Friends (1994-2004)

Devilmaycare

King of Technicalities
Reaction score
I wish the Big Bang Theory television show never ended.

About the only programs I watch are Expedition Unknown, documentaries and sports.
And it's funny because I wish BBT never existed. As a mega nerd it did not work for me. I found most of the humor to be cheap and forced. It was laugh track driven too. Try watching it without and it's cringe.

A couple comedies that haven't been mentioned that are good:
The IT Crowd - It's British, so it might not be for everyone.
It's Always Sunny in Philly - A show for the not easily offended :)

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
The diversity of what we find funny is fascinating. I enjoyed Friends when it was first airing...I was their age then. Now, it is NOT funny. In fact, when I catch it recently I wonder how I ever thought it was amusing. I never laughed at The Big Bang Theory.

But my sitcom education was M*A*S*H, The Bob Newhart Show, Mary Tyler Moore, SOAP, Barney Miller, Taxi, etc...the usual classics.

I have enjoyed shows that slipped through the cracks. Notably ALL of the Bonnie Hunt shows (The Building, The Bonnie Hunt Show, etc.), Grounded for Life, Andy Richter Controls the Universe, Better Off Ted...

We just rewatched all of Brooklyn Nine-Nine which is fantastic, and are through season 4 of Scrubs, which mostly holds up quite well.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember it getting bagged on by some for its lack of diversity among the friends back then. Imagine the casting if it were made today?
In the main cast yes. However, one thing I have noticed? Since season one they have featured black characters even if they are only secondary. I don't think that would be the case today though as you stated. I think it would be a more diverse cast for sure.

Friends is still hilarious and most people feel the same. It's still the number one re-run syndicated comedy last time I checked.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man, how did I forget to mention the BBT? Easily my favorite all time half hour comedy show even with it's ups and downs. We don't ever rewatch it start to finish anymore but there's probably 60 episodes we watch fairly regularly.

BBT is freaking hilarious as well. I can rewatch that. Every once in blue moon I will see an episode out there and watch it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I can't stand Big Bang Theory -- I don't know what it is considering how ingrained I am into Pop Culture. Most of the humor is forced, my guess here is that it's very tame -- it doesn't go all the way into touchy feely like Ted Lasso and it isn't edgy at all like Parks and Rec and especially What we Do in the Shadows. Just doesn't work for me.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Yeah, David Schwimmer just ruined everything for me, couldn't stand to watch him in pretty much anything. Well, except for the greatest show of all time, Band of Brothers. And even there he was just great at being easily disliked. Anyway, I actually liked Phoebe and Joey quite a bit along with most everyone's favorite, Chandler. All told, I guess I liked the characters overall (minus Ross) but the humor just didn't work for me.

I liked Married With Children a lot until Steve (David Garrison) left the show. In fact, I had been looking forward to the premiere initially because Garrison and Ron Leavitt were involved in it. Garrison co-starred in one of those great but cancelled far too quickly TV shows called It's Your Move where he played opposite a very young Jason Bateman and Leavitt created both shows. I probably would have stayed with it even after Steve left but for me it was a double whammy when they replaced him with Ted McGinley.

And I loved the Soprano's, I was hooked just from hearing the opening song.

Best opening song for a tv show ever. I always skip tv show intros, but I watched this one every single time. It sets the tone!

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool tribute. 16 years old and super talented. :oops:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited: