Game Thread: Suns vs. Pistons

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Marbury can't feed anyone if they are just standing around waiting for Marbury to get them an open shot on every posession rather than moving around and getting into position.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The entire team had 12 assists and 18 turnovers. No offensive plan and too much careless, one-on-one improvising. The team needs to dramatically overhaul the way it prepares for games.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbeecham
I think White hurt us a lot in the 1st half. He bumbled about 5 rebounds and a few passes. It's hard to rebound with one hand.

White was struggling, but the turning point was when Frank Johnson tried to play the Ultra small lineup. I also didn't like many of Marbury's shots tonight. He went to the basket of fair amount of times, so that was good. However I did not like his long shots early in the shot clock. They always seemed to break positive momentum as well.

Joe Mama

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
Marbury can't feed anyone if they are just standing around waiting for Marbury to get them an open shot on every posession rather than moving around and getting into position.

That' weak. It's his job to reach his players. It's his team, isn't it? If he wants them to move to the spot, he should get on their ass. Lots of talk from this team before the season.

Marbury has picked his spots.

5 assists.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by sly fly
Don't blame any of this sh** on FJ, either.

FJ had horrible substitutions all night long. Suns were up 16-6 in the 1st and FJ takes out the main guys with 6 minutes left in the qtr and the Suns lose the qtr. The Suns come out in the 3rd and go on an 18-6 run or something like that and then FJ subs the guys out and the Suns lose their lead again.

Still the Suns lost tonight because of free throws. I don't understand why the Suns didn't get the calls. They didn't settle for outside jumpers all night long. They actually attacked the basket and were aggressive and didn't get calls. They got outshot at the free throw line 39 fta to 17 fta. There were 30 fouls called against the Suns to 18 against the Pistons. Other than that the Suns didn't play that bad.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That' weak. It's his job to reach his players. It's his team, isn't it? If he wants them to move to the spot, he should get on their ass. Lots of talk from this team before the season.

Marbury has picked his spots.

5 assists.

Trade Marbury! Trade Marbury!

If you think Stephon Marbury is even one of the TOP 5 things wrong with this team, you are SMOKING.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
FJ had horrible substitutions all night long. Suns were up 16-6 in the 1st and FJ takes out the main guys with 6 minutes left in the qtr and the Suns lose the qtr. The Suns come out in the 3rd and go on an 18-6 run or something like that and then FJ subs the guys out and the Suns lose their lead again.

Still the Suns lost tonight because of free throws. I don't understand why the Suns didn't get the calls. They didn't settle for outside jumpers all night long. They actually attacked the basket and were aggressive and didn't get calls. They got outshot at the free throw line 39 fta to 17 fta. There were 30 fouls called against the Suns to 18 against the Pistons. Other than that the Suns didn't play that bad.

Unbelievable. It's all FJ's fault. No wonder coaches don't last in this league. :confused:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Unbelievable. It's all FJ's fault. No wonder coaches don't last in this league. :confused:

You're the one who is blind. You think it's all Marbury's fault? That's ridiculous!

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When you take out Amare Stoudemire and JJ and put in Penny and Barbosa and expect to compete against a bigger Pistons team then yeah it is FJ's fault if he thinks that is going to work.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin

That's true to a certain extent, but Amare Stoudemire and the other big men or always open on the pick and roll. Seldom do they get the ball. This offense just stinks. There really is no game plan.

Joe Mama

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
Trade Marbury! Trade Marbury!

If you think Stephon Marbury is even one of the TOP 5 things wrong with this team, you are SMOKING.

Nah, Marbury can stay.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One of the worst things about this loss is that the Suns now have the same record as the AZ Cardinals.........pathetic.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Suns really fold it in at the end now....all the time. They panic and fall apart. They seem to have all the skill in the world but no brains behind it.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
You're the one who is blind. You think it's all Marbury's fault? That's ridiculous!

Did I say it was all of Marbury's fault? :confused:

It's everybody's fault! But, the leader has to take some responsibility. Marbury is the leader. He has to ask himself what can he do different to get everybody involved. All I'm seeing is the same crap every game.

If he comes out next game, gets 15 assists... and the Suns win, then we'll know where "some" of their struggles came from.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
One of the worst things about this loss is that the Suns now have the same record as the AZ Cardinals.........pathetic.

I really didn't need to know that....REALLY!!!!

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I also think the Phoenix Suns and Arizona Cardinals both have incompetent head coaches, but that's really were the similarities end. The Arizona Cardinals are a talent deficient team. The Phoenix Suns are not. The Phoenix Suns have also only lost one game badly, and even that when they made somewhat respectable at the end. Every other game they were in through the last minute. Cardinals usually just get their asses kicked. Despite the poor record so far most of us can see right future for the Phoenix Suns. The same cannot be said for the Arizona Cardinals.

That said, I'm not really happy with the way anybody on the Phoenix Suns has played so far this season. Each guy has had his bright spots, but the overall performance has left something to be desired.

It is not entirely Marbury's fault that he isn't getting the other players involved. Still, at times he is playing selfish basketball. Amare Stoudemire is forcing most of his shots. Joe Johnson still can't she consistently from outside. Shawn Marion isn't shooting well from outside. I could go on and on.

Joe Mama

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Did I say it was all of Marbury's fault? :confused:

It's everybody's fault! But, the leader has to take some responsibility. Marbury is the leader. He has to ask himself what can he do different to get everybody involved. All I'm seeing is the same crap every game.

If he comes out next game, gets 15 assists... and the Suns win, then we'll know where "some" of their struggles came from.

Remember, an assist is only an assist when the person you pass it to actually makes a shot.

Our shooting wasn't as bad tonight, but up until tonight everyone was shooting terribly. How many assists would Marbury have if JJ and Shawn actually were shooting better? And wouldn't that give Marbury more confidence to pass to his shooters if he thought there was a good chance they could actually make the shot?

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
At least we had some really good highlights this game.

Amare had a couple great dunks over Ben Wallace!! That's gotta make it to a poster!! Dunking with authority over the Defensive MVP the last two years. :thumbup:

Also, the ball off of Jahidi White's head when he went to rebound a wide open rebound was priceless!!! :D That's going to be on ESPN tonight for sure!!! :D

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Though even if Colangelo had the guts to fire Frank Johnson and for once get a REAL coach instead of a former player, assistant coach or something like that... who would be available?

George Karl? Mike Fratello?

I am not sure I really like the possibilities. Maybe Rudy T or Pat Riley want to coach again, well Riley probably not soon enough.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Lets let Penny coach...then he don't need to be warmed up!

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
No wonder coaches don't last in this league.

It is the coach's responsibility to make sure that his players are not making the same basic errors game after game. Even if Frank Johnson is saying "Move without the ball" in every practice and every time out, and the players still aren't doing it, he is still a bad coach. If the coach can't get the players to listen to him, he is not qualified for the job.

No one said it was easy.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
George Karl? Mike Fratello?

I am not sure I really like the possibilities. Maybe Rudy T or Pat Riley want to coach again, well Riley probably not soon enough.

I agree the pickings are slim. However, two college coaches I would like to see with the Suns would be Coach K from Duke, or better yet for the local crowd would be Lute Olsen from U of A!! I got to meet Lute once, and he is a very classy guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05