Fitzgerald Spurns Img

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Source Profootballtalk

A league source tells us that Pitt receiver Larry Fitzgerald will not be signing with mega-firm IMG, and that Fitzgerald has narrowed the field to James "Bus" Cook and Eugene Parker.

Per the source, Fitzgerald backed off of IMG because lead agent Tom Condon couldn't persuade Fitzgerald that he would or could work as hard to position him as the No. 1 overall pick, given Condon's efforts to get Mississippi quarterback Eli Manning drafted first in this month's draft.

With Condon spending so much time working the Giants to trade up with the Chargers for the No. 1 pick so that they can choose Manning, Fitzgerald's camp perceived a clear conflict of interest, since Fitzgerald wants to see the Cardinals move up to No. 1.

And, in theory, such a move would be plausible, since the Raiders need a receiver and since Fitzgerald is clearly the best of the bunch.

OUR OWN TOP TEN
While we're on the topic of Fitzgerald, our thinking is that Fitzgerald should be the No. 1 overall pick since he's not only the best receiver but he's the best all around player in the draft pool. We believe that the first round of the draft -- and specifically the top ten -- never should be utilized as a tool for drafting for need. Instead, teams who hold one of the top-end picks should take the best guy on the board, searching ideally for a freak of nature who will make a huge impact by his second season, at the latest.
And the top ten players, as we see it, are as follows:
1. Larry Fitzgerald.
2. Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa.
3. Sean Taylor, S, Miami.
4. Kellen Winslow, TE, Miami.
5. Roy Williams, WR, Texas.
6. Eli Manning, QB, San Diego.
7. Will Smith, DE, Ohio State.
8. Steven Jackson, RB, Oregon State.
9. DeAngelo Hall, CB, Virginia Tech.
10. Tommie Harris, DT, Oklahoma.

So if we held a spot in the top ten, we'd take the highest remaining guy on this list. Period. Regardless of need. If, however, we already were set at quarterback with, for example, a guy who has a long-term deal, we'd either skip over the guy or trade down.
Fitzgerald's camp perceived a clear conflict of interest, since Fitzgerald wants to see the Cardinals move up to No. 1.

Wow, a top draft prospect that actually wants to play for the Cards......

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh god....NOT Eugene Parker...

If he signs with Parker...pass on him. Parker loves screwing over the Cardinals.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
Oh god....NOT Eugene Parker...

If he signs with Parker...pass on him. Parker loves screwing over the Cardinals.

I never have gotten this arguement.

I think you are half kidding, but why would you pass on a player based on who his agent is? Parker and the Cards have gone at it before, but frankly, the Cards and almost every agent have gone 'at it' at sometime or another.

The Cards are supposedly mending the way they do business, so Parker or any other agent shouldnt matter when drafting!

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
What I take away from this information, is that Fitz is SURE the Cardinals would be the first team to take him, and he wants us to pay #1 money instead of #3 money.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I thought it was Roosevelt Barnes that the Cardinals always had trouble with

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We used to call him Eugene Pecker. He is one of the big hold out guys. I believe Parker was Wadsworthless' agent.

And yes I think when you have several guys of equal talent, you look at their agents in the terms of how likely it is you will get the guy in camp and on time. Right now there are several players I will be happy with at #3. Fitzgerald is one of them...but when all things are equal...anything can tip the scales.

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I read somewhere that he's expected to choose James "Bus" Cook as his agent, so this bashing of Parker and/or Barnes is hopefully irrelevant....

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Lex said:
What I take away from this information, is that Fitz is SURE the Cardinals would be the first team to take him, and he wants us to pay #1 money instead of #3 money.

This is a joke right?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Lex said:

i think people are getting bored or something because there is a lot of poeple reading way to much into what is said in articles quotes lately..

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
No joke LV-

Read the quote, Fitz is dumping IMG because IMG is trying to negotiate a move up to #1 with the Giants so they can take Manning at #1.

Fitz sees a conflict of interest because he would like IMG to be negotiating with US to move up to #1 to select HIM.

Fitzgerald wouldn't believe that Tom Condon could work hard enough to position HIM as the #1 overall draft pick, given Condon's efforts to position Manning as the #1 overall pick.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Lex said:
No joke LV-

Read the quote, Fitz is dumping IMG because IMG is trying to negotiate a move up to #1 with the Giants so they can take Manning at #1.

Fitz sees a conflict of interest because he would like IMG to be negotiating with US to move up to #1 to select HIM.

Fitzgerald wouldn't believe that Tom Condon could work hard enough to position HIM as the #1 overall draft pick, given Condon's efforts to position Manning as the #1 overall pick.

I agree with what he said and your above post. He thinks he can be the #1 overall pick so thats what he wants -good for him!

But that isnt what you said in your first post. (Or at least that isnt what I understood you saying)

It sounded like you said that he wanted the Cards to still draft him at #3 yet he will insist on them paying him as if he were the #1 overall pick. If thats what you said or implied, I think your way off base.

But Fitz is correct. It is a conflict of interest if he believes he could very well be chosen #1 overall (which there is good reason to beleive he can) yet IMG is already selling Manning as #1 overall. Thats a conflict of interest!

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
LV-

It couldn't be a conflict of interest since Fitz hasn't even signed with an agent yet. How can he blame Manning's agent for trying to do a good job for his client?

"Fitzgerald wants to see the Cardinals move up to #1."

...so we would take Fitz with the #1 pick instead of the #3 pick.

I think the whole thought process is flawed. It's as if the player thinks agents control which team picks where, and can somehow talk teams into moving around on the draft board. If the Cardinals really wanted to be sure they could draft Fitz, they would be calling San Diego. If the Cardinals are comfortable enough that he'll still be there at #3, no amount of salesmanship by an agent will convince them that they should move up.

What I said in my first post, (since Fitz wants the Cards to move up to #1) is that Fitz feels the Cards will be the first team to take him, and he'd like us to take him #1 overall.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Lex said:
LV-

It couldn't be a conflict of interest since Fitz hasn't even signed with an agent yet. How can he blame Manning's agent for trying to do a good job for his client?

"Fitzgerald wants to see the Cardinals move up to #1."

...so we would take Fitz with the #1 pick instead of the #3 pick.

I think the whole thought process is flawed. It's as if the player thinks agents control which team picks where, and can somehow talk teams into moving around on the draft board. If the Cardinals really wanted to be sure they could draft Fitz, they would be calling San Diego. If the Cardinals are comfortable enough that he'll still be there at #3, no amount of salesmanship by an agent will convince them that they should move up.

What I said in my first post, (since Fitz wants the Cards to move up to #1) is that Fitz feels the Cards will be the first team to take him, and he'd like us to take him #1 overall.

I see it different.

First agents do have some impact on selling their clients to teams as the #1 overall. If IMG tells the Giants "hey if you move up to grab our client at #1 we will agree to the following terms XXX dollars for XXX amount of years" It happens all the time. If the Giants think they wont have any roblems signing Eli that might be the extra incentive to move up!

Second, I think Fitz (and of ourse this is as much speculation as your theory) wants to play in AZ with DG and knows the Cards want him. He also thinks that at #3 he will be gone, which is very likely. What he would like to happen is for his agent to sell the Cards on moving up to #1 overall so he can be assured he will be drafted by the Cards. I dont think it has anything to do with wanting more money!

I dont blame Manning agents for trying to do a good job for his client, just as Fitz should be with an agent that is trying to do the best for him. If IMG is activley talking with the Giants about Manning and the #1 overall, how would IMG be helping Fitz? They wouldnt. It would then become a conflict of interest and that, it appears, is what Fitz is tryign to avoid.

I think your reading too much into this.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Surprise Pick?SDBoltReport.com - SDBoltReport.com
April 13, 2004 at 3:03pm ET

Could the San Diego Chargers throw everyone for a loop when they choose first (for now) in the 2004 NFL Draft? Interesting development over the last week have left some people wondering just what the Bolts will do at the top of the first round.

WR Larry Fitzgerald was in town -- and made it clear he would like to stay.

That might not happen, especially if the Chargers stay put with their No. 1 pick. While Fitzgerald is a heck of a talent, some think snagging him first overall would be a mistake.

But Fitzgerald, the ex-Pittsburgh star, was effusive in his praise for the Chargers, and the opportunity to play for receivers coach James Lofton .

"I was a big Buffalo Bills fan when he was playing there," Fitzgerald said.

And the Chargers could end up with the potential impact receiver if they scoot down a spot or two. The team certainly has a need at that position, after dumping David Boston . The receiving corps he left behind isn't much -- Reche Caldwell (a second-round bust) and the undersized and injury-prone tandem of Tim Dwight and Eric Parker . The only player with promise is Kevin Dyson , but even he is coming off an injury plagued season in '03.

The Chargers would like to have something to balance running back LaDainian Tomlinson . That was the plan when they signed Boston last offseason. But his attitude wasn't worth his production, so he moved on.

Now, what will be the Chargers' move? Do they stay put at No. 1 and possibly get Mississippi quarterback Eli Manning ? Or go for more picks by trading down? Tough to say. But what isn't a mystery is teams will start calling about that top pick. The Giants have already checked in, and Chargers general manager A.J. Smith will continue to take calls as draft day draws near.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
What he would like to happen is for his agent to sell the Cards on moving up to #1 overall so he can be assured he will be drafted by the Cards. I dont think it has anything to do with wanting more money!

:biglaugh:

You've got to be kidding. It's all about the $$$.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
A wide receiver has been selected #1 overall twice since 1982. Irving Fryer, and Keyshawn Johnson.

The Chargers are supposed to be making a decision 10 days before the draft, to allow a contract to be finalized by draft day for the #1 overall, no matter who makes the pick.

Fitz doesn't even have an agent 11 days before the draft.

Agents don't give discounts.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Rivercard said:
:biglaugh:

You've got to be kidding. It's all about the $$$.

It is, I will give you that. But in this case, its all about wanting an agent who will look out for you as their #1 client.

Why would you deal in your everyday life as a consumer with anyone that doesnt put you first?

"Yeah we will fix your car, but we think this other car is nicer so it gets fixed first!"

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Lex said:
A wide receiver has been selected #1 overall twice since 1982. Irving Fryer, and Keyshawn Johnson.

The Chargers are supposed to be making a decision 10 days before the draft, to allow a contract to be finalized by draft day for the #1 overall, no matter who makes the pick.

Fitz doesn't even have an agent 11 days before the draft.

Agents don't give discounts.

Ok...um...whatever.... :shrug: your point is what? That there is no way Fitz can go #1 overall? Of course he can! Thats pretty weak.

As far as what else you said, I am not sure how that is relevant? It isnt set in stone that an agreement has to be in place 10 days before the draft. In Fact up until a couple of drafts ago it rarely happened.

Your reaching now.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You never EVER let who a player's agent is affect you picking him. If you do your team is screwed. You must take the best player (put blinders on when it comes to agents until the draft is over) once you take into consideration his agent or his dad Winslow Jr. or does kind of things you are really asking to blow draft picks. It is hard enough to pick great players as is without adding non-field considerations.

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
You never EVER let who a player's agent is affect you picking him. If you do your team is screwed. You must take the best player (put blinders on when it comes to agents until the draft is over) once you take into consideration his agent or his dad Winslow Jr. or does kind of things you are really asking to blow draft picks. It is hard enough to pick great players as is without adding non-field considerations.

This is pure nonsense. A bad agent can ruin a players relationship with their team and thus render that player a bust.

The agent is just one piece of the puzzle, but an important piece and can not be ignored. Certainly not by us.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vikesfan lives in fantasy land where agents don't have a lot to do with a player's performance, his signability, and his future.

The reality is that they do.

Players that hold out rarely have a big impact their rookie year. Parker has a history of his Cardinal first round draft picks being very long hold outs.

The Cardinals simply have to get an impact player at #1. Anything that can possibly detract from that is a negative on their draft status. Again we are looking at several players that are of equal value, which is why so many people desire to trade down a few spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05