Forget Melvin's Extension-- Get this guy!!

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
MIAMI -- Florida Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria offered a curt assessment of his strained relationship with manager Joe Girardi, which may mean the two will soon part company.

"Managers obviously have some input during the course of the season ... but what's important is the product that's put on the field by the baseball department as well."

"Everything is, you know, it's fine," Loria said Saturday -- before the Marlins beat the Brewers 7-2. "But I don't want to talk about it."

Addressing his rift with Girardi for the first time since it became public three weeks ago, Loria repeatedly tried to steer the conversation away from the subject. He declined to endorse the job Girardi has done in his first year as manager, even though baseball's youngest team has far exceeded expectations.

"Managers obviously have some input during the course of the season," Loria said. "But what's important is the product that's put on the field by the baseball department as well. An amazing job was done by our organization before we started this season."

After the Marlins game, Girardi declined to comment.

"I just talk about the guys on the field," he said.

When told his comments might fuel the perception Girardi won't return next season, Loria told reporters: "If you guys want to come to those conclusions, OK. As far as I'm concerned, the only focus for me and the fans should be what's on the field, personalities aside."

The rift erupted at a game Aug. 6, when Loria berated an umpire while sitting behind the plate. From the dugout, Girardi told or asked the owner to stop, witnesses said. Loria angrily left his seat and confronted Girardi after the game during a 90-minute clubhouse meeting.

Loria has declined to comment on the episode or respond to published reports that he fired Girardi, then changed his mind.

"I don't want to talk about ancient history," Loria said shortly before Saturday's game against Milwaukee. "These kids deserve the opportunity to finish out the season unencumbered by peripheral issues like who said what or who did what."

Girardi, under contract through 2008, has repeatedly declined to discuss the matter or his future. With baseball's lowest payroll, the Marlins were widely projected to lose more than 100 games, but instead they remain on the fringe of the NL wild-card race.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would love to see Girardi here but it will never happen. Byrnes acted too hastily with Melvin. He should of waited until after the season to sign him or look for a new manager.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
I would love to see Girardi here but it will never happen. Byrnes acted too hastily with Melvin. He should of waited until after the season to sign him or look for a new manager.
Yes, he should have waited til after the season. But I wouldn't bet on it never happening. When Melvin got the 2-year extension, articles made it a point to say that it doesn't necessarily mean he'll be here for two more years.

Byrnes must be realizing that, despite his inability to provide the Manager with a decent pitching staff, Melvin is not getting the most from his offense.

They took a financial beating to move Shawn Green, citing what they were saving. I don't think D'backs top management would let money get in the way of moving a snoozing, unqualified, 2nd-choice Manager if an overachiever like Girardi becomes available.

Last edited:

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing today! What an idiot Loria is. My bet is Girardi will be with the Cubs next season

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Girardi's a star on the rise at the management position.

I can't understand why the Marlins are even CONSIDERING letting him leave. But in all honesty, if I'm the Diamondbacks, I strike up initial conversations with them. Hell, I'd even throw compensation their way to get that deal done.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
I was thinking the same thing today! What an idiot Loria is. My bet is Girardi will be with the Cubs next season

I could see that. Ironically if that happens I could see Dusty Baker here because of his man-love for Phoenix.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:

That is what I am thinking as well - no way Dusty survives until next year.

That being said, I would love to have Girardi in Phoenix!

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
I could see that. Ironically if that happens I could see Dusty Baker here because of his man-love for Phoenix.

I'd take Melvin anyday over Baker. I don't like Melvin but I can't stand Baker. We don't need his ego anywhere near this team. Girardi is a different story. He would be a welcome addition as he has proved to get the most out of the youngest team in the majors. He would do wonders for the youth of this team.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure how much Byrnes would want a guy like Girardi. He seems to be a tough nosed manager who likes to do things his way (no input from front office) which I don't mind at all. Byrnes seems to be the "Moneyball" type of GM who more or less tells the mangager who to play, at which position, and how much PT they get. I could see Byrnes seeing that has a problem with a manager like Girardi. I would love a change in manager and Girardi fits our system best but I see it highly unlikely. Just my two cents

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
I'd take Melvin anyday over Baker. I don't like Melvin but I can't stand Baker. We don't need his ego anywhere near this team. Girardi is a different story. He would be a welcome addition as he has proved to get the most out of the youngest team in the majors. He would do wonders for the youth of this team.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure how much Byrnes would want a guy like Girardi. He seems to be a tough nosed manager who likes to do things his way (no input from front office) which I don't mind at all. Byrnes seems to be the "Moneyball" type of GM who more or less tells the mangager who to play, at which position, and how much PT they get. I could see Byrnes seeing that has a problem with a manager like Girardi. I would love a change in manager and Girardi fits our system best but I see it highly unlikely. Just my two cents

I think you are pretty much right on. This team would be best suited to have a guy like Girardi. However I think I would rather take Baker over Melvin. He's gotten a bad rap in Chicago, but with Wood and Prior constantly on the DL, I don't know how much a manager can do. Not to mention Jim Hendry hasn’t appeared to be the savviest of GM's when it comes to bringing in guys who could help the club. This is an area where Byrnes excels.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
I think you are pretty much right on. This team would be best suited to have a guy like Girardi. However I think I would rather take Baker over Melvin. He's gotten a bad rap in Chicago, but with Wood and Prior constantly on the DL, I don't know how much a manager can do. Not to mention Jim Hendry hasn’t appeared to be the savviest of GM's when it comes to bringing in guys who could help the club. This is an area where Byrnes excels.

I dislike Baker because of the way he acts and some decisions he makes. I'll be honest when saying my hatred for him started when he was the Giants manager. I hate the freakin Giants. Anyways, I think Baker has an extreme ego and plays favorites. He is known for favoring vets and I don't think his managing style fits this club AT ALL. He also has a reputation of running pitchers into the ground (excluding Prior). IMO, he is an extremely overrated manager and I'd rather have Melvin.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
I dislike Baker because of the way he acts and some decisions he makes. I'll be honest when saying my hatred for him started when he was the Giants manager. I hate the freakin Giants. Anyways, I think Baker has an extreme ego and plays favorites. He is known for favoring vets and I don't think his managing style fits this club AT ALL. He also has a reputation of running pitchers into the ground (excluding Prior). IMO, he is an extremely overrated manager and I'd rather have Melvin.
Wow that description sounds familiar.............not a big Denny Green fan either huh? ;)

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Espo said:
Wow that description sounds familiar.............not a big Denny Green fan either huh? ;)

Not too high on him but Green is a good drafter and has somehow got the Bidwells to spend some money. I know the stadium was a big factor but still.....

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Report: 'Zero' chance Girardi manages '07 Marlins

Report: 'Zero' chance Girardi manages '07 Marlins

MIAMI -- Joe Girardi has a chance to win National League Manager of the Year, but it seems he has no chance to return to the Florida Marlins next season.

According to a report in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Girardi will be out as Marlins manager after just one season.

The report identified a source close to the Marlins front office who described Girardi's chances of returning as Florida's manager a "zero" on a scale of one to 10.

"I don't think there is any chance," the source told the newspaper.

With two years left on his contract, Girardi would be owed $1.5 million if he is not picked up by another club. With Dusty Baker on the hot seat with the Chicago Cubs, Girardi, a Northwestern grad and Windy City native has been rumored as Baker's replacement.

The Marlins already have identified possible replacements for Girardi, the report said, including a trio of third base coaches: Fredi Gonzalez (Atlanta), Joey Cora (Chicago White Sox) and Manny Acta (New York Mets).

Girardi's imminent departure seems to be a culmination of events that have him and the Florida front office at odds.

The manager and Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria have had a frosty relationship this season. Girardi was nearly fired after an Aug. 6 game against the Los Angeles Dodgers when he and bench coach Gary Tuck scolded Loria for yelling at umpires from his field-level seat.

According to the source, Girardi and general manager Larry Beinfest "barely speak" and do not communicate about team decisions on a regular basis.

"His introverted behavior and lack of people skills have caused most of the problems," the source said of Girardi, who spent one season as Yankees bench coach after a 15-year playing career. "Both sides are at fault."

However, the source said the front office is pointing to specific in-game decisions that ultimately may lead to Girardi's demise.

Fighting for a wild-card spot, the source described Marlins management as "shocked" that Girardi brought back rookie-sensation Josh Johnson after an 82-minute rain delay on Sept. 12 against the New York Mets. The righthander left the game four innings later with cramping in his forearm and was later shelved for the season with a strained ligament.

Girardi also was criticized for inserting reserve outfielder Reggie Abercrombie as a defensive replacement in Sunday's 8-7 loss against Atlanta. Florida's 10th-inning collapse was aided by two Abercrombie errors that opened the door for a five-run inning.

Marlins president David Samson appeared this week on ESPN and said the team would evaluate Girardi at the end of the season, but the source said that process already has been completed.

Despite the manager's problems, Florida has been one of the biggest surprises in baseball. With a miniscule $15 million payroll and 22 rookies, Girardi has Florida (76-77) in playoff contention, four games behind the Dodgers in the NL wild-card race with nine games remaining.

If the DBacks were smart they would go after him. I hope they do.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
I'm in full agreeance, Arizona should go after Girardi at all costs.

And someone, please just contract the Marlins now.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Girardi is a rookie manager with minimal experience and a questionable attitude. He is most responsible for his own firing. Loria is a terrible owner with a great General Manager and scouting group.

Girardi was lied to from day one by Loria, but he has done absolutely nothing to make it easy. Beware of what you think is there.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Girardi will be the manager for the 2007 Chicago Cubs. Bank on it.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
"His introverted behavior and lack of people skills have caused most of the problems," the source said of Girardi, who spent one season as Yankees bench coach after a 15-year playing career."

If the DBacks were smart they would go after him. I hope they do.

These two items in your post seem contradictory.

We already have a Manager who has "introverted behavior and lack of people skills".

Why would we want Joe Girardi? And why another with predominantly American League and Yankee experience (remember Buck Showalter?).

National Leaguers manage well in the American League. American Leaguers fail as managers in the N.L.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Let Giardi go to the Cubs, and lets can Melvin and bring Chip Hale up! Hale already knows the guys like Drew, Quentin, Young, etc- and can probably get the most out of them.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Let Giardi go to the Cubs, and lets can Melvin and bring Chip Hale up! Hale already knows the guys like Drew, Quentin, Young, etc- and can probably get the most out of them.
Chip Hale has already been brought up . . . as a Coach for the final couple of weeks of the season. (Early in the season, of course, he spent time with the D'backs as temporary 3rd base coach.)

Let's hope this is not just a lolli-pop reward for the Minor League manager of the year.

My wish is still an annoucement soon after the end of the season that Chip Hale is our new Manager, and that he and Josh Byrnes will choose his new coaching staff from scratch.

Ruff N Tuff

Reaction score
I hope the D-Backs dont go after Girardi he's overrated. He sacrfices too much early in the game with players that should be swinging away, He gets physical with his players (he grabbed Scott Olsen by his jersey and shoved him into a locker), he overuses his pitcher. Forexample, Carlos Martinez and Logan Kensing both had to have tommy john surgery this year and he brings out Josh Johnson after an 80+ min rain delay and guess what he gets a strained ligament in his forearm. I personally would'nt want him to ruin Brandon Webb.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
HooverDam said:

Didn't we have this same conversation about Pedrique?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Didn't we have this same conversation about Pedrique?
Al Pedrique was in the same situation as Chip Hale, but his overall leadership ability and baseball-personality at the Major League level were about the same as Bob Melvin's.

Does that mean that the decision to promote Hale should be based on Pedrique? I hope not.

Let's consider Chip Hale vs. Bob Melvin. That's here and now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05