Free Agent Bigs

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
After losing Darko, the Magic are looking at free agent bigs. This is not a great year for it and the name guys are gone (Darko, Joe Smith, Mikki Moore, and Magloire).

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-nbafreeagent1807jul18,0,3881673.story

There still are good free agents available, but the Magic don't have much room under the salary cap to sign them, with only the NBA veteran minimum ($1.2 million) to offer them.

Free agents such as Anderson Varejao, Chris Mihm, Andray Blatche, P.J. Brown and Chris Webber are looking for teams. But they are either restricted free agents, which means their current teams can match offers to keep them, or they will command considerably more than the minimum.

It's more likely the Magic will be left to choose among Michael Olowokandi, Calvin Booth, Pat Burke, Kelvin Cato, Vitaly Potapenko, Brian Skinner, Iakovos Tsakalidis, Scot Pollard and Mike Sweetney. And many of those will be gone before the Magic can get into the bidding.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Brian Skinner is servicable IMO if they're looking for someone cheap.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I surprised he has attracted so little attention. For the vet minimum, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I surprised he has attracted so little attention. For the vet minimum, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

I agree about Skinner. He always seems to hit the boards hard. I know he is not a shooter but I think he is an excellent role player. He knows how to rough it up a bit which the Suns need. Reminds me somewhat of Reggie Evans.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree about Skinner. He always seems to hit the boards hard. I know he is not a shooter but I think he is an excellent role player. He knows how to rough it up a bit which the Suns need. Reminds me somewhat of Reggie Evans.

They are very similiar. Evens is far better on the boards than Skinner, but their scoring is similiar. Neither are good free throw shooters but Evens is almost the defenition of terrible 49.8% which makes Skinner's 58.2% almost look good.

Skinner is a little bigger and is supposed to be an active defender.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
imo,
evans > skinner

And Skinner is a free agent while Evans has a full MLE contract. The only real question is whether:

1. Skinner would be helpful if added into the Burke slot on the roster.
2. There is anyone else who is better and is an unrestricted free agent available at the vet minimum
3. Skinner could be signed for a vet minimum contract

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This may not mean much, but Scot Pollard was recently quoted as saying that Cleveland doesn't want him back, and he said that he would fit better in the West because he is a "running center". Is that a not-so-subtle hint that he would like to sign with the Suns?

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This may not mean much, but Scot Pollard was recently quoted as saying that Cleveland doesn't want him back, and he said that he would fit better in the West because he is a "running center". Is that a not-so-subtle hint that he would like to sign with the Suns?

Apparently the Cavs signed Pollard as an injury backup, but then hardly used him (109 minutes the entire season). It's been a while since he had a particularly good year, but it is hard for me to tell if it is because he doesn't have it any more or just circumstances.

Hoopshype gives him a nice review, but it could easily be out of date:

http://www.hoopshype.com/players/scot_pollard.htm

Plays with heart... Will fight for every ball... Long arms... Outstanding rebounding skills... Loves to grab the offensive rebound... Will put some few points on the board... Runs the floor well.

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score

Skinner is more than serviceable and would love if Suns picked him up, not the Magic.

Skinner, as I've argued in past threads, is an upgrade over Kurt in the Suns offense (not player to player comparison).

Skinner can run the floor, finishes with authority unlike Kurt's layins, and can rebound just as well if not better. And he is younger and jumps higher. Only problem is he cannot shoot, but that's why you added another 16 points per game in Grant Hill.

Very surprised Skinner hasn't gotten any attention. He's the best big out there right now.

----------------

And yes, Pat Burke played for the Magic one season. Did a decent job as he was starting center for a short while -- and he had hair, but in the brink of losing it....

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Skinner is more than serviceable and would love if Suns picked him up, not the Magic.

Skinner, as I've argued in past threads, is an upgrade over Kurt in the Suns offense (not player to player comparison).

Skinner can run the floor, finishes with authority unlike Kurt's layins, and can rebound just as well if not better. And he is younger and jumps higher. Only problem is he cannot shoot, but that's why you added another 16 points per game in Grant Hill.

Very surprised Skinner hasn't gotten any attention. He's the best big out there right now.

My guess is that on this board there is more supporters for Skinner than detractors. The only concrete criticism is that he may not be a good team defender and certainly is not much of a shooter (but shooting is a problem with most bigs).

I've not seen his name linked to any other team. He gets mentioned in "laundry list" suggestions, but not teams being specificially interested which is the case with PJ Brown and Webber.

If I was to guess, I imagine that Skinner's agent is giving an asking price that is turning off suitors (similar to what happened to Jumaine Jones last year). Like with several other guys, I think there is a waiting game going on as players drop their asking price and the number of available prospects drops to the point where teams have to bite.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The old Pollard would have been great -- he's definitely one of those players that I hated to see on the opponent's squad but would have welcomed in a Suns uniform. Unfortunately he's been basically useless since he got hurt, and the last time I saw him he was disastrously overweight.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The old Pollard would have been great -- he's definitely one of those players that I hated to see on the opponent's squad but would have welcomed in a Suns uniform. Unfortunately he's been basically useless since he got hurt, and the last time I saw him he was disastrously overweight.

I agree. The old Pollard would have been a great fit in Phoenix. When he was with the Kings he reminded me of a taller version of Kurt Rambis. Pollard would do the dirty work inside.

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score
My guess is that on this board there is more supporters for Skinner than detractors. The only concrete criticism is that he may not be a good team defender and certainly is not much of a shooter (but shooting is a problem with most bigs).

I've not seen his name linked to any other team. He gets mentioned in "laundry list" suggestions, but not teams being specificially interested which is the case with PJ Brown and Webber.

If I was to guess, I imagine that Skinner's agent is giving an asking price that is turning off suitors (similar to what happened to Jumaine Jones last year). Like with several other guys, I think there is a waiting game going on as players drop their asking price and the number of available prospects drops to the point where teams have to bite.

Yes. Very true.

So how long is the waiting game?

Assuming just weeks before October pre-season opens up - huh......by then Skinner's agent will realize nobody is going to pay more than 1.5 million for him.

Last edited:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I'd take Skinner at this point. Serviceable is a good description.

Reggie Evans is rebounding and that's it.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score

----------------

And yes, Pat Burke played for the Magic one season. Did a decent job as he was starting center for a short while -- and he had hair, but in the brink of losing it....

Aren't you the guy who's telling us in a couple other threads that we don't understand the way Mike D'Antoni wants his teams put together? If PJ Brown isn't available I wouldn't mind signing Skinner to a small contract. However you keep brushing off the fact that Skinner cannot like it's not that big a deal. That's HUGE to Mike D'Antoni and this offense.

Kurt Thomas had trouble getting regular minutes in Mike D'Antoni's system comment he is actually a good shooter. What do you think is going to happen when opposing centers can just hang out around the basket because Skinner has no range? Even Sean Marks can consistently hit open jumpers.

You keep saying that Skinner finishes with authority. That's great for the fans, but Kurt Thomas had no problem finishing with layups and jumpers. Slam dunks count for two points just like layups and jumpers.

I believe of the remaining free agents P.J. Brown is definitely the best person for the job. If the Phoenix Suns can convince him to play here next year I would say they are definitely a better team going into next season.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Joe

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was disappointed that there was absolutely nothing written about Marks when he signed last week. Other than a brief comment by Kerr that Marks is better than we give him credit for (not a huge reach since we don't think he can play), there has been nothing.

Why do they think Marks can make a difference if he could only get 17 minutes last season? It wasn't like Burke was playing all that well. It's really puzzling.

Change in subject, I was wondering if there are any older European bigs available. With Eurobasket coming up, I was wondering if there is anyone we should be looking at.

As Joe put it, the Suns need someone who can not only bother Duncan in the low post but also shoot. This looks like the profile of a Euro, though most aren't quick enough to do the defense job.

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score
Aren't you the guy who's telling us in a couple other threads that we don't understand the way Mike D'Antoni wants his teams put together? If PJ Brown isn't available I wouldn't mind signing Skinner to a small contract. However you keep brushing off the fact that Skinner cannot like it's not that big a deal. That's HUGE to Mike D'Antoni and this offense.

Kurt Thomas had trouble getting regular minutes in Mike D'Antoni's system comment he is actually a good shooter. What do you think is going to happen when opposing centers can just hang out around the basket because Skinner has no range? Even Sean Marks can consistently hit open jumpers.

You keep saying that Skinner finishes with authority. That's great for the fans, but Kurt Thomas had no problem finishing with layups and jumpers. Slam dunks count for two points just like layups and jumpers.

I believe of the remaining free agents P.J. Brown is definitely the best person for the job. If the Phoenix Suns can convince him to play here next year I would say they are definitely a better team going into next season.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Joe

You're mis-representing all my words.

I firmly believe Suns don't need to use anymore big men. Kurt, PJ, and everyone else slow the Suns system - a system D'Antoni has carved in stone saying they will go small and not use bigs. This means Tucker at the four sometimes.

HOWEVER.....the fact of the matter is that there is still an open roster stop after Strawberry signs. The leagues requires a minimum 13 players. Suns have 12 with DJ.

With that said, Kerr wants to add one final big man. In support of Kerr adding one final big man, I concluded that BRIAN SKINNER is by far your best option than anybody else.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're mis-representing all my words.

I firmly believe Suns don't need to use anymore big men. Kurt, PJ, and everyone else slow the Suns system - a system D'Antoni has carved in stone saying they will go small and not use bigs. This means Tucker at the four sometimes.

HOWEVER.....the fact of the matter is that there is still an open roster stop after Strawberry signs. The leagues requires a minimum 13 players. Suns have 12 with DJ.

With that said, Kerr wants to add one final big man. In support of Kerr adding one final big man, I concluded that BRIAN SKINNER is by far your best option than anybody else.

What proof do you have that a big man would slow the team down? They played just fine with Kurt in the lineup and the scoring did not suffer.

Also, Tucker in no way shape or form can play the 4 in the west. He would have to lineup at times against the likes of Tim Duncan, Elton Brand....I could go on forever. You can't be serious.

As long as the Spurs are legit and Tim is around, the Suns need another big man. The fact that our best defender against him just was traded and replaced with.....oh wait.....he wasn't. So how exactly are you convinced? How do you stop Duncan from averaging 40+ while down grading the defensive middle on this team?

Last edited:

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score
What prove do you have that a big man would slow the team down? They played just fine with Kurt in the lineup and the scoring did not suffer.

Also, Tucker in no way shape or form can play the 4 in the west. He would have to lineup at times against the likes of Tim Duncan, Elton Brand....I could go on forever. You can't be serious.

To answer your first question, I don't. Likewise, what proof do u have that a big is going to help win it all for the Suns?

Last time I checked, Suns choked the last two seasons with Kurt Thomas. Certainly didn't win a title and certainly isn't the answer now is it?

-------------------------

Second question, I'd like to see u pose that issue to D'Antoni. I'd like to see you insult him with saying you are going too small. I'd be very intrigued as to what he has to tell you.

You are a Suns fan. Live with the fact that the team ISN'T GOING TO GO BIG AND ACCEPT IT rather than complaining everyday that Suns cannot defend Tim and Brand and Boozer.

So sick of Suns fans saying they need more bigs. Accept the fact that Suns won't go big and Suns don't have money.

What do u propose? Trade Marion for Boozer and Okur??? Certainly not the answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan