free agents

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I know this has been done before and I apologize for starting a new thread, but I wanted to have all of this summer's potentially "relevant" free agents in one place.

This isn't a list "for the Suns," by which I mean that there are lots of players here in whom the Suns would obviously have no interest. But there's a good chance that someone will want them somewhere.

I don't know all the opt-outs by memory, so this is just "name" UFAs and RFAs who could theoretically leave. (I included Joe Johnson just for the sake of completeness.) If other people post information about opt-outs, I'll add them to this list (if it seems likely that they will change teams).

I guessed at the top twelve attractions and put them in red, but that's all it is, a guess. Asterisks indicate players who are already UFAs or are likely (from what I've read) to exercise their opt-outs, becoming UFAs.

C/PF types (including bruiser PFs)
*Chris Andersen
Kwame Brown
Tyson Chandler
Eddy Curry
Samuel Dalembert
Reggie Evans
Dan Gadzuric
Udonis Haslem
*Zydrunas Ilgauskas
*Mark Madsen
*Mikki Moore
*Alonzo Mourning
*Dikembe Mutombo
Zaza Pachulia
*Vitaly Potapenko
*Stromile Swift

Scoring Fs or SF/SGs
*Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Eddie Griffin
Joe Johnson
Kyle Korver
*Donyell Marshall
Vladimir Radmanovic
*Glenn Robinson
*Bobby Simmons
*Latrell Sprewell
*Nikoloz Tskitishvili
*Antonie Walker
Luke Walton
*Bonzi Wells

Pure SGs, PGs or combo Gs
*Ray Allen
*Juan Dixon
*Larry Hughes
Casey Jacobsen
Marko Jaric
*Kerry Kittles
*Brevin Knight
*Jeff McInnis
Ronald Murray
*Gary Payton
*Michael Redd
*Damon Stoudamire

Last edited by a moderator:

HooverDam

Reaction score
Well, as long as we resign Joe Johnson, I think we are set in the swingman category- Q, JJ, JJacks, Barbosa, McCarty.

Back up PG and PF/C is what I hope they go for. As for the guards I like:

Bobby Jackson, Payton, Damon Stuademire and maybe Brevin Knight. All could play some good pack up PG (if they'd be willing to).

In the big man area I hope the Suns make a go at:

Reggie Evans, seems slow and maybe not athletic enough for our system, but could be the bruiser/muscle we need.

Stromile Swift- Seems like he will be a bit too expensive, but damn I think he'd be a nice pick up. He can run, block, grab some boards and unlike most bigs he's not a mess at the free throw line!

Udonis Haslem- Obviously, he's good, but I doubt he will be let go.

Chris Anderson- Seems like another quick, athletic big that may fit our system. But also seems like kind of a prick, don't know how he'd be for team chemistry (I dont know a whole lot about him, this is just going off a few interviews Ive seen).

Basically, I think the Suns have to decide what they want in a big man. Do they want a running, athletic big guy who can shoot? The "Euro" style as it were. Or the more traditional, big, slow, low post, pound your brains in type of guy. Personally, I wouldnt mind seeing them try to get both. Cause I think Voskhul, Shirley, and Outlaw are all dead weight right now (which is hard for me to say, since they are all class acts. Especially Outlaw, whos veteran leadership and hustle I appreciate but it seems pointless to play someone who doesnt play).

EDIT: I should also say that the names,Zaza Pachulia, Vitaly Potapenko,Vladimir Radmanovic, and Nikoloz Tskitishvili are all fun to say. And for this reason alone, I would like them on the Suns so I could hear Al McCoy say their names more often :p

Last edited:

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Bobby Jackson infact won't be a free-agent. The Kings picked up his option

I totally forgot about Swift. He would fit this team prefectly. But maybe not the team's biggest need.

Guys like Evans and Anderson are guys this team also needs. Great garbage guys who will go after everything and rebound.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Swift has the talent, but not the temperment for the Suns. The Suns are focused on guys who play hard all the time.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction on Jackson, Amare32.

If anyone catches other errors, please point them out.

I guess that promotes Damon Stoudamire to the "red" category, since I want to keep four per group.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Zarko showed some life with the Warriors after the trade. I still like him.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Swift has the talent, but not the temperment for the Suns. The Suns are focused on guys who play hard all the time.

Definitely agree on that.

What's Tyson Chandler's situation? Wow, what a stud duo Amare and Tyson would be. I know they have a past, but I think they would compliment each other perfectly.

Chandler will never have the offense of Amare. And, Amare will never have the defensive length of Chandler. They would be knocking the crap out of PF's for years to come.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
sly fly said:
Definitely agree on that.

What's Tyson Chandler's situation? Wow, what a stud duo Amare and Tyson would be. I know they have a past, but I think they would compliment each other perfectly.

Chandler will never have the offense of Amare. And, Amare will never have the defensive length of Chandler. They would be knocking the crap out of PF's for years to come.

I have been preaching the same thing all season. I think they would be awesome together. Unfortunately, Chandler is an RFA and we would have to do a sign and trade to get him most likley. In other words, fat chance :(

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Tyson Chandler will NOT be a Sun. There is just no way in hell that will happen.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Expect to see Casey back. I remember hearing something on 910 a few weeks back about the Suns being interested in bringing Casey back.

A person that I'd LOVE to see here is Chris Anderson. Perfect bench player, and exactly what the Suns need.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two names immediately jumped out on the list at the C/PF list. I'm sure they are probably not the best players on the list but Zaza Pachulia always seems to light up Phoenix when he plays against them. I really like his skills. The other is Dan Gadzuric mainly because of his mobility and speed (I think he would fit well into an uptempo game). It seems for some reason I'm looking at the Bucks. I like Pachulia the best of the two.

I'm also thinking many of the other players on the list may command too much money like Brown, Swift, Dalembert, Curry and Chandler. Some of the others I'm not real high on like Mikki Moore and Chris Anderson, but then again the Suns may not be able to be too chosey. The main thing is that the Suns acquire some role players that will see some time on the court.

There is another player I like, Melvin Ely, but I'm not sure what it would take to pry him loose from the Bobcats. I don't believe he is a free agent. I tried to look at players that might be reasonably obtainable.

I like Abdur-Rahim and Vladimir Radmanovic at the forwards and who wouldn't want Bobby Simmons as a SG. Abdur-Rahim would fill alot of holes on our frontline.

The PG position appears to have slim pickings. I wanted the Suns to go big with their first round pick but if the BPA is a PG, I seriously would have to consider it. Maybe Vujanic is a quick healer (from his ACL injury) and can help the Suns in the backcourt.

Sadly, the salaries these FA's demand will probably be a factor in who the Suns acquire unless they can unload some players. Also, I agree with the other poster, that Casey will probably come back. Unlike some, I think Casey will just continue to improve.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
Expect to see Casey back.

I will vomit if we bring back the chicken with his head cut off.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm still thinking about Eric's unlikely but maybe possible scenario of Shareef Abdur-Rahim coming to Phoenix. You gotta think that he wouldn't want something less than 7 mil a year, but if he was willing to take the higher exemption, would the Suns offer it?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
SAR is a really good player but would he complement what the Suns are doing?

He's kind of a small PF, a lot like Marion and it seems like I remember him being very preoccupied with the number of touches he gets.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
devilalum said:
SAR is a really good player but would he complement what the Suns are doing?

He's kind of a small PF, a lot like Marion and it seems like I remember him being very preoccupied with the number of touches he gets.

C - Amare
PF - SAR
SF - Marion
SG - JJ
PG - Nash

6th - Q
Bench - Jimmy Jackson
Bench - Steven Hunter
Bench - Leandro Barbosa

That's pretty solid top to bottom.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
C - Amare
PF - SAR
SF - Marion
SG - JJ
PG - Nash

6th - Q
Bench - Jimmy Jackson
Bench - Steven Hunter
Bench - Leandro Barbosa

I like it. :) Now how do the Suns get it?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
C - Amare
PF - SAR
SF - Marion
SG - JJ
PG - Nash

6th - Q
Bench - Jimmy Jackson
Bench - Steven Hunter
Bench - Leandro Barbosa

Plus a draft pick and another vet minimum signee. With that lineup, Q is very tradeable if the right deal comes along.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I'm still thinking about Eric's unlikely but maybe possible scenario of Shareef Abdur-Rahim coming to Phoenix. You gotta think that he wouldn't want something less than 7 mil a year, but if he was willing to take the higher exemption, would the Suns offer it?

I could easily see SAR taking the MLE this summer (as long as is it stays in its current form, not going to the split like they are talking about).

Of course, if he does so I think that it will be with the Nets.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
C - Amare
PF - SAR
SF - Marion
SG - JJ
PG - Nash

6th - Q
Bench - Jimmy Jackson
Bench - Steven Hunter
Bench - Leandro Barbosa

Don't think the Suns can sign SAR and keep Hunter. Like you said before if the Suns are lucky it will probably take the entire mid level exception to sign SAR, Hunter is looking to get a raise and if the Suns don't give it to him some other team will.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really can't believe how GOOD of shape the Suns are in cap wise. Here is a picture.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/phoenix.htm

They are right at the salary cap. Eisley will come off after next year (just as Amare's deal kicks in).

They do not have ANY untradeable contracts (remember Penny and Googs). If we wanted to move anyone on this team, we could, and get good value. The only contract that looks like it has potential to be a problem is Q's.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
C - Amare
PF - SAR
SF - Marion
SG - JJ
PG - Nash

6th - Q
Bench - Jimmy Jackson
Bench - Steven Hunter
Bench - Leandro Barbosa

I also love Raja Bell as a bench player/ shooter over Jacobsen

We also need some Euro Trash to come in here and flop around like a Great Daned fish then were set.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I haven't payed much attention lately but wasn't Shareef Abdur-Rahim - the current League leader in games played without making Playoffs?

Maybe a Title contender like the Suns have a shot at him?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
devilalum said:
Don't think the Suns can sign SAR and keep Hunter. Like you said before if the Suns are lucky it will probably take the entire mid level exception to sign SAR, Hunter is looking to get a raise and if the Suns don't give it to him some other team will.

Sign SAR - Midlevel
Sign Hunter - The other exception
Resign JJ
Draft Ike #21 (or whoever)
Draft #57 (and most likely not keep him or have a very small contract)
Lose Jake, McCarty and Outlaw (Shirley is a leave it or love it--he's cheap and good bench fodder, plus he's a big--but there really is no advantage or disadvantage to keeping him, so just call him another roster spot)

The only problem we have is backup PG, but with JJ and JJ2 still on the roster, just how crucial is that position? (Maybe #57 might find a diamond in the rough at the position)

Granted, this is probably more fantasy land than reality, but I think it might be POSSIBLE, assuming Sarver is willing to pony up the cash.

That leaves:

Amare
SAR
Shawn
JJ
Nash

Q
JJ2
Hunter
Barbosa
#57 (maybe)
Shirley

That's 12 men on the roster right there.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You would think SAR would get an above the cap offer because he is a very efficient scorer (50.3% shooting this season). However, he's not much as a rebounder at 7.3 rpg in 34.6 minutes this season (this translates into 10.1 rpg). By comparison, Donyell Marshall had a 48 minute average of 12.5 rpg last season and 13 rpg the year before when he played inside.

I'm not sure either are the answer for the Suns, but I can't see SAR going from $14.5 million to $5 million at this stage in his career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan