Fitzgerald will be in 2004 NFL Draft

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cbus cardsfan
Why wouldn't SD trade?They'll be able to get a player they want further down and not have to pay him top pick money.Plus they pick up extra picks or players.If SD doesn't trade down then their GM needs to be fired.It makes no sense to stay where they are at.

Because they will find difficulty finding someone to trade with. Not that they don't want to, but that trading into the top spot doesnt' come cheap. The top QB need teams are over the cap, or don't have extra picks to give up, nor are willing. Plus, SD doesn't want to fall too far and give up Gallery.

AZ is actually the most attractive trading partner, but neither team will deal with the other on this one.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see why the Chargers wouldn't draft Eli.

Brees has less upside then McCown at this point.

Do they go after Brunnel who only has a couple of years left.

If I'm the GM for the Chargers I go after OL in FA and draft the franchise QB. HC's come an go in this league and Marty Sh. has come an gone several times now. I don't pass on the future of my team for a HC. Besides as a lot of people point out Eli isn't your average rookie QB, he can probably read defenses etc better than Brees at this point.

So Marty Sh. gets his OL during FA, they also have a couple coming back from injury and you get a QB who is an instant upgrade.

Trading down sounds easy but it takes two to tango. So if you are giving up the #1 pick and a Franchise QB then the offer has to be substantial. Teams have shown they won't pass on a franchise QB but less teams are willing to give up a slew of picks to draft one, that's even more risky.

If Gallery was rated as highly as Pace or Ogden than maybe the Chargers would go with him but he's not at that level.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by lrk27
Brees was never really intended to be their franchise QB. They would have liked him to work out, but they traded that year and took Tomlinson in the first. Brees was their 2nd round pick. That being said, I agree that they don't take a QB, but will trade. Eli goes number one to the highest bidder.
They gave up Michael Vick to get Brees and Tomlinson. Brees was essentially the last pick of the first round. I do think he was their choice otherwise why give up Vick? They paid a high price for Brees (Vick and the pick used to get Brees the last pick of the first round). I have a hard time believing they will give up on him. He did play marginally better after he sat and 99% of the time it takes several years of development before a young QB is ready. They have already started investing in Brees that time. I guess we will find out on draft day. Taking Fitz or Gallery helps Brees be a better QB.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Originally posted by D-Dogg
AZ is actually the most attractive trading partner, but neither team will deal with the other on this one.

Absolutely agree with the first part, but not necessarily the second.

I understand the history, but none of the people on either side of the transaction are still with their teams.

If San Diego want someone other than one of the QB's, no way they can stay in that spot. If AZ WANTS Eli, there is no way they can sit at #3 and hope he falls.

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardiac
I don't see why the Chargers wouldn't draft Eli.

Brees has less upside then McCown at this point.

Do they go after Brunnel who only has a couple of years left.

If I'm the GM for the Chargers I go after OL in FA and draft the franchise QB. HC's come an go in this league and Marty Sh. has come an gone several times now. I don't pass on the future of my team for a HC. Besides as a lot of people point out Eli isn't your average rookie QB, he can probably read defenses etc better than Brees at this point.

So Marty Sh. gets his OL during FA, they also have a couple coming back from injury and you get a QB who is an instant upgrade.

Trading down sounds easy but it takes two to tango. So if you are giving up the #1 pick and a Franchise QB then the offer has to be substantial. Teams have shown they won't pass on a franchise QB but less teams are willing to give up a slew of picks to draft one, that's even more risky.

If Gallery was rated as highly as Pace or Ogden than maybe the Chargers would go with him but he's not at that level.
Is San Diego going to sign quality O-Linemen in FA? Who is out there? Good O-Linemen are hard to find and teams aren't going to let them go cheaply, if at all.

JMO, but I think Gallery is the guy S.D. wants and needs above all others and he will be gone if the Giants or Falcons pick before the Chargers.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1711902

"Two seasons into what already has been a standout college career, Pittsburgh receiver Larry Fitzgerald early this week will be declared eligible for the 2004 NFL draft, league sources have told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Because he is a true sophomore, Fitzgerald has not been considered eligible for the draft based on the NFL rule that prevents players from entering the draft until three NFL seasons have "elapsed" -- language that has evolved into a league policy stating that players must be three years out of high school.

However, the NFL is verifying that Fitzgerald indeed earned enough credits at a military school he transferred to during his senior year of high school to qualify for the draft, sources have told Mortensen. In that case, Fitzgerald would meet the league requirement of being three years removed from his prep graduating class, and thus be eligible to enter the draft.

"We received a letter from a lawyer representing Mr. Fitzgerald last week," NFL vice president Joe Browne told The Associated Press on Sunday. "We have asked for additional info to clarify his draft status."

Fitzgerald submitted his application for the draft ahead of last Thursday's deadline for underclassmen to declare whether they'll return to school or enter the draft, the sources told Mortensen. Fitzgerald has been projected as a top 5 pick in the April draft.

Fitzgerald finished second to Oklahoma senior quarterback Jason White in Heisman Trophy voting (1,481-1,353) last month. Fitzgerald, who set an NCAA record with touchdown catches in 18 straight games, was trying to become the first sophomore to win the award.

Fitzgerald finished the regular season with 87 catches for 1,595 yards and 22 touchdowns, but Pittsburgh finished 8-4. He caught at least one touchdown pass in all 12 games -- tying Randy Moss' single-season NCAA record.

He also set seven Big East records while leading the nation in receiving yards per game (132.9), total receiving yards, receiving touchdowns and total touchdowns.

It is not know if Fitzgerald's receiving draft clearance will impact suspended Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett's lawsuit challenging the NFL's early-entry rule. A decision in that case is expected by Feb. 1. Alan Milstein, Clarett's lawyer, has argued that Clarett technically meets the standard of the actual rule because he graduated high school early -- in December 2001 before that particular NFL season had elapsed -- but that the policy should be dumped anyway on anti-trust grounds.

Another of Clarett's attorneys, Percy Squire, said Clarett wants to play for Ohio State next season. Squire said Friday that Clarett always has wanted to return to the Buckeyes, but filed the lawsuit because he did not know whether he would be allowed to play for them again."

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renz
Is San Diego going to sign quality O-Linemen in FA? Who is out there? Good O-Linemen are hard to find and teams aren't going to let them go cheaply, if at all.

Pretty good group of free agent O-linemen this year:

Offensive Tackles:
Orlando Brown - Baltimore
Mike Gandy - Chicago (RFA)
Blake Brockermeyer - Denver
Chad Clifton - Green Bay
Greg Randall - Houston
Ryan Diem - Indianapolis (RFA)
John Tait - Kansas City
Todd Wade - Miami
Kareem McKenzie - New York Jets (RFA)
Spencer Folau - New Orleans
Damion McIntosh - San Diego
Solomon Page - San Diego
Walter Jones - Seattle
Orlando Pace - St. Louis

Offensive Guards:
Roberto Garza - Atlanta (RFA)
Marques Sullivan - Buffalo (RFA),
Bennie Anderson - Baltimore (RFA)
Kevin Donnalley - Carolina
Jeno James - Carolina
Chris Villarrial - Chicago
Ray Brown - Detroit
Eric Beverly - Detroit
Rick DeMulling - Indianapolis (RFA)
Jamie Nails - Miami
Lewis Kelly - Minnesota
Everett Lindsay - Minnesota
J.P. Machado - New York Jets
Matt Stinchcomb - Oakland
Bobbie Williams - Philadelphia
Kelvin Garmon - San Diego
Adam Timmerman - St. Louis
Cosey Coleman - Tampa Bay

Centers:
Mike Flynn - Baltimore
Shaun O'Hara - Cleveland
Brad Meester - Jacksonville
Mike Compton - New England
Damien Woody - New England
Chris Bober - New York Giants

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by vikesfan
They gave up Michael Vick to get Brees and Tomlinson. Brees was essentially the last pick of the first round. I do think he was their choice otherwise why give up Vick? They paid a high price for Brees (Vick and the pick used to get Brees the last pick of the first round). I have a hard time believing they will give up on him. He did play marginally better after he sat and 99% of the time it takes several years of development before a young QB is ready. They have already started investing in Brees that time. I guess we will find out on draft day. Taking Fitz or Gallery helps Brees be a better QB.

They gave up Vick to get Tomlinson and extra picks. The Brees portion on this was a bit lucky (or so it seemed at the time) for them.

They could hope that Rivers or Losman or ... is there in the 2nd rd again this year if don't take Eli or Ben but I think the scenario is different this year. Tomlinson was and is a superior talent at a position that can contribute immediately.

Also every team in the league would like a quality back up QB. Pretty much the same scenario for the Cards with McCown if they draft Eli or Ben.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renz

JMO, but I think Gallery is the guy S.D. wants and needs above all others and he will be gone if the Giants or Falcons pick before the Chargers.

Take a look at BACH's post about all of the FA O-linemen.

If I'm the Chargers I grab one them and a Franchise QB. The worst approach a team can use is drafting for need instead of BPA and especially with the 1st pick of the draft.