Fugazi

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been listening to a lot of Fugazi over the past couple of months... Probably one of the best and most influential Punk bands to surface throughout the 90s...

What impresses me more about them is that how they avoid becoming commerical at all cost and I must applaud them for that...

"Repeater" has to be one of the most ambitious debuts of all-time and was essentially a trailblazing album that set the standard for early-mid 90s Punk...

What's remarkable is what humanitarians they by getting involved in several worthy causes, putting on affordable concerts and also making sure that their cds sell for cheaper prices compared to bands of their calibre....

It's unfortunate though that many take them out of context since they could care less about the mainstream (especially seldom if never granting interviews to the media) and how PC they might be at times....

Anyways.. who here are also fans of Fugazi?

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuga...who? ;) Nope, sorry, never even heard of them. I should crawl out from under my rock more often! Although, I must say that the last band I remember reading you post about that I was like, Blur who? I'm loving them now!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
I started listening to Fugazi back in high school simply on the fact that Ian McKaye was in the band (I was a big fan of Minor Threat). The label that McKaye is involved in and Fugazi is a part of, Dischord, is centered on DC hardcore and punk music and usually has some pretty good bands.

Been to a few Fugazi shows. One time at an outdoor show at some bar (I can't remember its name) on Van Buren east of 44th street. Was probably 1996? Two guys started fighting in the front near the stage and Ian McKaye actually stopped the show, starting shouting at them, and had them both kicked out before he would finish the set. Pretty crazy stuff. The whole place was going nuts on the two guys.

If you haven't listened to Fugazi before, I'd recommend "13 Songs", which is actually a combination of two prior works. "Repeater" mentioned above by KLL is also very very good. "Red Medicine" is a distant 3rd.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually own a Fugazi cd.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
"Fuhgawz" is a pretty cool band.

Great post-punk music mixed with good life philosophy (well, excepted the straight edge thing).

Sadly, they're in hibernate mode since 2001 (The Argument, last record to date, is a quite good album, even if it doesn't reach the two first Lp heights), but the members founded 2 parallel duet bands ("The Evens" and "French Toast") that play noisy pop music (kind of low-fi mixed with punk... maybe post-post-punk :))

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
Been to a few Fugazi shows. One time at an outdoor show at some bar (I can't remember its name) on Van Buren east of 44th street. Was probably 1996? Two guys started fighting in the front near the stage and Ian McKaye actually stopped the show, starting shouting at them, and had them both kicked out before he would finish the set. Pretty crazy stuff. The whole place was going nuts on the two guys.

That place was called Party Gardens at the time. He is notorious for doing that at shows. Has happened at pretty much every show I have seen which is about 15.

Love Fugazi first saw them in 1990 I believe in St. Louis.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Saw Fugazi back in the early 90's in Portland. To be honest, I was pretty disappointed. I liked the tapes I had heard, (Yes, this was in the era when I listened to that archaic musical medium: audio cassettes.) but the show was mediocre. I think part of it was that the sound guy sucked. There was feedback problems and there just wasn't a good vibe overall.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Neo said:
Saw Fugazi back in the early 90's in Portland. To be honest, I was pretty disappointed. I liked the tapes I had heard, (Yes, this was in the era when I listened to that archaic musical medium: audio cassettes.) but the show was mediocre. I think part of it was that the sound guy sucked. There was feedback problems and there just wasn't a good vibe overall.

I with you, they don't sound very good live, just a bunch of noice

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake