Four categories of Phoenix Suns fans

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I've run for cover while watching the Suns because of incoming rocket fire coming from Sadr City. I've endured endless torment from Spurs fans as result of being stationed in an even more inhospitable location, Texas.

:mrgreen:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was stationed in San Antonio in 76 and then spent several months in the army hospital there (Brooke Army Medical Center). Spurs fans were a softer, gentler sort back then. And although I was a diehard Suns fan even then it was fun to watch George Gervin, Billy Paultz and a couple of coaches in training. Mike Dantoni and George Karl were both on that team.

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I choose to ignore the Bowen/ Horry era.

I graduated from High School in San Antonio (Well, 30 miles from San Antonio), and the city is wonderful, people are wonderful, and the Spurs fans and organization are wonderful.

First time I saw my Suns play in person was in San Antonio in 2002, and the Suns got demolished by 20+ points. :-(

chickenhead

Reaction score
The first post reads like a hierarchy designed to make a longtime transplant almost on par with resident natives, but definitely superior to former locals. It's a pretty narrow definition of "community," and easy to see why it set some poeple off.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first post reads like a hierarchy designed to make a longtime transplant almost on par with resident natives, but definitely superior to former locals. It's a pretty narrow definition of "community," and easy to see why it set some poeple off.

As I look at it, it was sort of like putting people in categories who like to eat pizza.

marios13

Rookie
Reaction score
@SirStefan

"Sweet smell of freedom!"

If your age is real ... 32 and you left 17 years ago you were 15 when you got to USA. I don't know what propaganda have you been eating for the last 17 years ago, but you make it sound like there was no freedom in Yugoslavia ...

As far as I am concerned things in Yugoslavia for the majority of the people were better than things are now in USA. And if Ronald Reagan hadn't started pouring in cheap loans then suddenly yanking them away and CIA paying of nationalist organizations and extremists Yugoslavia would still exist. Basically after USSR failed they didn't need Yugoslavia anymore as an ally ...

... anyway I hate when you make us sound like North Korea when Yugoslavia was nothing even close to it ...

Probably because your first memories of it are when the **** hit the fan ...

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
@SirStefan

"Sweet smell of freedom!"

If your age is real ... 32 and you left 17 years ago you were 15 when you got to USA. I don't know what propaganda have you been eating for the last 17 years ago, but you make it sound like there was no freedom in Yugoslavia ...

As far as I am concerned things in Yugoslavia for the majority of the people were better than things are now in USA. And if Ronald Reagan hadn't started pouring in cheap loans then suddenly yanking them away and CIA paying of nationalist organizations and extremists Yugoslavia would still exist. Basically after USSR failed they didn't need Yugoslavia anymore as an ally ...

... anyway I hate when you make us sound like North Korea when Yugoslavia was nothing even close to it ...

Probably because your first memories of it are when the **** hit the fan ...

That's probably a part of it. Many people (regardless of nationality) speak fondly of old Yugoslavia. Surely, life was better in SFRJ than it is in either of the six countries now. I did not intend my post to be insulting to anyone. SFRJ (Communist Yugoslavia) was nowhere near the level of cruel dictatorships, but let's not pretend it was a bastion of freedom and human rights.

If you like it over there, good for you. As for me, I like being able to disagree with anyone politically and not worry about being shipped off to prison, I enjoy the unlimited opportunities than capitalism offers (tripling my income in the last eleven years, for example), I enjoy not being forced to be a part of any group or organization, I like being able to buy any gun I want to have in my collection, I enjoy the fact that nobody cares if my great grandparents were Serbian, Croatian, German, Jewish, or Klingon for that matter. I like being able to read any book, listen to any music, and support any political party I like without government interference.

I am certain that my memories include literally the worst things about Yugoslavia, and I am certain life under Tito in SFRJ was far better than life under any of the six idiots leading the six "new" countries, but nonetheless, I stand by my statement that the United States of America (imperfect as they may be) stands head and shoulder above any other country when it comes to freedom.

Again, my apologies if I've offended you and any other former Yugos (I know a couple of guys from Serbia post here from time to time). I respect your point of view, and I respect anyone who chose to stay there (My entire family stayed behind.) Much like you guys love your countries and our former country, I love my "adopted" country and think it's the greatest country in the world.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
There are some (like me) who are out-of-state and at times we are out-of-the-country to ensure that you remain free to say things like that. I've run for cover while watching the Suns because of incoming rocket fire coming from Sadr City. I've endured endless torment from Spurs fans as result of being stationed in an even more inhospitable location, Texas.

But there is a great connection that I have made with people in my wanderings as a result of being fellow Suns fans. Whether it is the total stranger who approached me in Tokyo because I was wearing a Suns shirt, the knowing nod of a fellow fan as we shuffle into the AT&T Center, or the friend I made in the Chow Hall in Baghdad as we cheered on the Suns, there is something special about connecting as Suns fans.

For many years, I have not been following the home team. I've never been the bandwagon fan who started following the championship team. I'm just a middle-aged guy who still follows the same team he liked when he alittle kid that thought that girls had coodies and Larry Nance was "gnarly."

I am a Suns fan. I've been one since I first was able to turn on the TV and watch games. I will always be a Suns fan. I don't care where you are from or why you started following the Suns. As long as you like the Suns and dislike the Lakers and Spurs you are family to me. I've got some weirdos in my extended Suns family. I'll probably never meet my crazy German cousin that thinks Magic Johnson was not a point guard or the music professor that always seems too pessimistic. But I've enjoyed their company for years, even when (or maybe especially) when we disagree.

Post of the year. Brilliant, Neo!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk