Game Thoughts: Cardinals 31 Seahawks 20

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I hate to say this about one of my favorite players, but Bertrand Berry is a waste of money, and of a roster spot.

I would be embarrassed if I performed like that in an NFL game. His two offsides penalties were so bad, ........ I really don't know what to say about it.

The second offsides penalty might have been the single worst play I have seen since Anthony Clement let a DE literally walk around him for a sack because Clement couldn't reach the guy to block him.

Berry, on the second offsides, was:

1. Out of breath on an empty gas tank.

2. Not down in a 3 point stance, or even a linebacker stance. He is just standing there zoning out.

3. He is WAY offsides. By almost a foot or more. And he is barely coherent to what is going on, out on the field.

4. Once the ball was actually snapped he took two steps and leaned on the guy putting forth ZERO effort.

This is a huge step down from a guy that was a vocal leader for this defense. Either he cannot except his role on this team, or he is just completely 100% done as an NFL player.

Regardless that kind of effort, and attitude CANNOT be accepted by our team, players, and coaches.

Thank goodness, my stupid, and reactionary butt is not coaching or I would cut Berry, and bring Chris Harrington to the active roster.

At least show some concerning, and effort.

That was poor on Berry's part. I can no longer root for the guy after that.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
TV had a close up of Berry during or right after Seattle's first drive and he looked winded or tired at that point. I remember thinking that the NFL must be really tough if the guys are already gassed. So I wonder if something was wrong with Berry other than age?

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
The funny thing was, how in the world was it a 4th and 1 at the 11 yard line, when Wells' slapping 15 yard penalty following a first and goal at the 3, should have been a first and goal from the 18 yard line? Does anyone have an answer for this?

It is always called this way. The unsportsmanlike is after the play on which they got a first down, therefore the ball is moved back, and it becomes first and 10. Fox was showing it as first and goal, and I was hollering that it should be first and 10. I can't cite the exact rule, but I have seen this many times.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Mitch, doesn't Beanie Wells remind you of O. J. Anderson, the way he runs over opposing players? If he continues to improve we most certainly have a winner in town. :) O.J. Anderson, who would have thought? It broke my heart when the Cards let him go to the Giants.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Mitch, doesn't Beanie Wells remind you of O. J. Anderson, the way he runs over opposing players? If he continues to improve we most certainly have a winner in town. :) O.J. Anderson, who would have thought? It broke my heart when the Cards let him go to the Giants.

I agree. But I think Beanie is actually quicker/faster than OJ was...

:thumbup:

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
I agree. But I think Beanie is actually quicker/faster than OJ was...

:thumbup:

I agree, Beanie is fast, very fast, but O. J. was very powerful and hard to bring down past the line of scrimmage. If we are both right in our assumptions, the Cards should represent us well in the games ahead.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
TV had a close up of Berry during or right after Seattle's first drive and he looked winded or tired at that point. I remember thinking that the NFL must be really tough if the guys are already gassed. So I wonder if something was wrong with Berry other than age?

I noticed it too Duck.

Tell me why with around 8 minutes left in the game Berry was left in & obviously doing nothing? Do the coaches not see how bad Berry is? The guy was definately gased in the 4th quarter and had no business being in the game at that point. Will Davis showed more in his brief stint in the game than Bert did all day!!!

Anyone else notice that the Hawks used Berry's lack of sealing the edge many times yesterday? Shades of Berry when he actually started.

As Rugby said, it's time to cut Berry & add Harrington to the roster & split some time with he and Davis.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

And he can make guys miss. On one play a Seattle LB was in the Cards backfield and in position to make the tackle for no gain or a loss but Wells made a little move and ran right by the guy. I was thinking that the LB probably thought the Cards were using holograms.

:D

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
With the depth we had in our front seven on defense many are quite used to not having to play for real long stretches and now that we had two go down before one game.They did'nt get the rest breaks they were used to getting in every game leading up to this one.

Maybe they are out of shape or just old in Berry's place but I saw guys running to the sidelines asking to come out because they were tired and or gased and asking for replacements before they were due to switch.

Maybe we need some extra Hell & Backs after practice to increase some Cardio?:DI sure can't wait to get Hayes and Okeafor back.Hope neither of them have herniation problems.Hope it is just back spasms.

First time this year,I've seen players ask out of the game before Coach Davis asked for a change.Maybe it was all the running they were doing chasing screens down.It sure was something to see.I'm sure coach Whiz will get on top of it.We've got Jackson and Johnson in two weeks in a row and both on the road and they both will test everything you've got.

Plus chasing Vince Young will be fun too.Tennessee showed they can score a bunch in a hurry yesterday in the fourth quarter.We can't let down on them,even with a big lead in Nashville.

ReddBird

Registered
Reaction score
Nice write-up but too harsh on the defensive side.

From this morning's Seattle Times: Even with this week's healthier offensive line, the Hawks couldn't protect Hasselbeck. He was sacked four times and hurried on almost every throw he made.

Better than a C-, by my call.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I hate to say this about one of my favorite players, but Bertrand Berry is a waste of money, and of a roster spot.

I would be embarrassed if I performed like that in an NFL game. His two offsides penalties were so bad, ........ I really don't know what to say about it.

The second offsides penalty might have been the single worst play I have seen since Anthony Clement let a DE literally walk around him for a sack because Clement couldn't reach the guy to block him.

Thank goodness, my stupid, and reactionary butt is not coaching or I would cut Berry, and bring Chris Harrington to the active roster.

The guy is done... he is usually decent to good first 6-7 games of the season and then is gassed out. Obviously, he still thinks he can play effectively. It is hard for players to accept their decline.

We did a terrible job by not addressing the LB position in the previous offseason. Now we have Chike contract expiring, BB done, Haggans the old guy although so far he is playing well. Dansby most likely gone. Yuch!

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Graham needs to make the probowl. dude is amazing.

Dude was our mvp in the first half yesterday. He was booming punts. And that flutter punt along the sideline downed on the 1 was a thing of beauty.

Too bad McFadden get burned on the very first play from scrimmage for 60 yds!
He had no idea where the ball was, none.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Nice write-up but too harsh on the defensive side.

From this morning's Seattle Times: Even with this week's healthier offensive line, the Hawks couldn't protect Hasselbeck. He was sacked four times and hurried on almost every throw he made.

Better than a C-, by my call.

What can you say about our defense after two games where they gave up 416 yards to the Texans and 472 yards to the Seahawks and had a terrific and critical goal line stand in each game? Stopping the Texans completely and holding Seattle to a FG after a 1st and goal at the Cards one.

I think the team needs to wear one color uniform in the first half and a different color in the 2nd half. Because I've never seen a team that could turn from champs to chumps and back to champs like this one.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score

Berry, on the second offsides, was:

1. Out of breath on an empty gas tank.

2. Not down in a 3 point stance, or even a linebacker stance. He is just standing there zoning out.

3. He is WAY offsides. By almost a foot or more. And he is barely coherent to what is going on, out on the field.

4. Once the ball was actually snapped he took two steps and leaned on the guy putting forth ZERO effort.

This is a huge step down from a guy that was a vocal leader for this defense. Either he cannot except his role on this team, or he is just completely 100% done as an NFL player.

Regardless that kind of effort, and attitude CANNOT be accepted by our team, players, and coaches.

Thank you for saying it for me. I was going WTF when Berry was blatantly offsides. It was just a bad, bad look for him yesterday.

Good post, Mitch. Agreed with a lot of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05