get a running start so I can get as high as possible. If the jumper can't catch it, he tips it to one of four other receivers who've made a box around him."

The ~2003 Eagles D used to practice stripping the ball every day in practice and it paid off in games. Then they got away from it. I haven't seen them trying this hard for strips in years since the last few games - especially last week against the Giants.

Glad they practice that type of hailmary. It's what I would do. The hailmary attempts that we have needed to try have been caught by Larry anyway.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Glad they practice that type of hailmary. It's what I would do. The hailmary attempts that we have needed to try have been caught by Larry anyway.

After this year, they are going to rename that pass the "Hail Larry"!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05