Game Thread: Suns @ Mavericks, January 4, 2012

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can Channing Frye go back to Tucson? If he's not hitting 3's, he is a huge liability. He's 6'10" and he can't rebound, I can't comprehend that....

Apparently you haven't been paying attention.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get why everyone is so frustrated. Just enjoy this short season and the final season for Nash with the Suns. For those expecting a ring, wake up.

Who said anything about a ring? Or the playoffs? It's UNWATCHABLE basketball by guys who are past their prime, so there's not even a hope for "next year." Don't even know how you can tolerate it. It's like knowing the world will end tomorrow and you choose to spend your last night of the world watching an Adam Sandler movie: You already know there's no future, and the present is just torture.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
He is second in the league right now in rebounds per 48 minutes played. So is Dwight Howard the only one who can rebound?
'10-'11

Channing Frye - 6.6 Reb/game, 58th in League.

Dwight Howard - 14.1 Reb/game, 2nd in League.

Good comparison...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'10-'11

Channing Frye - 6.6 Reb/game, 58th in League.

Dwight Howard - 14.1 Reb/game, 2nd in League.

Good comparison...

Are you just trying to play games here? First, you rip him because he's shooting poorly this season and make the point that if he's not shooting he has no value because he can't rebound. When someone calls you on it you don't rely on his current stats (the ones he's putting up while not shooting well) but instead use last seasons numbers. So far, this season, he's averaging 8.7 boards per game and he's doing it in about 22 minutes per game.

We have much bigger problems than Channing Frye but for some reason, a lot of people like to lay all the blame at his feet and I just don't get it. He's a team first guy, works his butt off out there, has a great attitude and tries to fill whatever role the coach asks of him. He's a good role player (sometimes a very good role player) but it's not his fault that we are so talent-bare that we need him to play like a star.

Steve

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get why everyone is so frustrated. Just enjoy this short season and the final season for Nash with the Suns. For those expecting a ring, wake up.

Here is why.......the Suns have apparently no direction and no plan. I could stomach watching an inferior team if the team had a plan and was doing something. This team has none. They are not getting younger, not retooling and not trying to pull off a big trade.

That frustrates the hell out of me because this entire season is waste of everyone's time.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
We have much bigger problems than Channing Frye but for some reason, a lot of people like to lay all the blame at his feet and I just don't get it.
Until just recently, Frye has played soft for a big man, in facing the Centers and Power Forwards of the league. A one-dimensional player who camped out 23 feet from the basket waiting for a pass. 'So limited and predictable.

He has finally started rebounding like a big man. It should have happened sooner. And he is still primarily a Wing playing in the body of a Center.

You don't compete in the NBA playing soft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until just recently, Frye has played soft for a big man, in facing the Centers and Power Forwards of the league. A one-dimensional player who camped out 23 feet from the basket waiting for a pass. 'So limited and predictable.

He has finally started rebounding like a big man. It should have happened sooner. And he is still primarily a Wing playing in the body of a Center.

You don't compete in the NBA playing soft.

Well, sure, life would be a lot better if Channing Frye was the second coming of Bill Russell. He isn't. And you can't expect him to rebound like Howard when he spends most of his time out at the three point line. But, we've been a much better team when Frye has played his best. And while he's not a power forward, he's not a wing player either. AFAIC, he's in the same situation as Jared Dudley. A very good role player that's having to pretend to be a quality starter.

Steve

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Are you just trying to play games here? First, you rip him because he's shooting poorly this season and make the point that if he's not shooting he has no value because he can't rebound. When someone calls you on it you don't rely on his current stats (the ones he's putting up while not shooting well) but instead use last seasons numbers. So far, this season, he's averaging 8.7 boards per game and he's doing it in about 22 minutes per game.

We have much bigger problems than Channing Frye but for some reason, a lot of people like to lay all the blame at his feet and I just don't get it. He's a team first guy, works his butt off out there, has a great attitude and tries to fill whatever role the coach asks of him. He's a good role player (sometimes a very good role player) but it's not his fault that we are so talent-bare that we need him to play like a star.

Steve
It's going to be the 7th game of the season, and people are trying to claim that he miraculously became a good rebounder, when his career stats say the complete opposite (which is why I used last season's stats as an example). I'm not blaming him for the Suns being a failure, that's the FO's fault for not acquiring talent.

You're right, however, he's a good role player, but only on a limited basis. He used to be able to stretch the floor and open up the paint because teams respected his 3, however, since he's been terribly inconsistent, a lot of teams have been putting SG's/SF's on him and all the bigs are staying inside. He's a liability more than an asset, but that goes for most of the team...

OP
OP
Griffin

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's going to be the 7th game of the season, and people are trying to claim that he miraculously became a good rebounder, when his career stats say the complete opposite
Yes, throughout his career Frye has been a relatively poor rebounder given his size.
He used to be able to stretch the floor and open up the paint because teams respected his 3, however, since he's been terribly inconsistent
Frye is shooting 45% from the floor and 40% from 3pt for his career. He shot 45% (44% 3pt) in 09/10 and 43% (39% 3pt) last season. That's pretty consistent since coming to Phoenix. Yes, he shot the ball poorly this season, but, as you said, it's only been six games.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Who said anything about a ring? Or the playoffs? It's UNWATCHABLE basketball by guys who are past their prime, so there's not even a hope for "next year." Don't even know how you can tolerate it. It's like knowing the world will end tomorrow and you choose to spend your last night of the world watching an Adam Sandler movie: You already know there's no future, and the present is just torture.
I literally LOL'd....:lmao:
Thanks for that striking analogy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake