gambo and ash reporting

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm guessing this means PJ is officially done. Let's hope coach plays him more than he did Hunter. If he does, he can contribute. Eight deep - pretty solid. Add PJ and I think we're unstoppable.

Agreed. However, are the Suns willing to sign two bigs for the veteran minimum? If Sarver is serious about a Championship he should grab both if he can.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
So:

Nash
Bell
Hill
Marion
Amare

(In no order)

Diaw
Barbosa
Skinner
Tucker
Strawberry
Marks

No complaints over here.

fordronken

Reaction score
scratch 'in the playoffs' and replace with 'vs. dallas & SA'. the rest of it is kinda blah wouldn't ya say ;)

Call me crazy, but I really don't think that Phoenix will lose a 7 game series against Dallas with a healthy Nash and Stoudemire. I said it before, but if you have 2 all-star players that the other team absolutely cannot guard to save their lives, you win that series. For all of Marion's shortcomings, he's an excellent defender against Dirk, and Diaw is surprisingly adept as well. If they want to run their entire offense through Josh Howard, they're more than welcome to go for it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can this guy score past 3ft.? If he can't then I don't see him playing much more than Hunter. :(

The Suns need a player that likes to play inside. I would be more than happy to get some good defense, rebounding and garbage points inside from Skinner. D'Antoni should realize he's not going to get the whole package for the veteran minimum.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe that (a) the Suns are too cheap to guarantee Skinner even a minimum contract, and (b) Skinner's so desperate to play for Phoenix that he'll take something non-guaranteed.
He's not desperate to play for Phoenix. The league is full up--there aren't that many jobs left. (Think Jumaine Jones last season.)

Look at the bright side: at least they're not giving him two years.

Also, we can't have all of our small forwards be suspect shooters.
Except Raja, you mean. :p

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's not desperate to play for Phoenix. The league is full up--there aren't that many jobs left. (Think Jumaine Jones last season.)

With Skinner everyone knows what you get. He's athletic enough to run the floor, plays some descent defense, rebounds and collects some garbage points underneath the basket. Jumaine Jones never seemed to know what to do in a Suns uniform... probably because he never had a defined role with the Suns or never received adequate playing time. Skinner likes to play inside (he knows his role) and IMO that's what Phoenix needs from a big man off the bench.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
This is a great move, a step towards getting the disposable defensive foul machine like the spurs have with elson/oberto.

Skinner is a good rebounder, but best is he knows how to give quite a few good fouls which is exactly what we will need happening instead of amare getting into foul trouble.

If we also land PJ though this team will be killer, dear god we could throw PJ at duncan, and after 15 mins give him a rest and throw in skinner.

That would equal amare staying out of foul trouble, which is really our teams only very large weakness.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
The Suns need a player that likes to play inside. I would be more than happy to get some good defense, rebounding and garbage points inside from Skinner. D'Antoni should realize he's not going to get the whole package for the veteran minimum.

I agree with you, I just have my doubts about D'Antoni.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Skinner is not only a better player than Jumaine Jones, he's at more of a need position. He probably could have held out for more, but I guess all of the contenders are counting their pennies. Well, except Boston, but maybe they're hoping for Webber.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Skinner is not only a better player than Jumaine Jones, he's at more of a need position.

Exactly. Jumaine Jones did nothing but stand around the three point line when he got playing time.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Exactly. Jumaine Jones did nothing but stand around the three point line when he got playing time.

He wanted to be Tim Thomas, but wasn't.

IMHO, it is easier for an energy defender to be effective in short minutes than a shooter. Most of them are like Jimmy Jackson who didn't really get effective until his minutes into the mid to high twenties. The reason Vinny "Microwave" Johnson was such a big deal was that he didn't need to get the feel of the game before being able to hit shots. It is why having Barbosa come off the bench is so valuable because he seems to be ready to shoot very quickly.

One important thing about Skinner is that his rebounding rate per minute doesn't seem to vary from 0.25 per minute whether in high minutes or low. With the way D'Antoni uses bigs, this is a very important attribute.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
This is a good signing. I hope he gets a chance to play, especially over Marks who was a complete waste of money IMO. At least Skinner fills needs the Suns don't have right now. He'll be limited offensively, but quite frankly, who gives a crap? We've had plenty of offense the past 3 years.

It would be nice if PJ would come aboard too, but that's more of a dream than anything at this point.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
My point was that the two players were in similar situations--the perception was that they took less money to come to Phx, but if you look more closely at what was available, neither player would have gotten more money from another team.

Believe it or not, I thought that was pretty clear from my previous post...sorry about that.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is a good signing. I hope he gets a chance to play, especially over Marks who was a complete waste of money IMO. At least Skinner fills needs the Suns don't have right now. He'll be limited offensively, but quite frankly, who gives a crap? We've had plenty of offense the past 3 years.

It would be nice if PJ would come aboard too, but that's more of a dream than anything at this point.

I'm still hoping for PJ as a late season signing. He's only about playing Duncan anyway.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
My point was that the two players were in similar situations--the perception was that they took less money to come to Phx, but if you look more closely at what was available, neither player would have gotten more money from another team.

Believe it or not, I thought that was pretty clear from my previous post...sorry about that.

No, I got it; I just disagree about Skinner.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Marks and Kerr must be friends or he is a must for team chemistry (hard for me to believe). It's the only reason I see why the Suns signed him. Thus, I would take Skinner over Marks any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I really hope Marks proves me wrong. It would delight me. I want the Suns to keep Skinner even if they add another big like PJ.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who's offering Skinner more, then?

Maybe not more, but I bet a lot of teams would give him the veteran minimum unless the market has totally dried up. If the market has dried up Skinner is available to the Suns (IMO) out of sheer luck and devotion. He definitely is at least a veteran minimum type player.

Another thought. Maybe Skinner coveted being a Sun like the Suns coveted PJ... unrequited love. :)

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I couldn't understand why they were in such a hurry to sign Marks, but as long as they aren't actually counting on him to contribute...

Supposedly he has a decent outside shot. In 2005-06 with the Spurs, he took a total of 71 shoots with 52 (hit 26 for 50%) of them from mid range. (He shot just 11 shots point blank and hit 8). His range does not extend to three point since he missed his all three of his three point attempts.

Perhaps he's expanded his range. It would be the only way he'd make much sense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05