Front Office Wants Clement Benched

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
On today's KDUS morning show, Dave Pasch told Don DeBaca and Dale Hellestrae that "certain individuals in the (Cardinals) front office" recommended that Anthony Clement be benched a month ago, that Leonard Davis be moved to tackle, and Reggie Wells given an opportunity at guard.

The coaching staff refused to make the change.

Pasch went on to say that "several players" are still starting who should probably have been benched by now, based solely on production. (No kidding.) And that it's a misconception that the coaches are being forced to play certain players (e.g., Clement) because the organization has invested in them.

I should also say that--even allowing for a late night caused by a delayed flight--Pasch sounded more frustrated and dispirited than I've ever heard him. He ended by saying that "it's gonna get better, because it can't get a whole lot worse."

Pretty revealing stuff, considering the source.

WC

pinnacle

Reaction score
while everyone (not really on this board - but the media and public in general) continues to say the cardinals suck - year end and year out - because of the Bidwills - I am beginning to have a different opinion. I think they are turning over a new leaf and truly want to win and are starting to get a clue.. During the offseason they told mac to punt some coaches...he refused.

While they will not be up for any owners of the year awards any time soon..I think right now I would blame the coaching staff more than ownership..I guess it is ownerships fault for retaining the staff - but there is not many options with the season not being over - and it is difficult because of the supposed lovefest between the players and coaching staff.

Yea..I am tired of forking over $$ and time year after year for this crappy product (and I have forked over alot of both)..- but for a change I think ownership at least wants to do something about it.....they will probably try harder this offseason.

and yes...we should try leonard davis at tackle...he is not getting the job done at guard - I think for most teams he would be playing tackle..may as well give it a shot. I was not that impressed with Wells at training camp (others were impressed) - I thought he had too much baby fat and needed to spend a season working out and then contend next season..but maybe he has good foot movement or something..I still remember the quote from a dallas cowboy dlineman..was it glover?? who said: year they are huge olineman - but they do not move very well.

Last edited:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then I take back all my "mac is a nice guy I wish him luck" crap back

the guy should be hung or shot before he gets out of AZ! He wouldnt bench plummer, now clement and a host of others most likely.

The guy doesnt have a clue on how to be a HC in the NFL.

GOODBYE MORON!

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I really think Michael Bidwill sees the bigger picture. He seems to want to win. If this is true then Mac has sealed his own fate. I don't see Michael as running the team from his office but he's been around the NFL his whole life. I bet he has a pretty dam good grip on what's happening throughout the organization. Including coach and player strengths and weaknesses.

The day has been full of interesting quotes on the radio.

Freddy Jones said in SD when they were 1-15 they used the last part of the season to check out other players in positions the starters weren't getting the job done. Basically said it's time for that here.

Get ready. The storm is here.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wild Card
Pasch went on to say that "several players" are still starting who should probably have been benched by now, based solely on production. (No kidding.) And that it's a misconception that the coaches are being forced to play certain players (e.g., Clement) because the organization has invested in them.

WC

Boy I'd love to know the names although I can guess some of them, AC, Gilmore, possibly McCown, Wilson maybe? By McCown I mean replaced as backup obviously to bench him you'd first have to bench Blake.

It is amazing how a team with 3 wins seems to be so opposed to trying things. The 49ers are already talking about starting Rattay possibly next week because Garcia looked so badly, and the media is again calling for Dorsey.

The rest of the NFL seems to have no issue making changes, the Bucs and Keyshawn, the Broncos suspend Gardener and move Deltha O'Neal from CB to WR, but the Cards keep the same starters week to week for the most part.

I called for AC to be replaced after the first Rams game, he just isn't getting it done.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man after this sunk in...wow...if Dave is correct then Mac should be black balled fom the league.

Seriously, could he be a worse head coach? Does he sleep witrh the players as well? Is he THAT in love with them that he cant make a change?

pinnacle

Reaction score
I would not be shocked to learn in the offseason that the front office would have liked to have seen blake pulled for a game or two...kind of a touchy situation - it is not the front offices style to call the coaching staff and say - pull this guy or that guy and give this guy a shot - we need to freaking know who to get in the offseason at what position - and it is hard to tell if backups are on the bench and never play!

and....while we are at it - are we 100% sure that it was the front office who wanted emmitt? was it a consensus thing? I get the impression rod graves and michael bidwill were not that sold on emmitt..but senior and mac wanted him...not sure the boneheaded decision to sign emmitt was all on the front office..but maybe it was..who knows..

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
On today's KDUS morning show, Dave Pasch told Don DeBaca and Dale Hellestrae that "certain individuals in the (Cardinals) front office" recommended that Anthony Clement be benched a month ago, that Leonard Davis be moved to tackle, and Reggie Wells given an opportunity at guard.

The entire offensive line is a huge disappointment.....now it is even clearer that Emmitt wasn't the problem with the offensive unit. That line has no excuse for the way it has played for most of the year...none.

pinnacle

Reaction score
ok you kasper conspiracy theorists...maybe the front office wants him to play also... I think it is a positive when the front office says to bench a guy like clement who we are stuck with for awhile...it is not about contracts and money. Heck...the whole world sees him suck week after week..and the coaching staff spends 20x more reviewing film week after week than we do..it is almost like: I have no leg to stand on..but I am playing anthony...because I like him and you guys are telling me to not play him -and I do not like being told what to do..

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The front office has every right to be telling Mac what to do. Mac doesn't have a future w/ this team, the Bidwills and Graves do. Clement needs to be on the bench, if not permanently then to wake his ass up. Let's see what Wells or Roundtree or Rodgers can do.

BTW, if Davis' future and past position is tackle, then why the hell has he been playing guard?

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
It almost seems that somewhere along a few weeks ago Mac figured out he was getting the axe and also figured out that the Bidwills are probably stuck with him till the end of year so he will do what he wants. He in his own mind I am sure blames ownership for putting him in a situation to fail. He is of course right in that this year was not a fair year for him with the player turnover but he fumbled making the best of it and he also allowed by past failures in judgement for it to get this bad in the first playce.

The player coddling Mac sees as respect I see as actually harmful. Lack of accountability is death in any management job.

The sceen in the Titans where that coach explains it is pretty telling and the movie trys to balance the good guy bad guy thing about right. You do no favors to players by not being honest about their performances and demanding they perform or sit.

This is pretty sad but I would just can him now. The assistants won't walk they have contracts and to be paid they have to be willing to hold up their end of the bargin or you save all that $.

The front office might be afraid to can Mac now thinking the whole staff will walk and leave them with a very embarrassing sitch.

If I owned the team and one level of management refused to fire or demote a non producing player I wouldn't have a problem firing the coach that is just ridiculous.

I suspect that opposing coaches like Mac since he is a nice guy but also would perk up respect for a frachise that is viewed as bumbling at best.

Bottom line as an organization the Cardinals have an interest in playing reserve players right now just to see what they have but Mac will not do that it isn't in him and he won't start now so it is either fire him or live with how he wants to play it out.

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Re: Re: Front Office Wants Clement Benched

Originally posted by WizardOfAz
.....now it is even clearer that Emmitt wasn't the problem with the offensive unit.

Dang, you beat me to it!

I was all ready to come on the board this morning and blame the entire thing on Smith. I mean he took one carry away from Shipp yesterday and all.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Originally posted by swd1974
Then I take back all my "mac is a nice guy I wish him luck" crap back

the guy should be hung or shot before he gets out of AZ! He wouldnt bench plummer, now clement and a host of others most likely.

The guy doesnt have a clue on how to be a HC in the NFL.

GOODBYE MORON!

Wow!

Well he still is a nice guy.

But ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Why would you NOT bench Clement! I bet Gilmore is in that elite group. I bet Adrian Wilson is someone who the front office wants benched too. Get a clue Mac these guys suck.

GOOD GRAVY!!!!!!!!

Get the whole coaching staff out of there. This is a joke.

At the very least this shows that our front office is at a boiling point. Let's see if this produces a very very very very very aggressive offseason.

Peace
:thumbup:

OP
OP
Wild Card

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Re: Re: Front Office Wants Clement Benched

Originally posted by WizardOfAz
The entire offensive line is a huge disappointment.....now it is even clearer that Emmitt wasn't the problem with the offensive unit. That line has no excuse for the way it has played for most of the year...none.

Wiz:

In this morning's interview, Pasch went on to say that three members of the offensive line "come to play every Sunday." That'd be Kendall, Shelton and Spikes, in Dave's opinion. Said that both Davis and Clement have had their moments this season, but have been "inconsistent."

Pasch also said that the coaches have been reluctant to take a hard line with the o-linemen for fear that they'd "go in the tank." Hellestrae jumped in at that, saying that the o-lines he's played with haven't been known for having thin skins, that players should expect to be benched if they're not getting it done, and that Clement has had "a terrible year."

WC

HIX

Brittney, Anna, Madonna
Reaction score
....Pasch went on to say that "several players" are still starting who should probably have been benched by now, based solely on production....

WC

And the plot thickens:D

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score

The coaching staff refused to make the change.

I should also say that--even allowing for a late night caused by a delayed flight--Pasch sounded more frustrated and dispirited than I've ever heard him. He ended by saying that "it's gonna get better, because it can't get a whole lot worse."

WC

Here's the scary part for me. So much of this game is scouting. Coaches get scouting reports on officials at games for crying out loud. What sort of a coach wouldn't agree with men PAID to do nothing but judge player performance, not just of college and other pro teams, BUT YOUR OWN TEAM. It shows a "me versus them" attitude that will not let you win in this league.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"certain individuals in the (Cardinals) front office"
Translation - When things start to go south, you'll always find a bunch of organization folks "diving for the bushes."

I'm not saying there isn't substance in what they're now leaking. But one of the problems I have with the "Don't Air Your Dirty Linen in Public" school of management is that invariably, everything is hush-hush until things really go wrong. Then the "we knew it was a bad idea all along" creatures climb out of hiding.

I realize that team ownership and management want to exercise at least a modicum of control over what is said to the public, but I believe it would be far healthier if those "certain individuals" who have an axe to grind about anything (I repeat ANYTHING) they feel is impeding the team's ability to win - would simply come right out and say it. Publically.

Would it create a media-circus atmosphere? Probably. But the funny thing is that teams who "open up the windows and let the fresh air" in tend to be the ones who may fight 'n fuss in public; but turn out in the end to be successful.

In business, I've always had problems with what I refer to as the "How Come Club." (i.e. How come you didn't do this? And how come you didn't do that?). Because these people seldom step up to be counted "before the fact." They feel safer asking "How come?" after the milk has already been spilled.

My frustration as a fan is in (a) watching the Cardinal ship sink in slow motion, (b) knowing that something was amiss with the coaching while it sunk, (c) seeing the ship sink out of sight (d) and then having a bunch of folks tell us afterward that "here's what the problem really was."

It's not enough for someone to surface after the damage was done to tell us they knew there was a problem. Someone in the Cardinal organization has to be held accountable for knowing that there was a problem all along, but not doing anything about it at the time.

Last edited:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave McGinnis reports to nobody but Bill Bidwill.

Of course it's dysfunctional. That chain of command doesn't work for the Skins either.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Question: What if we bring in a good coach who isnt demanding to be GM too and he and graves do not see eye to eye on the draft. Who gets the final say skorp?

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Question: What if we bring in a good coach who isnt demanding to be GM too and he and graves do not see eye to eye on the draft. Who gets the final say skorp?

Bidwill JR. :D

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

ESPN did a write-up on this before the last draft, and it said that Graves has the trust of the Bidwells on personnel matters. Rod has the final say in the War Room.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The next draft will be all Graves' draft. His scouts, his call, his final say. That's what he told me.

Last draft was still Ferguson's scouts and split responsibilty in the draft room. And no, I don't know who engineered the trade. I do know that the coaches got to decide which positions were addressed early.

danny l

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
That is simple 1974. Graves isn't going to bring anyone in to interview for the job that would be endangering HIS position.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05