Gambo's Rant about Noah?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
keric said:
Well so much for this nonsense.

Noah will return to Florida.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2401235

As much as I dislike kids for coming out too early, if Noah is told he is a top 3 pick, he MUST come out. It would be monumentally stupid for him to stay at Florida, where he can a) get injured or b) play himself out of the top 3. And all without getting paid.

Of course, if he's told he more of a top 6-10 pick, then he might have some reason to stay if he really wanted to see about getting to that #1 spot (which, for all intents and purposes, is already filled by Greg Oden) in 2007.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
As much as I dislike kids for coming out too early, if Noah is told he is a top 3 pick, he MUST come out. It would be monumentally stupid for him to stay at Florida, where he can a) get injured or b) play himself out of the top 3. And all without getting paid.

Of course, if he's told he more of a top 6-10 pick, then he might have some reason to stay if he really wanted to see about getting to that #1 spot (which, for all intents and purposes, is already filled by Greg Oden) in 2007.

Or---if his father is a retired pro tennis player, with plenty of money, so much so that the money didn't really matter to him that much, and he really likes college, and he figures he'll get drafted and get to play somewhere next year anyway--he might not come out.

He's not one of those typical inner city kids trying to hit the big-time for himself and his family. The reasoning processes might not be the same.

Just a thought.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Or---if his father is a retired pro tennis player, with plenty of money, so much so that the money didn't really matter to him that much, and he really likes college, and he figures he'll get drafted and get to play somewhere next year anyway--he might not come out.

He's not one of those typical inner city kids trying to hit the big-time for himself and his family. The reasoning processes might not be the same.

Just a thought.

Yes, but Yannick Noah is not a multi-millionaire. In his prime he was a top10 tennis player but because of that he is still not Paul Allen.

Other than that who knows Joakim Noah and his relationship with his father? The younger Noah might want to start his own life without his father's supporting.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
hcsilla said:
Yes, but Yannick Noah is not a multi-millionaire. In his prime he was a top10 tennis player but because of that he is still not Paul Allen.

Other than that who knows Joakim Noah and his relationship with his father? The younger Noah might want to start his own life without his father's supporting.

OK. None of us are inside his head right now. Do you have a better reason for his returning to college next year--besides insanity.

No, this kid is not a gazillionaire in his own right (neither is his father). But its fairly clear that he grew up without any real financial needs. There are some kids that are motivated by things other than money.

Didn't Grant Hill take a similar path when he was at Duke (he had a similar background as well)?

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
OK. None of us are inside his head right now. Do you have a better reason for his returning to college next year--besides insanity.

Not at all. That's why I think that he will declare this year.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If Barbosa were in this draft, based upon what everyone knows about Barbosa right now--he would be a top 10 pick.

Hmm. I don't think I agree with that, but let's see how the final draft class looks. Basically, when it gets to the #10 pick, if we ask ourselves, "Would such-and-such team rather have Barbosa than this pick right now?" I think the answer will be for the pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not bet on Noah entering the NBA draft. He has been exposed to celebrity and a certain amount of money.

It would be logical for him to enter the NBA draft (as he could go as high as #1) but I think he is the type of young man (IMO) to return to school because he probably has not felt financial need.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regard to Barbosa being worth a top ten pick, I think he is ready to explode as a combo guard. Whether some teams would grade him that high, probably not. I certainly know he is going to be alot better than some of the players chosen in the top ten in this year's NBA draft. As in every year's draft some players just never blossom.

His penetration, quickness and shooting at 23 years of age is scary. If his play improves (which I think he will) to the level of his talent... the Suns will have a real find.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:
If Barbosa were in this draft, based upon what everyone knows about Barbosa right now--he would be a top 10 pick.

Hmm. I don't think I agree with that, but let's see how the final draft class looks. Basically, when it gets to the #10 pick, if we ask ourselves, "Would such-and-such team rather have Barbosa than this pick right now?" I think the answer will be for the pick.

Judging from your earlier post, I didn't think you would agree with me. Let's do a little review on this after the draft and see.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Pretty interesting to see how the hype around Noah continues to grow up since Florida have won it all.

Honestly, I always thought (and I stated it at least twice in here) that he wouldn't enter the draft in 2006. I would have given it a 1 percent chance at best before the start of the tournament.
Now I'd raise it to maybe 15 percent, but no more. Why?

Because he enjoys his current life on campus in every aspect : he plays Bball with guys who became his best friends, and as naive as it may seems he truly enjoy studying and would like to graduate.

Because he doesn't need money and glory, his father IS a millionaire icon (after his tennis career, he became a famous and popular [bad] reggae singer) and it's not like his mother needed money, either (former model, and now a sculptress).

Because he's not quite NBA-ready, he knows and acknowledges it. By the way, he doesn't look that mich enthousiastic about the idea of playing in the league (he didn't attend the second half of a NY-NJ game because it was "boring"... well just like anyone but still...).

So, if the Hawks had the good idea to give the Suns the 4th pick next year (if he declares) or a very good pick the year after, I'd really like to see him next to Amare. (even if Alexis Ajinca looks like a better french prospect in my opinion).

If I'm wrong, I'll happily eat my hat.:D

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I can't see the Suns getting a pick high enough to draft Noah--this year's draft is so weak, Noah wouldn't last past #2 if he declares.

If the Suns are talking with Toronto at #5, my guess is that any Noah talk was/is a smokescreen, and their real interest is in someone else (Bargnani?).

The closest thing to Barbosa in this year's draft is probably Randy Foye. Right now Foye is projected to go in the 10-15 range...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
I can't see the Suns getting a pick high enough to draft Noah--this year's draft is so weak, Noah wouldn't last past #2 if he declares.

If the Suns are talking with Toronto at #5, my guess is that any Noah talk was/is a smokescreen, and their real interest is in someone else (Bargnani?).

The closest thing to Barbosa in this year's draft is probably Randy Foye. Right now Foye is projected to go in the 10-15 range...

I agree that the Suns probably have very little chance of getting high enough to draft Noah.

In regard to Bargnani, he sounds intriguing on draftnet, but I will admit I'm getting a little nervous about some of the European players the Suns have had interest (Zarko and Skita). However, some of the European players have been outstanding like Divac, Dirk and Gasol. I know there are many others.

Just curious, would you give up Barbosa for a player in the 10-15 range in this draft (I'm not particularly referring to Foye)? I know I would not give up Barbosa for a player in this position in the draft unless there is an absolute sleeper there.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
In regard to Bargnani, he sounds intriguing on draftnet, but I will admit I'm getting a little nervous about some of the European players the Suns have had interest (Zarko and Skita).

You can never be sceptical enough concerning european players but Bargnani is a different story than Zarko and Skita.

Bargnani plays (Skita didn't at all) for a much better team than Zarko did.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Bargnani is more NBA-ready than Noah in my opinion, especially on the offensive side of the ball, but he has some glaring weaknesses too for a PF (not a great rebounder nor defender, lacks some weight and low post moves to really challenge NBA bigs inside, for now).

I think that he will be somewhere between Dirk Nowitzki and a big Martin Muursepp, but he will never be this kind of decently big and fast inside bruiser the Suns desesperatly need, unfortunately.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ollie said:
Bargnani is more NBA-ready than Noah in my opinion, especially on the offensive side of the ball, but he has some glaring weaknesses too for a PF (not a great rebounder nor defender, lacks some weight and low post moves to really challenge NBA bigs inside, for now).

I agree (although I'm not sure Bargnani is more NBA ready than Noah). He is a good shotblocker and 3P-shooter with huge holes in his games between them.

Bargnani reminds me of Raef LaFrentz.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noah and Horford are both coming back to Florida according to a story that hit Florida papers this weekend. Both kids said they want to defend their title.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I agree that the Suns probably have very little chance of getting high enough to draft Noah.

In regard to Bargnani, he sounds intriguing on draftnet, but I will admit I'm getting a little nervous about some of the European players the Suns have had interest (Zarko and Skita). However, some of the European players have been outstanding like Divac, Dirk and Gasol. I know there are many others.

Just curious, would you give up Barbosa for a player in the 10-15 range in this draft (I'm not particularly referring to Foye)? I know I would not give up Barbosa for a player in this position in the draft unless there is an absolute sleeper there.

Barbosa can be a very good player with the development of more tools. If he had a teardrop or runner and a pull up jumper off the penetration, his game would blossom. Right now, opposing teams want to force him to take pull up jumpers or to drive to the hoop in a maze of defenders, either finishing poorly or turing it over on the pass. If his pull up and tear drop were deadly, the strategy of opposing defenses will fall apart, the passing lanes would open up on the drive. On the down side, barbosa is about 180lb, making him easy to body up and push around on defense. He struggles guarding smush parker. I would not give up Barbosa for Foye, or any other player in this draft right now because he is quicker than any of those guys, and if he develops the necessary tools, will be more explosive(upside still strong). I like Foye as a future point/combo prospect because he is less vulnerable defensively to physical play, knows how to use his body, already has the teardrop and runner and can finish better in the lane. I had heard Foye was rated at 15-19, not 10-15 in the draft. If he slipped to 20, I think the suns should take him. I see him a a replacement for House, who can dribble penetrate and dish. He also averaged 5.8 rebounds a game in the big east, an area in which LB and House do not contribute much.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:

I'd keep Barbosa, because I like him, and because he's already capable of contributing--the Suns are looking to compete ASAP. (The advantage with Foye is that he'll be just starting his rookie contract.)

Foye's more conventional style probably makes him the better bet for isolations at the ends of quarters and games, in the future and even right now. The Suns can get that from another position if they have to, though. :shrug:

Errntknght

Reaction score
Just recently Barbs has started to add to his shot selection... I haven't been particularly watching for it but I've noticed one teardrop, 3 pullups and 1 midrange standing jump shot in the last four games. I'd be surprised if there weren't some I missed. It could be the beginning of more court awareness or maybe he has gained confidence in those shots.

He's also been defending SFs a fair amount and while he does get pushed around a bit, it should help him learn to be more physical.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser